Augustine Commission Summary Report Available

Old September 14th 09, 03:15 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Derek Lyons

Default Augustine Commission Summary Report Available

David Spain wrote:

Both summary report and transmittal letter are available he

http://www.nasa.gov/offices/hsf/rela...ry_report.html

Haven't read through either yet, but wanted to get this out there.

First impression on one cup of coffee...

Gad, what a useless piece of fluffy crap.

"We should be safe, really safe, in exploring space. Oh, and NASA
should live within its budget or Congress should increase its budget,
or whatever."

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old September 14th 09, 07:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Derek Lyons wrote:
David Spain wrote:

Both summary report and transmittal letter are available he

http://www.nasa.gov/offices/hsf/rela...ry_report.html

Haven't read through either yet, but wanted to get this out there.

First impression on one cup of coffee...

Gad, what a useless piece of fluffy crap.

"We should be safe, really safe, in exploring space. Oh, and NASA
should live within its budget or Congress should increase its budget,
or whatever."

It's the fact that so much money (tens of billions of dollars) is
involved regarding decisions like this. The committee did exactly what I
thought it would do...kicked the problem upstairs, so that if there was
any negative fall-out, it wouldn't be on their heads.

Pat
Old September 14th 09, 07:14 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
It's the fact that so much money (tens of billions of dollars) is involved
regarding decisions like this. The committee did exactly what I thought it
would do...kicked the problem upstairs, so that if there was any negative
fall-out, it wouldn't be on their heads.

That's exactly what they were supposed to do, investigate and then present
options for moving forward. It's the politicians that hold the purse
strings, not NASA.

Jeff
--
"Take heart amid the deepening gloom
that your dog is finally getting enough cheese" - Deteriorata - National

Old September 15th 09, 02:37 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
nathanjon

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
It's the fact that so much money (tens of billions of dollars) is involved
regarding decisions like this. The committee did exactly what I thought it
would do...kicked the problem upstairs, so that if there was any negative
fall-out, it wouldn't be on their heads.

That's exactly what they were supposed to do, investigate and then present
options for moving forward. It's the politicians that hold the purse strings,
not NASA.

It's the other way around, politics 101, if you want to kill/delay/cover-up
something, then hire a commission to study it. Obama now has a blue ribbon
panel saying it's ok to kill the Vision, for all the reasons listed in the
report.
So Obama can deflect any criticism from the administration.

But not suggesting any replacement, so the /new direction/, if any, has
been kicked upstairs. The decision of the vision was made before Obama
even took office.

Jeff

Old September 15th 09, 05:43 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Derek Lyons

"Jeff Findley" wrote:

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
hdakotatelephone...
It's the fact that so much money (tens of billions of dollars) is involved
regarding decisions like this. The committee did exactly what I thought it
would do...kicked the problem upstairs, so that if there was any negative
fall-out, it wouldn't be on their heads.

That's exactly what they were supposed to do, investigate and then present
options for moving forward.

Except, at least in the summary, they adroitly avoided providing any
concrete options.

D.

Old September 16th 09, 03:52 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
nathanjona

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
"Jeff Findley" wrote:

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
thdakotatelephone...
It's the fact that so much money (tens of billions of dollars) is involved
regarding decisions like this. The committee did exactly what I thought it
would do...kicked the problem upstairs, so that if there was any negative
fall-out, it wouldn't be on their heads.

That's exactly what they were supposed to do, investigate and then present
options for moving forward.

Except, at least in the summary, they adroitly avoided providing any
concrete options.

Remember, Obama got to hand-pick the commision. It would be
surprising if they suggested anything the President disagreed with.
If Obama wanted to continue the Bush policy (ya-right) he could
have as easily appointed different people to say just that.

I was hoping for a new idea coming from the commission though.
Kinda dissapointed they didn't make one.

D.