Space Colonization, Settlement, Humanization (shared spaces)

Old September 4th 09, 12:59 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Howard Brazee

Default Space Colonization, Settlement, Humanization (shared spaces)

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 03:58:36 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Wealth changes things,

Wealth also means that you are less likely to be able to find enough
fools that will be prepared to put up with a pretty desolate 'colony'
with **** all of the plants and animals that are back here on earth,
no decent food, etc etc etc for the rest of their 'lives'

Wealth doesn't eliminate fools. Nor does it eliminate criminals we
want to get rid of, nor religious fundamentalists who aren't
compatible with those left behind.

- James Madison
Old September 4th 09, 01:10 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Rod Speed

Howard Brazee wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Wealth changes things,

Wealth also means that you are less likely to be able to find enough
fools that will be prepared to put up with a pretty desolate 'colony'
with **** all of the plants and animals that are back here on earth,
no decent food, etc etc etc for the rest of their 'lives'

Wealth doesn't eliminate fools.

Never said it did. It does change what **** fools are prepared to put up with.

Bet **** all of the wealthy will be prepared to put up with that sort of ****
to eliminate just one of the microscopic risks of extinction of the species,
or even be able to convince enough of the non wealthy to do that either.

Nor does it eliminate criminals we want to get rid of, nor religious
fundamentalists who aren't compatible with those left behind.

Having fun thrashing that straw man ?

Old September 7th 09, 02:28 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Walter Bushell[_2_]

In article ,
"Rod Speed" wrote:

Howard Brazee wrote
jonathan wrote

I just don't get the logic of colonizing. I can understand the
instinctive appeal only. But until someone can demonstrate
the ability to be 'self-sufficent' here on Earth, where all the
resources needed are literaly dirt cheap, then maybe I'll
entertain the notion of doing the same on another world.
Where three zeros at least are added to the price of
anything and everything.

The reason we have an instinctive appeal to spread out is because it works.

Wrong.

A big disaster doesn't kill out those who are far enough away.

That isnt the reason we spread out.

Picture a huge disaster.

That isnt the reason we spread out.

Also: Some people are willing to put up with costs and
hardships to keep their culture, freedom, religion, or whatever.

That isnt the reason they do it.

The cost of emigrating can be pretty expensive

Its much cheaper now that it ever was.

- but still attractive enough to do so.

But not to space.

It may always be more expensive than staying
home - but it's going to get cheaper than it is now.

That remains to be seen. And it remains to be seen
whether it will ever be cheap enough to warrant doing it.

And it remains to be seen if there will ever be any stupid enough
to put up with the massive downsides of space colonisation too.

We haven't colonized the sea bed or Antartica, far more friendly place,
air and wa
Old September 7th 09, 04:37 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Rod Speed

Walter Bushell wrote
[...]

Another premature ejaculation, thats all we got.

Old September 7th 09, 02:50 PM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Pat Flannery

Walter Bushell wrote:
And it remains to be seen if there will ever be any stupid enough
to put up with the massive downsides of space colonisation too.

We haven't colonized the sea bed or Antartica, far more friendly place,
air and wa

Bushell's posting was stopped in mid-word as the beak of the Emperor
Penguin penetrated the base of his brain from behind.
He had forgotten a key fact: Although Antarctica did indeed have air and
water, it also had the secret Nazi base at Neuschwabenland; and its
saucers were ever ready to fly into action to prevent any hint of its
existence from being discovered.
If only he had wondered about the strange sound that emanated from the
fireplace moments earlier, Walter Bushell might still be alive...as he
would have seen the flightless murder bird descend via the chimney.
But the Vril rays from the optically cloaked BMW Flugelrad IX that
rested atop that chimney fogged his mind into a state of complacency as
the creature waddled towards him, its Nazi wingband firmly in place, the
SS runes on its neck chain glittering evilly in the fading evening light.
Its Pavlovian-conditioned brain knew only one simple equation: A sure
kill meant a big and tasty fish once it had returned to the saucer.

Pat

Old September 11th 09, 05:23 PM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Walter Bushell[_2_]

In article ,
"jonathan" wrote:

We've had a nice run without having to fear a world wide nuclear
war, I'd hate to see Americans having to learn how to 'duck and cover'
once again.

That was for A bombs, not H bombs.
Old September 12th 09, 04:03 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Day Brown[_4_]

Walter Bushell wrote:
In article ,
"jonathan" wrote:

We've had a nice run without having to fear a world wide nuclear
war, I'd hate to see Americans having to learn how to 'duck and cover'
once again.

That was for A bombs, not H bombs.

Either way, I remember the Hippy poster in case of nuclear attack.
"Put your hands behind your head. Bend down, put your head between your
knees. Then, kiss your ass goodbye."
Old September 12th 09, 06:05 AM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Walter Bushell[_2_]

In article ,
Day Brown wrote:

Walter Bushell wrote:
In article ,
"jonathan" wrote:

We've had a nice run without having to fear a world wide nuclear
war, I'd hate to see Americans having to learn how to 'duck and cover'
once again.

That was for A bombs, not H bombs.

Either way, I remember the Hippy poster in case of nuclear attack.
"Put your hands behind your head. Bend down, put your head between your
knees. Then, kiss your ass goodbye."

About the size of it. By the time "duck and cover" was mandatory it was
already too late.