Colin Pilinger to head inquiry into what went wrong with Beagle...

Old January 27th 04, 10:01 PM
Tom Merkle

Default Colin Pilinger to head inquiry into what went wrong with Beagle...

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...p?story=485142

Wow, I'm sure that'll be a real serious investigation, headed up by
the Beagle project director.

"We have found that the fault was not with the lander, but with
NASA!"

The only bigger joke in this article is the assertion that Britain
will ever build a Beagle II...

Tom Merkle
Old January 28th 04, 08:54 PM
Cardman

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:01:15 -1000, Tom Merkle
wrote:

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...p?story=485142

Wow, I'm sure that'll be a real serious investigation, headed up by
the Beagle project director.

Well, he did know it better than anyone else, where you have to ask
who else could do it?

"We have found that the fault was not with the lander, but with
NASA!"

I don't think...

Unless NASA has been sending Beagle II viruses through MGS and
Odyssey, then all that NASA done was check over the Beagle II design
and give it their thumbs up.

The only bigger joke in this article is the assertion that Britain
will ever build a Beagle II...

Beagle III. Coming to a planet near you soon.

Cardman
http://www.cardman.com
http://www.cardman.co.uk
Old January 29th 04, 05:23 PM
Michael Gallagher

wrote:

Wow, I'm sure that'll be a real serious investigation, headed up by
the Beagle project director.

"We have found that the fault was not with the lander, but with
NASA!"

No, no, -- they'll blame George Bush, not NASA.

The only bigger joke in this article is the assertion that Britain
will ever build a Beagle II...

Well, if Britain wants to be a space faring power in its own right
instead of just a cog in the ESA machine, they'd damn well better plan
a whole pack of Beagles. Writing it off over afternoon tea is not the
way to go.

Old January 29th 04, 06:13 PM
Cardman

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:23:36 -0500, Michael Gallagher
wrote:

Well, if Britain wants to be a space faring power in its own right
instead of just a cog in the ESA machine,

No chance, when apart from the one brief government funded rocket
project, then they have faced the fact that we are not having out own
space program any time soon.

they'd damn well better plan a whole pack of Beagles.

That is a different factor.

Although the UK has been terrible at funding rocket development and
support, unlike our EU neighbours, we have been excellent in funding
the probe technology that rides upon those same rockets.

Huygens, Beagle II and a lot of former work with NASA I recall.

Writing it off over afternoon tea is not the way to go.

The UK just likes to get the best value for our space funding, when
there is not much science return in paying to launch rockets.

If the UK has better experts concerning space probes than the other EU
counties is hard to say, but we sure have better experience.

Cardman
http://www.cardman.com
http://www.cardman.co.uk
Old February 1st 04, 01:58 AM
Michael Gallagher

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:13:56 +0000, Cardman
wrote:

.... unlike our EU neighbours, we have been excellent in funding
the probe technology that rides upon those same rockets .....

Good.