Airplane Scientists

Old December 17th 03, 06:31 AM
Rand Simberg

Default Airplane Scientists

In honor of the centennial, I have an essay about the brothers Wright
up at TechCentralStation:

http://www.techcentralstation.com/121703D.html

Old December 18th 03, 02:12 AM
Derek Lyons

h (Rand Simberg) wrote:

In honor of the centennial, I have an essay about the brothers Wright
up at TechCentralStation:

http://www.techcentralstation.com/121703D.html

ROTFLMAO.

White Knight/SS1 is an incremental approach to the mission of the X33?

I guess the RC car I bought today as a Christmas gift for a friends
son is an increment on his way to be being a NASCAR driver then.

D.
--
The STS-107 Columbia Loss FAQ can be found
at the following URLs:

Text-Only Version:
http://www.io.com/~o_m/columbia_loss_faq.html

Enhanced HTML Version:

Corrections, comments, and additions should be
e-mailed to , as well as posted to
sci.space.history and sci.space.shuttle for
discussion.

Old December 18th 03, 02:21 AM
Rand Simberg

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:12:16 -0800 (PST), in a place far, far away,
(Derek Lyons) made the phosphor on my

(Rand Simberg) wrote:

In honor of the centennial, I have an essay about the brothers Wright
up at TechCentralStation:

http://www.techcentralstation.com/121703D.html

ROTFLMAO.

White Knight/SS1 is an incremental approach to the mission of the X33?

Of course it is.

I guess the RC car I bought today as a Christmas gift for a friends
son is an increment on his way to be being a NASCAR driver then.

In a way, yes.

Old December 18th 03, 03:10 PM
Kaido Kert

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
h (Rand Simberg) wrote:

In honor of the centennial, I have an essay about the brothers Wright
up at TechCentralStation:

http://www.techcentralstation.com/121703D.html

ROTFLMAO.

White Knight/SS1 is an incremental approach to the mission of the X33?

Well, IMO no. The mission of X-33 was to be an excuse for funnelling money
into certain companies, and later decorate some hangars.
White Knight/SS1 has an entirely different mission.

-kert

Old December 18th 03, 03:14 PM
Rand Simberg

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 06:10:53 -0800 (PST), in a place far, far away,
"Kaido Kert" made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

ROTFLMAO.

White Knight/SS1 is an incremental approach to the mission of the X33?

Well, IMO no. The mission of X-33 was to be an excuse for funnelling money
into certain companies, and later decorate some hangars.
White Knight/SS1 has an entirely different mission.

I was tempted to say that, too, but I decided uncharacteristically to
give the question more respect than it deserved.

Old December 18th 03, 04:24 PM
Frank Scrooby

Hi all

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 06:10:53 -0800 (PST), in a place far, far away,
"Kaido Kert" made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

ROTFLMAO.

White Knight/SS1 is an incremental approach to the mission of the X33?

Well, IMO no. The mission of X-33 was to be an excuse for funnelling

money
into certain companies, and later decorate some hangars.
White Knight/SS1 has an entirely different mission.

I was tempted to say that, too, but I decided uncharacteristically to
give the question more respect than it deserved.

Be interesting to make a comparison, time, money, man-hours, X33 to White
Knight/SS1.

How many billion later the X33 isn't complete and isn't fit to decorate
anything except and now less than a year since he introduced the plane to
the world Rutan is already putting it through its paces.

NASA needs to hire Rutan just for one afternoon, listen to him, write down
everything he has to say AND THEN DO IT!

Regards
Frank
GO SS1!

Old December 18th 03, 07:08 PM
Derek Lyons

"Frank Scrooby" wrote:
Be interesting to make a comparison, time, money, man-hours, X33 to White
Knight/SS1.

Which would be about the ultimate in apples and oranges comparisons.

How many billion later the X33 isn't complete and isn't fit to decorate
anything except and now less than a year since he introduced the plane to
the world Rutan is already putting it through its paces.

Which matters exactly how? SS1 is a high performance airplane, not a
spaceplane.

NASA needs to hire Rutan just for one afternoon, listen to him, write down
everything he has to say AND THEN DO IT!

And Rutan is knowledgeable in the fields that NASA needs? Cite
please?

D.