"Heavy lift: examining the requirements"

Old March 13th 05, 08:33 PM
Rand Simberg

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:28:07 GMT, in a place far, far away, "Kim
Keller" made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

This may seem silly,

It does indeed.
Old March 13th 05, 09:15 PM
Rand Simberg

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:36:15 GMT, in a place far, far away, "Kim
Keller" made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
. ..
Last time I checked, Boeing was a major part of the launch industry.

Indeed they are, but they are just one part of an industry that uses a
broader definition of TTS than the one you put forward as the sole
definition.

I put it forward as the only useful definition in the context of the
discussion (e.g., can the SRBs be safely shut down?). They don't have
a thrust termination system in that sense.
Old March 13th 05, 09:16 PM
Rand Simberg

On 13 Mar 2005 09:01:51 -0800, in a place far, far away, "Ed Kyle"
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a
way as to indicate that:

Reviewing the CEV RFP, it seems that NASA will
eventually need two Constellation Launch Vehicles.
The first "CLV" will be used to orbit CEV. It has
to be ready to go by 2014. The second CLV will be
needed to boost much heavier payloads like the
Earth Departure Stage and the Lunar Surface Access
Module sometime after 2014.

If it wants resiliency in its architecture, then it will need two of
each.
Old March 14th 05, 02:14 AM
Jon S. Berndt

"Kim Keller" wrote:

Great. You haven't told me anything I didn't already know.

I know.

I'd add to the statement, "words mean things", that it's also true that
"context means something". In the end, we got clarification and perhaps an
education, even if it was a little snippy at times. It prodded me to "go to
the books". :-)

Jon