Questar 7 vs AP 155

Old September 4th 03, 10:37 PM
Mike Kester

Default Questar 7 vs AP 155

Having never had the opportunity to look through a Questar 7 much less
see one in person I am wondering how it would compare to the views
through an AP 155 f/7 or similar 6" apo used for planetary or lunar
observing? Is the Q 7 the equal of, better than or not up to a 6" apo?
This is assuming the Q has BB coatings and all reflective coatings on
mirrors are like new. Anyone ever had the chance to make this
comparison or have any thoughts on this?
Old September 4th 03, 11:41 PM
Rod Mollise

PLus the size of Q-7 is kinda big, about the size of a fork mounted C-8.

Hi Chas:

Kinda big? What do you think you're gonna put an AP155 on? A CG3?! ;-)

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html
Old September 5th 03, 12:19 AM
Michael A. Covington

"Mike Kester" wrote in message
om...
Having never had the opportunity to look through a Questar 7 much less
see one in person I am wondering how it would compare to the views
through an AP 155 f/7 or similar 6" apo used for planetary or lunar
observing? Is the Q 7 the equal of, better than or not up to a 6" apo?
This is assuming the Q has BB coatings and all reflective coatings on
mirrors are like new. Anyone ever had the chance to make this
comparison or have any thoughts on this

I would think that because of the central obstruction, a 7-inch Questar
might be a little inferior to a 6-inch unobstructed apo refractor. They're
probably almost exactly equal in real performance.

What is a Questar 7 really like? Does it substantially outperform the Meade
7-inch Maksutov?

Old September 5th 03, 02:26 AM
JJK

I had the opportunity to buy a Q7 for a very reasonable price. I have,
amongst other scopes, an AP155 f/7. I prefer the AP.

Old September 8th 03, 02:54 AM
Del Johnson

Questar has hype; Astro-Physics has substance. The AP 155 is preferable on
all accounts.

Del Johnson

Old September 8th 03, 03:04 AM
Rod Mollise

Questar has hype; Astro-Physics has substance. The AP 155 is preferable on
all accounts.

Hi Del:

Which accounts are those? The AP155 is a fine scope, but so is the Q7. Apples
and oranges if you ask me.

Old September 8th 03, 07:15 PM
andrea tasselli

"Del Johnson" wrote in message ...
Questar has hype; Astro-Physics has substance. The AP 155 is preferable on
all accounts.

Del Johnson

They have a common feature though: they cost loads of money (to good
use?). Both are a waste of it.

Andrea T.

My Astronomy Pages at:
http://www.geocities.com/andreatax/index.htm
Old September 8th 03, 07:17 PM
Rod Mollise

"Del Johnson" wrote in message ...
Ah, the fruit analogy! :-)

They are both premium-priced telescopes of comparable aperture and thus a
direct comparison is most applicable. If Questar can't stand up to such a
comparison then they should not be so bold in their advertising.

Del Johnson

Hi Del:

Who says they can't? Not me.:-) The Q7s I've used have been very fine,
easily living up to their advertising. This is a high focal length
catadioptric. Some people love that idea, some will be happier with a
relatively fast refractor.

Peace,
Rod