Paper published on producing arbitrarily long nanotubes.

Old August 25th 16, 05:38 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.astro,rec.arts.sf.science
Doc O'Leary[_2_]

Default Paper published on producing arbitrarily long nanotubes.

For your reference, records indicate that
wrote:

In the real world, driving a flying car has never made it not airworthy.

Because in the real world, *nobody* is driving a flying car!

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly

Old August 25th 16, 06:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.astro,rec.arts.sf.science
[email protected]

wrote:

In the real world, driving a flying car has never made it not airworthy.

Because in the real world, *nobody* is driving a flying car!

There have been lots of flying cars made since the 1930's that worked.

Here's one from 1949 that almost made it into production:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerocar

Note especially https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerocar#N102D

--
Jim Pennino
Old August 25th 16, 06:07 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.astro,rec.arts.sf.science
[email protected]

In sci.physics Doc O'Leary wrote:
For your reference, records indicate that
Fred J. McCall wrote:

Flying cars were and are a good idea unless you think you
can just land anywhere you like.

Just the opposite! If I can only fly between airports, why not just call
it an airplane? What actual problem does a “flying car” otherwise solve
that make it such a fantastic machine to have? What is the actual use
case that demonstrates *any* added value?

If you fly a GA aircraft, what do
you do once you land it?

Depends on the problem youre looking to solve. If it is to keep a
vehicle in constant service, Id say youd fly it right back out to its
next destination.

That is called an airline.

Same way it doesnt make much sense to leave a
self-driving car sitting in a parking lot doing nothing.

Assuming the self-driving car is owned by Uber and not an individual.

--
Jim Pennino
Old August 26th 16, 01:27 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.astro,rec.arts.sf.science
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Fred J. McCall wrote:

Flying cars were and are a good idea unless you think you
can just land anywhere you like.

Just the opposite! If I can only fly between airports, why not just call
it an airplane? What actual problem does a flying car otherwise solve
that make it such a fantastic machine to have? What is the actual use
case that demonstrates *any* added value?

Asked and answered.

If you fly a GA aircraft, what do
you do once you land it?

Depends on the problem youre looking to solve. If it is to keep a
vehicle in constant service, Id say youd fly it right back out to its
next destination. Same way it doesnt make much sense to leave a
self-driving car sitting in a parking lot doing nothing.

Do you know what a GA airplane is? I think you just asserted that
they make no sense, yet lots of people have them.

territory."
--G. Behn
Old August 26th 16, 01:32 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.astro,rec.arts.sf.science
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

wrote:

In the real world, driving a flying car has never made it not airworthy.

Because in the real world, *nobody* is driving a flying car!

I think you've just asserted that none of the many vehicles described
in this article ever actually existed in the real world. You seem to
be wrong...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadab...dable_aircraft

territory."
--G. Behn
Old August 26th 16, 01:53 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.astro,rec.arts.sf.science
Joy Beeson

On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 16:38:54 -0000 (UTC), Doc O'Leary
wrote:

Because in the real world, *nobody* is driving a flying car!

There's a flying car parked in my back yard right now. It's seventy
years old.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old August 26th 16, 07:31 PM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.policy
Doc O'Leary[_2_]

wrote:

In sci.physics Doc O'Leary wrote:

Depends on the problem youre looking to solve. If it is to keep a
vehicle in constant service, Id say youd fly it right back out to its
next destination.

That is called an airline.

Only because that’s the known business model that works with the old
technology. Likewise, I’ve made the point that a “self-driving car”
has existed for centuries; it is called a train. Again, all I’m
asking for is for the SF world to be fleshed out where it makes sense
to have *your* kind of flying car.

Same way it doesnt make much sense to leave a
self-driving car sitting in a parking lot doing nothing.

Assuming the self-driving car is owned by Uber and not an individual.

Assuming nothing but a realistic universe. Yes, I would agree that
self-driving cars prompt a whole *slew* of changes that might lead to
changing norms of car ownership. Same goes for the mythical flying
car, too, so I’m just looking for the proponents to do the leg work
that shows they make sense in any sort of realistic universe.
Because, from where I’m sitting, they’re just another dumb idea that
nobody really bothers to think through.

Old August 26th 16, 07:44 PM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.policy
Doc O'Leary[_2_]

Fred J. McCall wrote:

Doc O'Leary wrote:

Just the opposite! If I can only fly between airports, why not just call
it an airplane? What actual problem does a “flying car” otherwise solve
that make it such a fantastic machine to have? What is the actual use
case that demonstrates *any* added value?

Asked and answered.

No, it wasn’t. Where’s the use case? I’m a guy sitting in my office
and I get a call telling me I need to get to X (home or hospital,
Detroit or Paris). I know all the tradeoffs of the current solutions
to that problem. What is the *actual* benefit a flying car offers in
a world where everyone’s a pilot, but I still have to go to an
airport, inspect the machine to verify it is airworthy, take care of
necessary FAA paperwork, etc.?

Do you know what a GA airplane is? I think you just asserted that
they make no sense, yet lots of people have them.

A lot of people own a lot of things that make very little sense. I’m
not asking about that segment of the population. I’m asking about
the people who are more thoughtful about their behaviors. Can you
make the case to *them* that flying cars are actually a good idea?

Old August 26th 16, 07:54 PM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.policy
Doc O'Leary[_2_]

Fred J. McCall wrote:

I think you've just asserted that none of the many vehicles described
in this article ever actually existed in the real world. You seem to
be wrong...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadab...dable_aircraft

Hahahahaha! No, I’m “asserting” that you apparently don’t know how
to read the “Status” column in the list you have, with entries
ranging from “Concept” to “Crashed”. None are “Click to buy one” or
“1% of pilots regularly use it”.

Pointing to experimental aircraft is like pointing to cold fusion.
They are a *fiction* in the real world. Your case is not made when
you’re deliberately being intellectually dishonest like this.

Old August 26th 16, 08:02 PM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.physics,sci.space.policy
Doc O'Leary[_2_]

wrote:

In the real world, driving a flying car has never made it not airworthy.

Because in the real world, *nobody* is driving a flying car!

There have been lots of flying cars made since the 1930's that worked.

Here's one from 1949 that almost made it into production:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerocar

Note especially https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerocar#N102D

You, too, support my point. Clearly it didn’t “work” if it didn’t
even make it into production, was not bought in quantity, and did not
regularly function as *both* a ground and air commuter vehicle.

That’s why I made the point of keeping the structure of such a
vehicle airworthy. It may not be a huge deal if your car gets a door
dinged in a parking lot by another car or grocery cart. Or hail
damage or whatever else we don’t think twice about subjecting cars to
because we don’t have to think about them falling out of the sky.
Not so with the ill-conceived flying car, which is why they remain a
fiction, and a *poor* fiction at that..