'Wasteful' galaxies launch heavy elements into surrounding halos anddeep space

Old June 7th 16, 02:52 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

Default 'Wasteful' galaxies launch heavy elements into surrounding halos anddeep space

'Wasteful' galaxies launch heavy elements into surrounding halos and
deep space
http://phys.org/news/2016-06-galaxie...alos-deep.html

Galaxies "waste" large amounts of heavy elements generated by star
formation by ejecting them up to a million light years away into
their surrounding halos and deep space, according to a new study led
by the University of Colorado Boulder.

The research, which was recently published online in the Monthly
Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, shows that more oxygen,
carbon and iron atoms exist in the sprawling, gaseous halos outside
of galaxies than exist within the galaxies themselves, leaving the
galaxies deprived of raw materials needed to build stars and
planets.

Read more at:
http://phys.org/news/2016-06-galaxie...-deep.html#jCp

--

sci.physics is an unmoderated newsgroup dedicated
to the discussion of physics, news from the physics

Old June 7th 16, 03:42 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Duffy[_4_]

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 20:52:20 -0500, Sam Wormley wrote:

The research, [...] shows that [...] more oxygen, carbon and iron atoms
exist in [...] halos outside of galaxies than exist within the galaxies

Nobody has yet cleaimed this constitutes the long-searched 'dark matter'?

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

Old June 7th 16, 10:06 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 2:52:22 AM UTC+1, Sam Wormley wrote:
'Wasteful' galaxies launch heavy elements into surrounding halos and
deep space
http://phys.org/news/2016-06-galaxie...alos-deep.html

Stellar evolution was the remaining bright spot in research but even that now looks downgraded. I was working to two large external rings and a smaller intersecting ring back in 1990 and 4 years before they were observed in SN1987A -

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._1987A_HST.jpg

The principle behind the work is that there is a transition phase which gives rise to a solar system rather than the death of a star as the material jettisoned from the Supernova event is still bound to the antecedent star.

The elements that make up your body may have come from the very star you all seem to ignore day in and day out.
Old June 8th 16, 03:55 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 2:06:51 PM UTC-7, oriel36 wrote:

The elements that make up your body may have come from the very star you all seem to ignore day in and day out.

Un-freaking-believable!

How can anyone be so uninformed?

You simply don't have the slightest clue!
Old June 8th 16, 04:50 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
SlurpieMcDoublegulp

On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 9:55:22 PM UTC-5, palsing wrote:
On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 2:06:51 PM UTC-7, oriel36 wrote:

The elements that make up your body may have come from the very star you all seem to ignore day in and day out.

Un-freaking-believable!

How can anyone be so uninformed?

You simply don't have the slightest clue!

Certainly not our Sun. It never went super-nova, nor will it ever.
Old June 8th 16, 05:00 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 3:55:22 AM UTC+1, palsing wrote:
On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 2:06:51 PM UTC-7, oriel36 wrote:

The elements that make up your body may have come from the very star you all seem to ignore day in and day out.

Un-freaking-believable!

How can anyone be so uninformed?

You simply don't have the slightest clue!

I read an article last week where the current empirical icon was casting gloomy predictions about the planet's temperature on account of carbon dioxide while at the same time the same guy is on television advertising a range of Jaguar cars but I doubt anyone noticed this example of the current anarchy where anything goes.

Most of what I do is interpretative astronomy based on motions that already exist and largely connected to terrestrial sciences as cause and effect however I can venture into speculative astronomy and what was once one of the bright areas left - the relevance of a supernova event. By my own admission I was startled at the appearance of rings of SN1987A even though stellar processes indicate that geometry including the pre-supernova Eta Carinae -

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...EtaCarinae.jpg

Due to a large number of physical considerations it is possible to envisage that not all stars end their life-cycle in a supernova event but rather give rise to a solar system with stars at various stages in that evolution visible out there.

Since I started typing this I see Rolando declare that he was at the birth of the solar system to definitively declare that he knows all there is about stellar processes and solar system evolution but, of course, this comes from the same mind that can't tell you what the Equatorial speed of the Earth is per hour and proud of it to boot.

Old June 8th 16, 07:17 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 10:06:51 PM UTC+1, oriel36 wrote:
I was working to two large external rings and a smaller intersecting ring back in 1990 and 4 years before they were observed in SN1987A

Whoa, looks like the doctors changed Gerald's meds!
Old June 8th 16, 08:59 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 7:17:59 AM UTC+1, wrote:

Whoa, looks like the doctors changed Gerald's meds!

I must apologize for this post, it was unkind.

Lots of good, intelligent, rational people take meds to help with psychiatric issues, and I shouldn't have implied that behaviour like Geralds is due to medications which help so many decent people.
Old June 8th 16, 09:40 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 7:17:59 AM UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 10:06:51 PM UTC+1, oriel36 wrote:
I was working to two large external rings and a smaller intersecting ring back in 1990 and 4 years before they were observed in SN1987A

Whoa, looks like the doctors changed Gerald's meds!

There is no shame to this, it only took you a few months to arrive at the stock phrases place as I knew you would so you disappear into a large crowd. There are still a few left who still can approach the topics without this witless nonsense but the numbers are getting fewer these days.

The geometry of stellar evolution is found in stars at different stages in their development like clues scattered all over the celestial arena and especially the dual structures either side of the progenitor star whether Eta Carinae or the star that has become known by the Supernova event SN1987a

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._1987A_HST.jpg

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap141202.html

I was touched by your qualifying post but coming from a person who can't manage to put a day/night cycle in context of one rotation I would say that the qualification doesn't mean anything.

Again, no shame in resorting to stock phrases as I have seen it many hundreds of times in my time in this forum.