Some colliding white dwarfs can reignite fusion rather than go supernova

Old May 16th 11, 06:36 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,sci.physics
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default Some colliding white dwarfs can reignite fusion rather than go supernova

Colliding white dwarfs give each other a new lease on life
"Astronomers recently discovered the rather memorably named SDSS
J010657.39–100003.3, which is a binary star system composed of two white
dwarfs, one of which is 17% the Sun's mass, while the other is about
43%. The two orbit each other at a distance of just 140,000 miles, which
is even closer than the distance between the Earth and the Moon. The two
rotate each other at about a million miles per hour.

When white dwarfs collide, one of two things can happen: if the combined
masses is greater than 140% of the Sun, the collision creates a
supernova. But in this case, the white dwarfs will actually reignite
nuclear fusion, creating a brand new star just like our Sun that will,
after another few billion years of renewed life, cool down into yet
another white dwarf."
http://ca.io9.com/5801997/colliding-...-lease-on-life
Old May 16th 11, 03:05 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,sci.physics
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 5/16/11 12:36 AM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
[...]

Since white dwarf contain little or no hydrogen the later ain't gonna
happen. Two white dwarfs would likely create a Type I supernova or
form a neutron star.

Old May 16th 11, 08:53 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,sci.physics
Brad Guth[_3_]

On May 15, 10:36*pm, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Colliding white dwarfs give each other a new lease on life
"Astronomers recently discovered the rather memorably named SDSS
J010657.39–100003.3, which is a binary star system composed of two white
dwarfs, one of which is 17% the Sun's mass, while the other is about
43%. The two orbit each other at a distance of just 140,000 miles, which
is even closer than the distance between the Earth and the Moon. The two
rotate each other at about a million miles per hour.

When white dwarfs collide, one of two things can happen: if the combined
masses is greater than 140% of the Sun, the collision creates a
supernova. But in this case, the white dwarfs will actually reignite
nuclear fusion, creating a brand new star just like our Sun that will,
after another few billion years of renewed life, cool down into yet
another white dwarf."http://ca.io9.com/5801997/colliding-white-dwarfs-give-each-other-a-ne...

They'll also have to encounter a substantial molecular cloud of
hydrogen and helium. Is there one of those nearby?

More likely it'll just soft-nova and become another white dwarf,
because there's not enough combined mass or impact velocity to
supernova.

http://translate.google.com/#
Old May 16th 11, 11:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,sci.physics
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 5/16/11 2:53 PM, Brad Guth wrote:
On May 15, 10:36 pm, Yousuf wrote:
[...]

Carbon/Oxygen core makes up at least 99% of the White Dwarf's mass.
Old May 17th 11, 12:21 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,sci.physics
Eric Gisse

On May 15, 10:36*pm, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Colliding white dwarfs give each other a new lease on life
"Astronomers recently discovered the rather memorably named SDSS
J010657.39–100003.3, which is a binary star system composed of two white
dwarfs, one of which is 17% the Sun's mass, while the other is about
43%. The two orbit each other at a distance of just 140,000 miles, which
is even closer than the distance between the Earth and the Moon. The two
rotate each other at about a million miles per hour.

A factor of 4 or so closer in separation compared to the Hulse-Taylor
pulsar system, but with significantly less mass. And no pulsar for
timing.

This system will decay via gravitational radiation too. Wonder how
long it'd take.

When white dwarfs collide, one of two things can happen: if the combined
masses is greater than 140% of the Sun, the collision creates a
supernova. But in this case, the white dwarfs will actually reignite
nuclear fusion, creating a brand new star just like our Sun that will,
after another few billion years of renewed life, cool down into yet
another white dwarf."http://ca.io9.com/5801997/colliding-white-dwarfs-give-each-other-a-ne...

I wonder what type of supernova that would be. Not a 1a - that's a
helium flash from accretion, and not a II which is a core
collapse...probably be rather noisy, perhaps a candidate the fast
variety of GRB's?

Old May 17th 11, 12:29 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,sci.physics
palsing[_2_]

On May 16, 3:55*pm, Sam Wormley wrote:

... but in this case, the white dwarfs will actually reignite

nuclear fusion, creating a brand new star...

and then wrote...

Carbon/Oxygen core makes up at least 99% of the White Dwarf's mass.

Just to make sure that I understand, would it then the case here that
it would be the carbon and/or oxygen that would start fusing, since
there is no other fuel available? Doesn't either of these elements
require extraordinary temperatures and pressures to do so? It doesn't
seem intuitive to me that there would be enough pressure available
from such a lightweight star.

Isn't it possible that a merger of such stars would only result in a
proportionally larger white dwarf @ 60% the mass of the sun? Aren't
there white dwarfs out there now that have a mass which is 60% of Old
Sol? I found an article here...

http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu//...00247.000.html

.... which lists plenty of white dwarfs with masses in this range.

I find it curious that the article you referenced states that "in this
case, the white dwarfs will actually reignite nuclear fusion, creating
a brand new star just like our Sun", since our sun still has most of
the hydrogen it started with and these guys have none... but perhaps
I'm missing something here.

\Paul A

Old May 17th 11, 12:31 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,sci.physics
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 5/16/11 6:21 PM, Eric Gisse wrote:
[...]

If exceeding the Chandrasekhar limit of 1.44 solar masses creates
a Type IA supernova, I'm betting that two colliding white dwarfs
will do similar.
Old May 17th 11, 12:35 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,sci.physics
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 5/16/11 6:29 PM, palsing wrote:
On May 16, 3:55 pm, Sam wrote:

... but in this case, the white dwarfs will actually reignite

nuclear fusion, creating a brand new star...

and then wrote...

Carbon/Oxygen core makes up at least 99% of the White Dwarf's mass.

Just to make sure that I understand, would it then the case here that
it would be the carbon and/or oxygen that would start fusing, since
there is no other fuel available? Doesn't either of these elements
require extraordinary temperatures and pressures to do so? It doesn't
seem intuitive to me that there would be enough pressure available
from such a lightweight star.

Since 1.44 solar masses cannot be held up by electron degeneracy
pressure and we see the Type Ia supernovae, I'm assuming that the
collapse generates sufficient conditions for the fission (not fusion).

Old May 17th 11, 01:08 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,sci.physics
palsing[_2_]

On May 16, 4:35*pm, Sam Wormley wrote:

* *If exceeding the Chandrasekhar limit of 1.44 solar masses creates
* *a Type IA supernova, I'm betting that two colliding white dwarfs
* *will do similar.

Sam, I would agree with this, but aren't we talking about a merger in
this case that is considerably less than the 1.44 mass limit, a total
which is, in fact, is less than 50% of that limit?

By the way, correct or not, the Wiki article...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_Ia_supernova

.... makes it quite clear that both carbon and oxygen fusion (and not
fission) have a prominent role in type IA supernovae, although it also
makes it quite clear that not all the details are, well, quite
clear :-)

\Paul A
Old May 17th 11, 01:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,sci.physics
herbert glazier

On May 16, 6:55*pm, Sam Wormley wrote:
[...]

* Brad Guth, Brad_Guth, Brad.Guth, BradGuth, BG / Guth Usenet

* *Carbon/Oxygen core makes up at least 99% of the White Dwarf's mass..

Sam When Sun changes to be a subgiant.its the time no more
hydrogen,and left with "helium" (YES) Then say one more billion years
go by than the sun expands to a red giant(more than 160 times its
radius) The last stage is a white dwarf that is destined to take a
trillion years to fad completely away. White dwarf very tiny. I turn
the pages in my universe picture scrape book and I'm looking at the
"Eskimo Nebula" Its prettier then Kates ring. O ya But they relate
well. The whits blob at the center is a white dwarf. Sam my G=EMC^2
predicts the days of star making has to end.(no more interstellar gas
for gravity to compress. Gravity still will do what it does best and
that is to evolve the stuff it created. The end is when all it
created is left in black holes,neutron stars,and white dwarfs. Sam
They are not really the end,but that is the spacetime with no universe
life,or any physical matter. Cheer up Sam it will always have
"time,space energy,and gravity" Its my last picture,so Sam Get the
picture TreBert