Daily Report #5165

Old August 23rd 10, 03:25 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Cooper, Joe

Default Daily Report #5165

HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE - Continuing to Collect World Class Science

DAILY REPORT #5165

PERIOD COVERED: 5am August 20 - 5am August 23, 2010 (DOY 232/09:00z-235/09:00z)

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS:

12357 - GSAcq(1,2,1) at 233/21:37:49z Results in Fine-lock Back-up on
FGS1.

Observations possibly affected: STIS 106-108 Proposal ID#11569

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL
FGS GSAcq 19 19
FGS REAcq 19 19
OBAD with Maneuver 16 16

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: (None)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED:

FGS 12320

The Ages of Globular Clusters and the Population II Distance Scale

Globular clusters are the oldest objects in the universe whose age can
be accurately determined. The dominant error in globular cluster age
determinations is the uncertain Population II distance scale. We
propose to use FGS 1r to obtain parallaxes with an accuracy of 0.2
milliarcsecond for 9 main sequence stars with [Fe/H] -1.5. This will
determine the absolute magnitude of these stars with accuracies of
0.04 to 0.06mag. This data will be used to determine the distance to
24 metal-poor globular clusters using main sequence fitting. These
distances (with errors of 0.05 mag) will be used to determine the ages
of globular clusters using the luminosity of the subgiant branch as an
age indicator. This will yield absolute ages with an accuracy 5%,
about a factor of two improvement over current estimates. Coupled with
existing parallaxes for more metal-rich stars, we will be able to
accurately determine the age for globular clusters over a wide range
of metallicities in order to study the early formation history of the
Milky Way and provide an independent estimate of the age of the
universe.

The Hipparcos database contains only 1 star with [Fe/H] -1.4 and an
absolute magnitude error less than 0.18 mag which is suitable for use
in main sequence fitting. Previous attempts at main sequence fitting
to metal-poor globular clusters have had to rely on theoretical
calibrations of the color of the main sequence. Our HST parallax
program will remove this source of possible systematic error and yield
distances to metal-poor globular clusters which are significantly more
accurate than possible with the current parallax data. The HST
parallax data will have errors which are 10 times smaller than the
current parallax data. Using the HST parallaxes, we will obtain main
sequence fitting distances to 11 globular clusters which contain over
500 RR Lyrae stars. This will allow us to calibrate the absolute
magnitude of RR Lyrae stars, a commonly used Population II distance
indicator.

S/C 12046

COS FUV DCE Memory Dump

Whenever the FUV detector high voltage is on, count rate and current
draw information is collected, monitored, and saved to DCE memory.
Every 10 msec the detector samples the currents from the HV power
supplies (HVIA, HVIB) and the AUX power supply (AUXI). The last 1000
samples are saved in memory, along with a histogram of the number of
occurrences of each current value.

In the case of a HV transient (known as a "crackle" on FUSE), where
one of these currents exceeds a preset threshold for a persistence
time, the HV will shut down, and the DCE memory will be dumped and
examined as part of the recovery procedure. However, if the current
exceeds the threshold for less than the persistence time (a
"mini-crackle" in FUSE parlance), there is no way to know without
dumping DCE memory. By dumping and examining the histograms regularly,
we will be able to monitor any changes in the rate of "mini-crackles"
and thus learn something about the state of the detector.

ACS/WFC 11996

CCD Daily Monitor (Part 3)

This program comprises basic tests for measuring the read noise and
dark current of the ACS WFC and for tracking the growth of hot pixels.
The recorded frames are used to create bias and dark reference images
for science data reduction and calibration. This program will be
executed four days per week (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun) for the duration of
Cycle 17. To facilitate scheduling, this program is split into three
proposals. This proposal covers 308 orbits (19.25 weeks) from 21 June
2010 to 1 November 2010.

WFC3/IR/S/C 11929

IR Dark Current Monitor

Analyses of ground test data showed that dark current signals are more
reliably removed from science data using darks taken with the same
exposure sequences as the science data, than with a single dark
current image scaled by desired exposure time. Therefore, dark current
images must be collected using all sample sequences that will be used
in science observations. These observations will be used to monitor
changes in the dark current of the WFC3-IR channel on a day-to-day
basis, and to build calibration dark current ramps for each of the
sample sequences to be used by Gos in Cycle 17. For each sample
sequence/array size combination, a median ramp will be created and
delivered to the calibration database system (CDBS).

WFC3/UVIS/IR 11909

UVIS Hot Pixel Anneal

The on-orbit radiation environment of WFC3 will continually generate
new hot pixels. This proposal performs the procedure required for
repairing those hot pixels in the UVIS CCDs. During an anneal, the
two-stage thermo-electric cooler (TEC) is turned off and the
four-stage TEC is used as a heater to bring the UVIS CCDs up to ~20
deg. C. As a result of the CCD warmup, a majority of the hot pixels
will be fixed; previous instruments such as WFPC2 and ACS have seen
repair rates of about 80%. Internal UVIS exposures are taken before
and after each anneal, to allow an assessment of the procedure's
effectiveness in WFC3, provide a check of bias, global dark current,
and hot pixel levels, as well as support hysteresis (bowtie)
monitoring and CDBS reference file generation. One IR dark is taken
after each anneal, to provide a check of the IR detector.

WFC3/UVIS 11908

Cycle 17: UVIS Bowtie Monitor

Ground testing revealed an intermittent hysteresis type effect in the
UVIS detector (both CCDs) at the level of ~1%, lasting hours to days.
Initially found via an unexpected bowtie-shaped feature in flatfield
ratios, subsequent lab tests on similar e2v devices have since shown
that it is also present as simply an overall offset across the entire
CCD, i.e., a QE offset without any discernable pattern. These lab
tests have further revealed that overexposing the detector to count
levels several times full well fills the traps and effectively
neutralizes the bowtie. Each visit in this proposal acquires a set of
three 3x3 binned internal flatfields: the first unsaturated image will
be used to detect any bowtie, the second, highly exposed image will
neutralize the bowtie if it is present, and the final image will allow
for verification that the bowtie is gone.

WFC3/UVIS 11905

WFC3 UVIS CCD Daily Monitor

The behavior of the WFC3 UVIS CCD will be monitored daily with a set
of full-frame, four-amp bias and dark frames. A smaller set of 2Kx4K
subarray biases are acquired at less frequent intervals throughout the
cycle to support subarray science observations. The internals from
this proposal, along with those from the anneal procedure (Proposal
11909), will be used to generate the necessary superbias and superdark
reference files for the calibration pipeline (CDBS).

WFC3/UV 11904

UVIS Droplets

To characterize the effects of the contamination (i.e., droplets) on
the UVIS window, we will observe a star cluster in three wide band
filters (F225W, F555W, and F814W) as well as a narrow band filter
(F502N) and step the stars in the cluster across randomly located
droplets. The step size is 20 pixels, and we execute a five point line
dither for each filter. This should provide for observations both on
and off the droplets, for the same star. Internal flat fields are also
obtained, but, due to the high f/# of the internal calibration system,
the flats will be of limited utility, but will serve to map and
crudely track any changes in the droplets. The cluster needs to
contain both hot and cool stars, and therefore we select NGC 6752, a
nearby globular with a hot horizontal branch. Note, although the total
population of HB stars may be larger in systems such as NGC 2419, NGC
6715, and NGC 2808, those clusters are much further away and will not
provide a high density of stars over the global image (the droplets
are located over the entire frame). There will be three visits
(initial, 7 days later, and 30 days later), with each visit requiring
4 orbits. The total program thus requires 12 orbits total.

ACS/WFC3 11887

CCD Stability Monitor

This program will verify that the low frequency flat fielding, the
photometry, and the geometric distortion are stable in time and across
the field of view of the CCD arrays. A moderately crowded stellar
field in the cluster 47 Tuc is observed with the ACS (at the cluster
core) and WFC3 (6 arcmin West of the cluster core) using the full
suite of broad and narrow band imaging filters. The positions and
magnitudes of objects will be used to monitor local and large scale
variations in the plate scale and the sensitivity of the detectors and
to derive an independent measure of the detector CTE. The UV
sensitivity for the SBC and ACS will be addressed in the UV
contamination monitor program (11886, PI=Smith).

One additional orbit will be obtained at the beginning of the cycle
will allow a verification of the CCD gain ratios for WFC3 using gain
2.0, 1.4, 1.0, 0.5 and for ACS using gain 4.0 and 2.0. In addition,
one subarray exposure with the WFC3 will allow a verification that
photometry obtained in full-frame and in sub-array modes are
repeatable to better than 1%. This test is important for the ACS
Photometric Cross-Calibration program (11889, PI=Bohlin) which uses
sub-array exposures.

STIS/CCD 11847

CCD Bias Monitor-Part 2

Monitor the bias in the 1x1, 1x2, 2x1, and 2x2 bin settings at gain=1,
and 1x1 at gain = 4, to build up high-S/N superbiases and track the
evolution of hot columns.

STIS/CCD 11845

CCD Dark Monitor Part 2

Monitor the darks for the STIS CCD.

COS/NUV/FUV 11741

Probing Warm-Hot Intergalactic Gas at 0.5 z 1.3 with a Blind
Survey for O VI, Ne VIII, Mg X, and Si XII Absorption Systems

Currently we can only account for half of the baryons (or less)
expected to be found in the nearby universe based on D/H and CMB
observations. This "missing baryons problem" is one of the
highest-priority challenges in observational extragalatic astronomy.
Cosmological simulations suggest that the baryons are hidden in
low-density, shock-heated intergalactic gas in the log T = 5 - 7
range, but intensive UV and X-ray surveys using O VI, O VII, and O
VIII absorption lines have not yet confirmed this prediction. We
propose to use COS to carry out a sensitive survey for Ne VIII and Mg
X absorption in the spectra of nine QSOs at z(QSO) 0.89. For the
three highest-redshift QSOs, we will also search for Si XII. This
survey will provide more robust constraints on the quantity of baryons
in warm-hot intergalactic gas at 0.5 z 1.3, and the data will
provide rich constraints on the metal enrichment, physical conditions,
and nature of a wide variety of QSO absorbers in addition to the
warm-hot systems. By comparing the results to other surveys at lower
redshifts (with STIS, FUSE, and from the COS GTO programs), the
project will also enable the first study of how these absorbers evolve
with redshift at z 1. By combining the program with follow-up galaxy
redshift surveys, we will also push the study of galaxy-absorber
relationships to higher redshifts, with an emphasis on the
distribution of the WHIM with respect to the large-scale matter
distribution of the universe.

WFC3/UVIS 11714

Snapshot Survey for Planetary Nebulae in Local Group Globular Clusters

Planetary nebulae (PNe) in globular clusters (GCs) raise a number of
interesting issues related to stellar and galactic evolution. The
number of PNe known in Milky Way GCs, four, is surprisingly low if one
assumes that all stars pass through a PN stage. However, it is likely
that the remnants of stars now evolving in galactic GCs leave the AGB
so slowly that any ejected nebula dissipates long before the star
becomes hot enough to ionize it. Thus there should not be ANY PNe in
Milky Way GCs--but there are four! It has been suggested that these
Pne are the result of mergers of binary stars within GCs, i.e., that
they are descendants of blue stragglers. The frequency of occurrence
of PNe in external galaxies poses more questions, because it shows a
range of almost an order of magnitude.

I propose a SNAPshot survey aimed at discovering PNe in the GC systems
of Local Group galaxies outside the Milky Way. These clusters, some of
which may be much younger than their counterparts in our galaxy, might
contain many more PNe than those of our own galaxy. I will use the
standard technique of emission-line and continuum imaging, which
easily discloses PNe. This proposal continues a WFPC2 program started
in Cycle 16, but with the more powerful WFC3. As a by-product, the
survey will also produce color-magnitude diagrams for numerous
clusters for the first time, reaching down to the horizontal branch.

WFC3/IR 11696

Infrared Survey of Star Formation Across Cosmic Time

We propose to use the unique power of WFC3 slitless spectroscopy to
measure the evolution of cosmic star formation from the end of the
reionization epoch at z6 to the close of the galaxy- building era at
z~0.3.Pure parallel observations with the grisms have proven to be
efficient for identifying line emission from galaxies across a broad
range of redshifts. The G102 grism on WFC3 was designed to extend this
capability to search for Ly-alpha emission from the first galaxies.
Using up to 250 orbits of pure parallel WFC3 spectroscopy, we will
observe about 40 deep (4-5 orbit) fields with the combination of G102
and G141, and about 20 shallow (2-3 orbit) fields with G141 alone.

Our primary science goals at the highest redshifts a (1) Detect Lya
in ~100 galaxies with z5.6 and measure the evolution of the Lya
luminosity function, independent of of cosmic variance; 2) Determine
the connection between emission line selected and continuum-break
selected galaxies at these high redshifts, and 3) Search for the
proposed signature of neutral hydrogen absorption at re-ionization. At
intermediate redshifts we will (4) Detect more than 1000 galaxies in
Halpha at 0.5z1.8 to measure the evolution of the
extinction-corrected star formation density across the peak epoch of
star formation. This is over an order-of-magnitude improvement in the
current statistics, from the NICMOS Parallel grism survey. (5) Trace
``cosmic downsizing" from 0.5z2.2; and (6) Estimate the evolution in
reddening and metallicty in star- forming galaxies and measure the
evolution of the Seyfert population. For hundreds of spectra we will
be able to measure one or even two line pair ratios -- in particular,
the Balmer decrement and [OII]/[OIII] are sensitive to gas reddening
and metallicity. As a bonus, the G102 grism offers the possibility of
detecting Lya emission at z=7-8.8.

To identify single-line Lya emitters, we will exploit the wide
0.8--1.9um wavelength coverage of the combined G102+G141 spectra. All
[OII] and [OIII] interlopers detected in G102 will be reliably
separated from true LAEs by the detection of at least one strong line
in the G141 spectrum, without the need for any ancillary data. We
waive all proprietary rights to our data and will make high-level data
products available through the ST/ECF.

WFC3/IR/ACS/WFC 11663

Formation and Evolution of Massive Galaxies in the Richest
Environments at 1.5 z 2.0

We propose to image seven 1.5z2 clusters and groups from the IRAC
Shallow Cluster Survey with WFC3 and ACS in order to study the
formation and evolution of massive galaxies in the richest
environments in the Universe in this important redshift range. We will
measure the evolution of the sizes and morphologies of massive cluster
galaxies, as a function of redshift, richness, radius and local
density. In combination with allocated Keck spectroscopy, we will
directly measure the dry merger fraction in these clusters, as well as
the evolution of Brightest Cluster Galaxies (BCGs) over this redshift
range where clear model predictions can be confronted. Finally we will
measure both the epoch of formation of the stellar populations and the
assembly history of that stellar mass, the two key parameters in the
modern galaxy formation paradigm.

STIS/CCD/MA 11660

Investigation Jet Rotation in Young Stars via High Resolution UV
Spectra

In recent years we have successfully harnessed the high resolution of
STIS in the optical to reveal asymmetries in Doppler shifts transverse
to the flow direction in 8 T Tauri jets (Bacciotti ea 2002; Woitas ea
2005; Coffey ea 2004; 2007). We interpret the findings, just 100 AU
above the disk, as signatures of jet rotation. The significance of
these results is considerable. They form the only existing
observational indications supporting the theory that jets extract
angular momentum from star-disk systems. Furthermore, they hold the
potential to discriminate between the main model contenders: X-wind
and Disk-wind (Ferreira ea 2006). Although our results are
encouraging, it is evident that we are only marginally resolving the
effects of rotation because of the limiting resolution (spatially and
spectrally) of STIS in the optical. Therefore, in Cycle 12 we proposed
to extend this study into the near-ultraviolet (NUV), giving double
the spatial and spectral resolution (proposal ID 9807). Unfortunately,
only 3 targets in our survey were observed before the failure of STIS
(Coffey ea 2007). Nevertheless, the results were very exciting.
Agreement was found between the optical and NUV results in terms of
the magnitude and sense of the Doppler shift gradient across the jet.
Furthermore, the NUV lines indicated that the observed high velocity
gas was launched from about 0.2-0.5 AU, compared to the lower velocity
gas traced in optical lines which originates from as far as 2 AU. This
puts a strong constraints on MHD launch models, and indeed holds the
potential to differentiate between them. Given that the strength of a
rotation argument lies in the survey nature of the findings, we need
to resume this program in order to see if the same rotation signatures
are commonly seen in the NUV, as they are in the optical. Furthermore,
the higher spatial and spectral resolution of STIS in the NUV will
allow us to more accurately quantify the variation in toroidal
velocity as a function of distance from the jet axis. This study will
provide an invaluable statistical argument to support the fact that we
are indeed observing jet rotation. Such a conclusion is critical to
providing observational backing to the widely accepted but untested
theory of magnetocentrifugal ejection.

WFC3/UVIS 11657

The Population of Compact Planetary Nebulae in the Galactic Disk

We propose to secure narrow- and broad-band images of compact
planetary nebulae (PNe) in the Galactic Disk to study the missing link
of the early phases of post-AGB evolution. Ejected AGB envelopes
become PNe when the gas is ionized. PNe expand, and, when large
enough, can be studied in detail from the ground. In the interim, only
the HST capabilities can resolve their size, morphology, and central
stars. Our proposed observations will be the basis for a systematic
study of the onset of morphology. Dust properties of the proposed
targets will be available through approved Spitzer/IRS spectra, and so
will the abundances of the alpha- elements. We will be able thus to
explore the interconnection of morphology, dust grains, stellar
evolution, and populations. The target selection is suitable to
explore the nebular and stellar properties across the galactic disk,
and to set constraints on the galactic evolutionary models through the
analysis of metallicity and population gradients.

STIS/CCD 11634

Probing the Collimation of Pristine Post-AGB Jets with STIS

The shaping of planetary and protoplanetary nebulae (PNe and PPNe) is
probably the most exciting yet least understood problem in the late
evolution of ~1-8 solar mass stars. An increasing number of
astronomers believe that fast jet-like winds ejected in the PPN phase
are responsible for carving out the diverse shapes in the dense
envelopes of the Asymptotic Giant Branch (AGB) stars. To date, the
properties of these post-AGB jets have not been characterized and,
indeed, their launching/collimation mechanism is still subject to
controversial debate. This is due to the lack of the direct
observations probing the spatio-kinematic structure of post-AGB winds
in the stellar vicinity (~10e16cm), which is only possible with
HST+STIS.

Recently, STIS observations have allowed us for the first time the
DIRECT study of the structure and kinematics of the elusive post-AGB
winds in one PPN, He3-1475 (Sanchez Contreras & Sahai 2001). Those
winds have been discovered through H-alpha blue-shifted absorption
features in the inner 0.3"-0.7" of the nebula. These STIS observations
have revealed an ultra-fast collimated outflow relatively unaffected
by the interaction with the AGB wind that is totally hidden in
ground-based spectroscopic observations and HST images. The discovery
of the pristine ultra-fast (~2300km/s) jet in He3-1475 is the first
observational confirmation of the presence of collimated outflows as
close as ~10e16cm from the central star. Most importantly, the
spatio-kinematic structure of the ultra-fast jet clearly rules out
hydrodynamical collimation alone and favors magnetic wind collimation.
Therefore, STIS observations provide a unique method of probing the
structure, kinematics, and collimation mechanism of the elusive
post-AGB winds. We now propose similar observations for a sample of
bipolar PPNe with ongoing post-AGB ejections in order to investigate
the frequency of jets like those in He3-1475 in other PPNe and
elucidate their nature and collimation mechanism. The observational
characterization of these winds is indispensable for understanding
this violent and important phase of post-AGB evolution.

STIS/CCD/MA1/MA2 11616

The Disks, Accretion, and Outflows (DAO) of T Tau Stars

Classical T Tauri stars undergo magnetospheric accretion, power
outflows, and possess the physical and chemical conditions in their
disks to give rise to planet formation. Existing high resolution FUV
spectra verify that this spectral region offers unique diagnostics of
these processes, which have the potential to significantly advance our
understanding of the interaction of a star and its accretion disk. To
date the limited results are intriguing, with dramatic differences in
kinematic structure in lines ranging from C IV to H2 among the few
stars that have been observed. We propose to use HST/COS to survey the
disks, outflows, and accretion (the DAO) of 26 CTTS and 6 WTTS in the
FUV at high spectral resolution. A survey of this size is essential to
establish how properties of accretion shocks, winds and disk
irradiation depend on disk accretion rate. Specifically, our goals are
to (1) measure the radiation from and understand the physical
properties of the gas very near the accretion shock as a function of
accretion rate using emission line profiles of hot lines (C IV, Si IV,
N V, and He II); (2) measure the opacity, velocity, and temperature at
the base of the outflow to constrain outflow models using wind
absorption features; and (3) characterize the radiation incident on
disks and protoplanetary atmospheres using H2 line and continuum
emission and reconstructed bright Ly-alpha line emission.

STIS/CCD 11612

Eta Carinae's Continuing Instability and Recovery - The 2009 Event

Eta Carinae is the only really observable example of structural
recovery from a massive giant eruption, a "supernova imposter' event.
Moreover it is the only well-observed star above 100 Msun, and its
5.5-year-recurrent spectroscopic events provide extraordinary clues to
its surface instability. This truly unique combination of attributes
makes it valuable for understanding the most massive stars. A fresh
development arose a few years ago: the star has brightened much faster
than before, and appears to have entered a rapid stage in its
post-eruption recovery.

A spectroscopic event will occur at 2009.0, soon after the planned HST
servicing mission. Because of the recent secular trend, this event is
expected to differ from its well-observed 2003.5 predecessor. The
differences will be very important, because they offer clues to very-
massive-star structural instabilities that can't be observed in any
other known way.

Some of the needed observations require HST's high spatial resolution
and UV coverage. We propose an efficient, well-chosen set of STIS and
ACS observations around the critical time. If the servicing mission is
too late for the event, then a subset of the observations will still
be merited.

WFC3/UV 11605

Obtaining the Missing Links in the Test of Very Low Mass Evolutionary
Models with HST

We are proposing for spatially resolved ACS+HRC observations of 11
very low mass binaries spanning late-M, L and T spectral types in
order to obtain precise effective temperature measurements for each
component. All of our targets are part of a program in which we are
measuring dynamical masses of very low-mass binaries to an
unprecedented precision of 10% (or better). However, without precise
temperature measurements, the full scientific value of these mass
measurements cannot be realized. Together, mass and temperature
measurements will allow us to distinguish between brown dwarf
evolutionary models that make different assumptions about the interior
and atmospheric structure of these ultra-cool objects. While dynamical
masses can be obtained from the ground in the near-IR, obtaining
precise temperatures require access to optical data which, for these
sub-arcsecond binaries, can only be obtained from space with Hubble.

WFC3/UVIS 11594

A WFC3 Grism Survey for Lyman Limit Absorption at z=2

We propose to conduct a spectroscopic survey of Lyman limit absorbers
at redshifts 1.8 z 2.5, using WFC3 and the G280 grism. This
proposal intends to complete an approved Cycle 15 SNAP program
(10878), which was cut short due to the ACS failure. We have selected
64 quasars at 2.3 z 2.6 from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey
Spectroscopic Quasar Sample, for which no BAL signature is found at
the QSO redshift and no strong metal absorption lines are present at z
2.3 along the lines of sight. The survey has three main

observational goals. First, we will determine the redshift frequency
dn/dz of the LLS over the column density range 16.0 log(NHI) 20.3
cm^-2. Second, we will measure the column density frequency
distribution f(N) for the partial Lyman limit systems (PLLS) over the
column density range 16.0 log(NHI) 17.5 cm^-2. Third, we will
identify those sightlines which could provide a measurement of the
primordial D/H ratio. By carrying out this survey, we can also help
place meaningful constraints on two key quantities of cosmological
relevance. First, we will estimate the amount of metals in the LLS
using the f(N), and ground based observations of metal line
transitions. Second, by determining f(N) of the PLLS, we can constrain
the amplitude of the ionizing UV background at z~2 to a greater
precision. This survey is ideal for a snapshot observing program,
because the on-object integration times are all well below 30 minutes,
and follow-up observations from the ground require minimal telescope
time due to the QSO sample being bright.

STIS/CCD/MA1/MA2 11569

Probing the Atomic and Molecular Inventory of a Beta-Pic Analog, the
Young, Edge-On Debris Disk of HD32297

Edge-on, optically thin, debris disks provide unique opportunities to
probe physical properties of the disk itself. Using the host star as
the background source, trace atomic and molecular disk species can be
detected in absorption. Redfield (2007) found that the recently
discovered edge- on system, HD32297, has the strongest NaI absorption
feature of any known debris disk, 5 times the level observed toward
beta Pic, the canonical edge-on debris disk. Roberge et al. (2006)
compiled the only comprehensive chemical inventory of a debris disk,
using beta Pic, and found that carbon was surprisingly overabundant,
which has important implications for the physical structure and
support of a stable gas disk. What is severely lacking are comparison
observations to determine if such an abundance pattern is typical of
debris disk systems. HD32297 represents the best opportunity to make
such a comparative study and perform a comprehensive gas inventory of
a debris disk, due to its high NaI column density. The UV is critical
for this work due to the large number of strong transitions (almost 50
ions and molecules are accessible) that are located in, and often only
in, the UV. These observations will provide a much needed comparison
dataset for addressing the gas chemistry of debris disk systems that
are at the critical stage, near the end of planet formation, and in
the process of clearing their interplanetary environments.

Daily Report Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 December 22nd 08 06:17 PM
Daily Report #4569 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 March 18th 08 02:59 PM
Daily Report #4559 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 March 4th 08 04:31 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM