Buy Yourself a Moon

Old January 3rd 07, 05:51 PM posted to sci.astro
Alkhimey

Default Buy Yourself a Moon

I heard of several companies that offer all kind of interesting stuff
such as propery on the Moon, on Mars or names of stars. I wonder
whether these companies has the right to sell such things? Our planets
and stars belong to the whole humanity, and their names should and
fates should be decided by special comitties.
I assume that these gift certificates are void, no respectable body
will ever recognize you as the owner of a planet, or a name of a star.

So what do you think about that?

Old January 4th 07, 11:46 PM posted to sci.astro
Steve Willner

In article .com,
"Alkhimey" writes:
I heard of several companies that offer all kind of interesting stuff
such as propery on the Moon, on Mars or names of stars. I wonder
whether these companies has the right to sell such things?

This has been much-discussed in the past. Depending on local laws
and the exact language in their advertising, they probably can
_claim_ to sell such things, but what you actually get is a nice
piece of paper with no legal or scientific meaning. Much cheaper to
design and print your own certificate; it has exactly as much legal
effect as any of the commercial ones.

I'm surprised to see the FAQ doesn't have an article on this
subject. (Or did I miss it?) Anyone care to write one?

--
Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA
Old January 5th 07, 01:10 PM posted to sci.astro
Chris

According to the British religion, they were given all things including the
sun and the moon and the stars and all of us were made for them. If you
disagree then you are an insurrectionist and can be shot as a traitor.

Their Gulags (Hospitals they call them) are full of brain damaged people who
just lay their being spoon fed. That is the truth of psychaitry. Of course
they are called shrinks - they shrink you.

So ask you local brit what he wants for Mars, after all he owns it, God gave
it to him. I offered a, local brit $2.50 for one of his stars (only a small
one - I said) he just walked of and shrugged his shoulders.