How do you pronounce Pleiades?

Old March 2nd 16, 01:12 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default How do you pronounce Pleiades?

On Wednesday, April 28, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, ddouglas wrote:
... and down here in Texas we say Plaay-ahhh-daees :-) said very slowly.

(just kidding)

Allan Tingey wrote in message ...
How do you pronounce Pleiades?

why would anyone from or in texas need to use that word?
Old March 2nd 16, 12:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

wrote:
On Wednesday, April 28, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, ddouglas wrote:
... and down here in Texas we say Plaay-ahhh-daees :-) said very slowly.

(just kidding)

Allan Tingey wrote in message ...
How do you pronounce Pleiades?

why would anyone from or in texas need to use that word?

Why resurrect a thread from the last century?

Old March 2nd 16, 12:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

Mike Collins wrote:
wrote:
On Wednesday, April 28, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, ddouglas wrote:
... and down here in Texas we say Plaay-ahhh-daees :-) said very slowly.

(just kidding)

Allan Tingey wrote in message ...
How do you pronounce Pleiades?

why would anyone from or in texas need to use that word?

Why resurrect a thread from the last century?

However since it has been resurrected it's Ply a dees rhyming with Hyades
in UK English.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...glish/pleiades

Old March 2nd 16, 01:09 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 6:51:12 AM UTC-5, Mike Collins wrote:
Mike Collins wrote:
wrote:
On Wednesday, April 28, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, ddouglas wrote:
... and down here in Texas we say Plaay-ahhh-daees :-) said very slowly.

(just kidding)

Allan Tingey wrote in message ...
How do you pronounce Pleiades?

why would anyone from or in texas need to use that word?

Why resurrect a thread from the last century?

However since it has been resurrected it's Ply a dees rhyming with Hyades
in UK English.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...glish/pleiades

The "howjsay" link posted above, in a very British accent, pronounces the first syllable as either "play" or "plea."

Old March 2nd 16, 01:09 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

Mike Collins wrote:
wrote:
On Wednesday, April 28, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, ddouglas wrote:
... and down here in Texas we say Plaay-ahhh-daees :-) said very slowly.

(just kidding)

Allan Tingey wrote in message ...
How do you pronounce Pleiades?

why would anyone from or in texas need to use that word?

Why resurrect a thread from the last century?

However since it has been resurrected it's Ply a dees rhyming with Hyades
in UK English.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...glish/pleiades

The "howjsay" link posted above, in a very British accent, pronounces the
first syllable as either "play" or "plea."

That's the US pronunciation.
You can access both from the link.

Old March 2nd 16, 01:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Mike Collins wrote:
wrote:
On Wednesday, April 28, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, ddouglas wrote:
... and down here in Texas we say Plaay-ahhh-daees :-) said very slowly.

(just kidding)

Allan Tingey wrote in message ...
How do you pronounce Pleiades?

why would anyone from or in texas need to use that word?

Why resurrect a thread from the last century?

However since it has been resurrected it's Ply a dees rhyming with Hyades
in UK English.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...glish/pleiades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJa5sok-TlU

The Greeks and Americans are right, the Oxford Dictionary wrong.