Diamond Star

Old February 16th 04, 09:50 PM
Bill Hennessy

Default Diamond Star

BBC report abot a star made of diamond.

Old February 16th 04, 10:48 PM
Rick

"Bill Hennessy" wrote in message . ..
BBC report abot a star made of diamond.

That gets my vote for the second most absurd astronomy
illustration in mainstream media history, bested only by
CNN's usual illustration of a 3000-mile wide comet plunging
into the Earth every time a km-wide near-Earth object
comes within ten million miles of us.

Because a star's core is made "mostly from carbon" does
not mean it's made of anything resembling diamond. E.g.
just a few % iron (which is almost a certainty for a star core)
would nix that theory altogether.

Rick

Old February 17th 04, 05:28 AM
Kilolani

"Rick" wrote in message

That gets my vote for the second most absurd astronomy
illustration in mainstream media history, bested only by
CNN's usual illustration of a 3000-mile wide comet plunging
into the Earth every time a km-wide near-Earth object
comes within ten million miles of us.

Because a star's core is made "mostly from carbon" does
not mean it's made of anything resembling diamond. E.g.
just a few % iron (which is almost a certainty for a star core)
would nix that theory altogether.

The illustration came straight from the Havard-Smithsonian Center for
Astrophysics.
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/press/pr0407image.html

Old February 17th 04, 05:59 AM
onegod

That's rediculous.

If you have carbon with high temperature and pressure.... guess what you get
here on earth?
Sure it might not be in one piece, but can easily be millions of earth sized
ones.

"Rick" wrote in message

. ..

Old February 17th 04, 06:11 AM
nightbat

nightbat wrote

Kilolani wrote:

"Rick" wrote in message

That gets my vote for the second most absurd astronomy
illustration in mainstream media history, bested only by
CNN's usual illustration of a 3000-mile wide comet plunging
into the Earth every time a km-wide near-Earth object
comes within ten million miles of us.

Because a star's core is made "mostly from carbon" does
not mean it's made of anything resembling diamond. E.g.
just a few % iron (which is almost a certainty for a star core)
would nix that theory altogether.

The illustration came straight from the Havard-Smithsonian Center for
Astrophysics.
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/press/pr0407image.html

nightbat

Rest assured if Tiffany or Cartier ever get wind of this
proposed giant diamond in the sky they will be funding the next Nasa
trip to the closest white dwarf for mining. Ha, ha, who knows maybe
Darla already knew about diamonds in the sky and she/he is decked out in
them from head to foot. Bert's prospect of pink diamonds on Mars would
be a good start in getting better funded safer space ships to go get all
that beautiful loot for the taking. Who knows, maybe all those red
giants are really huge core rubies, for all that glitters isn't gold.
(:~)

the nightbat

Old February 17th 04, 06:47 AM
Rick

"onegod" wrote in message ...
That's rediculous.

If you have carbon with high temperature and pressure.... guess what you get
here on earth?

One gets lots of things, diamond being one of the most rare.

Sure it might not be in one piece, but can easily be millions of earth sized
ones.

I'm not doubting that. I took issue with the ridiculous illustration,
which makes it look like the core is one huge diamond.

Rick

Old February 17th 04, 04:32 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Nightbat There can be no doubt that Mars with the greatest volcano
in the solar system must have spewed diamonds out onto Mars surface.
Mars has all the right stuff to create diamonds of great size. Its crust
is 90 miles thick. With such a heavy crust its interior where diamonds
are made has great pressure,and the greater the pressure the bigger the
diamonds. Pink diamonds go with a red planet. A diamond is not
only the best thing to go to Mars for,it really is the only thing worth
taking back to Earth. Bert PS diamonds on Mars surface is easy
pickings for I can see the dust and sand on the surface is only 5 to six
inches deep.

Old February 17th 04, 10:05 PM
onegod

If you have carbon with high temperature and pressure.... guess what you

get
here on earth?

One gets lots of things, diamond being one of the most rare.

That's because it is rare to have HIGH temperature and pressure here on
earth. Sun's temperature cool down from like million degree and one of
first things solidifies is diamond.

Sure it might not be in one piece, but can easily be millions of earth

sized
ones.

I'm not doubting that. I took issue with the ridiculous illustration,
which makes it look like the core is one huge diamond.

Picture look like cut diamond inside, but nature might be much prettier
(like crystals/quarts in earth). And other thing is, to me diamond is
nothing more than slightly shinier glass. You can say it is harder and can
withstand higher temperature, but then I am more interested in computer chip
from silicon.

Old February 18th 04, 02:34 PM
beavith

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:48:46 -0800, "Rick" wrote:

"Bill Hennessy" wrote in message . ..
BBC report abot a star made of diamond.

That gets my vote for the second most absurd astronomy
illustration in mainstream media history, bested only by
CNN's usual illustration of a 3000-mile wide comet plunging
into the Earth every time a km-wide near-Earth object
comes within ten million miles of us.

there's nothing like selling advertising to sex up a story, isn't
there?

Because a star's core is made "mostly from carbon" does
not mean it's made of anything resembling diamond. E.g.
just a few % iron (which is almost a certainty for a star core)
would nix that theory altogether.

not necessarily. colored diamonds are not unusual and just a little
iron will make a yellow diamond. it depends on the convection pattern
in a carbon star and what pressure the C layer would be under. who
knows? at that pressure and radiation regime, there might be phases
of C that don't occur out here in the low pressure universe.
i think that i recall a story about diamond raining out of Jupiter's
lower atmosphere also.
Rick