HELP ! In eyepieice selection

Old August 11th 03, 04:21 PM
Phil Wheeler

Default HELP ! In eyepieice selection

Indianaradio wrote:
Need eyepiece selection help! !

I need to buy a couple (2) eyepieces for a new scope I just ordered. It's an 8"
1200FL Dob.

I'm interested in looking at planets but mostly interested in deep deep deep
space stuff, Ok, as deep as an 8" can get.

Usually they come with a couple of 1.25" EPs. Won't yours? If so, wait
and see how they work for you.

I already have a 2X Tele Vue Big Barlow so I can double my power on each
eyepiece.

"Big" means 2"?

Price is no object but then again I don't want to throw money away if it isn't
necessary.

So I guess I want one for Planets and one for deep space and both to work well
with the Tele Vue Big Barlow. I'm old but don't wear glasses. (Not THAT old)

Some of us have worn glasses since we were very young. Glases acquired
later in life are often for reading only -- so you would not use them
witha scope anyway g

Phil

Old August 11th 03, 07:20 PM
Stephen Paul

"Indianaradio" wrote in message

I need to buy a couple (2) eyepieces for a new scope I just ordered. It's

an 8"
1200FL Dob.

Possibility...... (select the two that best fit your needs)

200mm F6 Telescope:
----------------------
Wide field/finding/general purpose:
24mm Panoptic (4mm exit pupil at 50x; 1.4 degrees tfov )

Open clusters/general purpose:
13mm Nagler Type 6 (2.2mm exit pupil at 92x; 0.9 degrees tfov )

Globulars/Galaxies/Doubles:
9mm Nagler Type 6 (1.5mm exit pupil at 133x; 0.6 degrees tfov )

A mix of the above and the below:
7mm Nagler Type 6 (1.2mm exit pupil at 171x; 0.47 degrees tfov)

Doubles/Planets/Planetary Nebulae/Some Globulars/Some Galaxies:
6mm Radian (1.0 mm exit pupil at 200x; 0.3 degrees tfov)

Planets/Doubles:
5mm Radian (0.8mm exit pupil at 240x; 0.25 degrees tfov)
5mm Nagler T6 (same as Radian only 0.34 degrees tfov)

Radians also have 20mm eye relief across the line, which is more important
to some observers than others. The NT6s have 12mm across the line.

If they would be my _only_ two eyepieces, then personally I'd go with the
24mm Panoptic and the 9mm Nagler. Since you have the barlow, that gives you
50x, 100x, 133x, and 266x. Although that leaves a huge gap between 133x and
266x, that's begging for the 6mm Radian.

Alternatively, the 25mm Plossls that come with most scopes aren't really
"bad", so you might go with a 13mm and 7mm Nagler (or something else in thes
focal lengths. For example, the Ultima series from Celestron, or the Orion
Ultrascopics are a cut above the Plossl, and quite good at 12.5 and 7.5mm,
but with only a 50 degree afov, they are a touch narrow for a Dob user).

But don't just listen to me... there's a lot of information, opinion, and
personal experience to consider. Try before you buy is what they say,
although I've never heard a real complaint about the TeleVue line, except
for the price from those who really don't want to spend that much. But I
don't think you'll find used ones staying on Astromart for very long either,
and at a large portion of there original price.

-Stephen

Old August 11th 03, 07:30 PM
Indianaradio

I am old (60) and I have good eyes except for the third one but that's another
story for another time.
I only wear reading glassess to read and don't need them for the scope.
And not to many floatters.
Old August 12th 03, 03:05 AM
Joe S.

You must be new here. It took me a couple of months but I learned my lesson
about asking for eyepiece advice.

So here's my advice:
1. Get a new credit card with a BIG limit.
2. Buy every eyepiece you see advertised everywhere.
3. Try 'em all.
4. Sell the ones you don't like on eBay or Astromart.

----
Joe S.

"Indianaradio" wrote in message
Need eyepiece selection help! !

I need to buy a couple (2) eyepieces for a new scope I just ordered. It's

an 8"
1200FL Dob.

I'm interested in looking at planets but mostly interested in deep deep

deep
space stuff, Ok, as deep as an 8" can get.

I already have a 2X Tele Vue Big Barlow so I can double my power on each
eyepiece.

Price is no object but then again I don't want to throw money away if it

isn't
necessary.

So I guess I want one for Planets and one for deep space and both to work

well
with the Tele Vue Big Barlow. I'm old but don't wear glasses. (Not THAT

old)

Thanks much for your help.

Gene

Old August 12th 03, 04:09 AM
Indianaradio

Joe, I did that with my NextStar and it worked great. Bought, sold, bought,
sold, bought, sold, on and on till I came up with the right combo. I sold
everything last spring.
But my wife say's if I do the eyepeices thing again I'm cut off for a year.
5' 2" 98lb long blond hair, well never mine you get the point.
Now I bought a 8" f 5 and I have no idea as to what is best for this scope for
deeeeep space and minor planet work.
I know Nagler will probally be my choice but don't know what power or type is
best for an f5 scope , hence my post.
I will also use a TeleVue big barlow.
Gene
Old August 12th 03, 04:22 AM
Phil Wheeler

Indianaradio wrote:

Now I bought a 8" f 5 and I have no idea as to what is best for this scope for
deeeeep space and minor planet work.

I have a 10" f/5 Dob (GS from OPT) and I mostly use a Vixen 8-24 mm zoom
EP. Some love them and some do not, but it has great eye relief and is
really good for hunting and zooming in if something looks a bit fuzzy
but small (with a Dob, EP changes often lose the target). Cost is below
$200, I believe, and you get lots of flexibility. It is by far my most
used EP on all scopes (refractor, Dob and two SCTs)

Phil