Betelgeuse

Old January 23rd 20, 01:38 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

Default Betelgeuse

As you have probably heard, the star Betelgeuse has been dimming lately.
For now I consider this more of an interesting curiosity than anything
else. But it just seems to just keep on dimming. See for instance
https://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betelgeuse#/media/File:Betelgeuse_AAVSO_2019.jpg

Does anyone around here have some knowledge about what is going on? Is
there some threshold under which one can say that this isn't just normal
variations? I mean if the magnitude of Betelgeuse went all the way to
3.0, I would be getting excited about this. But that 3.0 is just a
number I pulled out of thin air. Does someone more knowledgeable have a
more significant number beyond which the luminosity variation is
indicating more dramatic variations?

Any other comments on this?

Alain Fournier
Old January 23rd 20, 02:58 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else[_3_]

On 23/01/2020 11:38 am, Alain Fournier wrote:
As you have probably heard, the star Betelgeuse has been dimming lately.
For now I consider this more of an interesting curiosity than anything
else. But it just seems to just keep on dimming. See for instance
https://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betelgeuse#/media/File:Betelgeuse_AAVSO_2019.jpg

Does anyone around here have some knowledge about what is going on? Is
there some threshold under which one can say that this isn't just normal
variations? I mean if the magnitude of Betelgeuse went all the way to
3.0, I would be getting excited about this. But that 3.0 is just a
number I pulled out of thin air. Does someone more knowledgeable have a
more significant number beyond which the luminosity variation is
indicating more dramatic variations?

Any other comments on this?

Alain Fournier

Well, we're all hoping that it's about to go supernova, of coure.

But I don't think anyone can give you a definite answer, because that
would imply a certain knowledge about whether it will go supernova now,
or not.

Perhaps this is what a star does for tens of thousands of years before
it goes bang.

Sylvia.
Old February 2nd 20, 02:04 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

On Jan/22/2020 at 20:58, Sylvia Else wrote :
[...]

I just found this:
http://www.astronomerstelegram.org/?read=13410

"If these recent light changes are due to an extra-large amplitude light
pulse on the ~420-day period, then the next mid-light minimum is
expected during late January/early February, 2020. If Betelgeuse
continues to dim after that time then other possibilities will have to
be considered. The unusual behavior of Betelgeuse should be closely
watched."

So the next few magnitude readings will probably put an end to the
excitement about Betelgeuse. Let's hope they don't :-)

Alain Fournier
Old February 10th 20, 11:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Louis Epstein[_2_]

Alain Fournier wrote:
[...]

Is Belegeuse,or Eta Carinae,actually more "about to blow"?

-=-=-
Old February 22nd 20, 07:49 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

Le Feb/1/2020 Ã* 20:04, Alain Fournier a écritÂ*:
[...]

The latest luminosity reading seems indicate Betelgeuse has started
rebrightening as the "extra-large amplitude light pulse on the ~420-day
period" predicted. I still expect Betelgeuse to go supernova anytime
now. Well in the astronomical sense, anytime in the next 100,000 years.

Alain Fournier
Old April 24th 20, 12:22 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

Betelgeuse luminosity is now reaching what it was at its most recent
luminosity high (March 2019) and the curve is not showing any sign of
slowing down. Still too early to be excited, but I think it is
worthwhile to monitor its luminosity.

Alain Fournier

Old April 24th 20, 12:41 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Scott Kozel

On Thursday, April 23, 2020 at 7:22:16 PM UTC-4, Alain Fournier wrote:
Betelgeuse luminosity is now reaching what it was at its most recent
luminosity high (March 2019) and the curve is not showing any sign of
slowing down. Still too early to be excited, but I think it is
worthwhile to monitor its luminosity.

So were some people worrying that it might die out entirely?
Old April 24th 20, 02:19 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

On 2020-04-23 7:22 PM, Alain Fournier wrote:
Betelgeuse luminosity is now reaching what it was at its most recent
luminosity high (March 2019) and the curve is not showing any sign of
slowing down. Still too early to be excited, but I think it is
worthwhile to monitor its luminosity.

Alain Fournier

Natch it is now passing into our daylight sky as summer approaches.
If goes supernova we might see a bright spot in the daytime sky this
summer. If it persists into next winter, THAT would be spectacular.

Let's hope if it is heading this way it holds off for a few months!
Personally I hope not. I like it they way it is....

Dave

Old August 16th 20, 12:57 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

On 2020-04-23 7:22 PM, Alain Fournier wrote:
Betelgeuse luminosity is now reaching what it was at its most recent
luminosity high (March 2019) and the curve is not showing any sign of
slowing down. Still too early to be excited, but I think it is
worthwhile to monitor its luminosity.

Alain Fournier

Natch it is now passing into our daylight sky as summer approaches.
If goes supernova we might see a bright spot in the daytime sky this
summer. If it persists into next winter, THAT would be spectacular.

Let's hope if it is heading this way it holds off for a few months!
Personally I hope not. I like it they way it is....

Dave

It has now crossed the sun and has survived :-) Its luminosity is on its
way down. It should be continuing to dim for several more months (but
who knows, it isn't really following the script any more) but it has
already reached its dimmest value of the 20 years prior to November 2019
(V-magnitude over 1), though still very far from the 1.8 magnitude of
earlier this year.

It is hard to tell from the few data points available, but its current
dimming cycle seems to be even more pronounced than the previous one at
the same point in the cycle. So it might dim to more than a 1.8
magnitude this time. Who knows? I still think it is about to go super
nova. On an astronomical time scale, that is within the next 100,000
years or so.

Alain Fournier
Old August 26th 20, 08:18 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

On 2020-04-23 7:22 PM, Alain Fournier wrote:
[...]

So have you seen this article on the possibility it is dimming because
of the ejection of large amount of material that has cooled and is in
our line of sight?

Dave

Synopsis:
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...6hu-story.html

Actual Paper: (paywalled)
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/1...38-4357/aba516

Betelgeuse Going Nova kT Space Station 4 June 18th 09 04:39 AM
Brightness of Betelgeuse Robert Lunsford Amateur Astronomy 2 October 28th 06 10:13 AM
How far away - and how big - is Betelgeuse????????? rick Astronomy Misc 2 December 3rd 04 01:53 AM
Betelgeuse JOHN PAZMINO Amateur Astronomy 1 November 22nd 04 02:41 PM
Betelgeuse tony hoffman Amateur Astronomy 14 November 21st 04 09:44 PM