For Herb's Convenience, a Repost Apollo One, the FBI, and Scott Grissom

Old June 13th 04, 11:23 PM
LaDonna Wyss

Default For Herb's Convenience, a Repost Apollo One, the FBI, and Scott Grissom

As a matter of fact, I'm copy/pasting my answer to Herb's question
from last night because I know how easily messages get lost in lengthy
threads where one must weed through all the nonsense concerning
various people's sex lives (or lack thereof):

Well, now, I guess I'm going to have to repeat what I posted a week
ago in order to answer your question (it truly would be helpful if you
folks would have read it last Sunday): First, what you choose to
believe when I am finished depends on whether you wish to believe
Frank Borman or whether you choose to believe the facts. Borman
claimed the rocket was safetied. That would have meant that yes, it
was actually ready to pull the CM off the stack but no, the pyros had
been safetied (by the pulling out of Panel 150; I'm too tired to go
into THAT tonight, but if you need those details I'll reiterate THAT
part of my earlier post tomorrow.) The evidence, however, indicates
the pyros were not safetied until after the fire (note Borman doesn't
bother to tell Congress WHEN it was safetied--a cute trick every
six-year-old knows.)
Here is what happened during the fi
1. Repeated gimbal torque motor signals.
2. SCS oscillating in roll, pitch, and yaw.
3. LEV accelerometers oscillating in pitch and yaw.
4. RCS jet driver activation commands in all 16 flight directions.
5. 12.4 and 13.6 seconds: Roger switches the entry batteries over to
the main batteries, which not only ensures the suit compressor will
continue functioning but also completes the Emergency Detection System
circuit.
6. 17 seconds: They receive a Program Check Fail and an Error Detect
Fail. These are abort failures. They generate a guidance and
navigation warning, two Master Caution and Warning, and two DSKY
lights.
7. 18.5 seconds: Gus rotates the T-handle to the translation
controller 360 degrees clockwise and switches thrust vector control
on. THIS SWITCHES FROM THE APOLLO GUIDANCE COMPUTER TO MANUAL
ATTITUDE CONTROL.
So the question is: Why is he worried about that in the middle of a
cockpit fire on the ground UNLESS he is afraid the LEV is about to
light? And, as I mentioned before (and this was so interesting to Stu
Roosa that he ordered close-ups of this switch) the BMAG switch had
ALSO been turned off. The BMAGS do not have to be turned off in order
to engage manual attitude control; however, in the event of a guidance
and navigation failure, the BMAGS serve as a back-up so they will
CONTINUE TO SEND ERROR MESSAGES TO THE AGC. Again, another indication
Gus was worried the auto abort was either about to be or already had
been engaged.
Finally, for those who are about to argue THIS point: Once an abort
has been triggered, it cannot be stopped simply by switching off the
EDS. There is a failsafe built in so that in the event of an
electrical failure an auto abort will continue. The only way to stop
it is by switching to manual control.
Old June 14th 04, 12:07 AM
Scott Hedrick

"LaDonna Wyss" wrote in message
m...
As a matter of fact, I'm copy/pasting my answer to Herb's question
from last night

You forgot to include the *verifiable references* for all of that.
Otherwise, it's just your word, and you've already demonstrated how little
that's worth.