Venus Transit - Earth Transit

Old June 12th 04, 04:16 PM
Aunt Buffy

Default Venus Transit - Earth Transit

Just wondering.

If I were an venusian, viewing in the visible spectrum and able to see thru
the cloud layer, would the transit last tuesday have been a visual treat for
me? Would I see Earth disappear or would a shadow of venus have traversed
Earth ( I am thinking the latter)?

Old June 12th 04, 04:36 PM
Bill Nunnelee

Remember that observers on the sunlit side of Earth still saw a very bright
sun, with a tiny dark speck traveling across it. Anyone on Venus would've
just seen the Earth get slightly dimmer. Venus would have needed to totally
blot out the sun, the way the moon does during a total eclipse, to get a
clearly defined umbral shadow.

Old June 12th 04, 04:48 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message 66Fyc.324$wX5.87@newsfe6-win, Aunt Buffy
writes
Just wondering.

If I were an venusian, viewing in the visible spectrum and able to see thru
the cloud layer, would the transit last tuesday have been a visual treat for
me? Would I see Earth disappear or would a shadow of venus have traversed
Earth ( I am thinking the latter)?

You wouldn't see anything. The shadow cone wouldn't block a significant
amount of light (you might detect it with sensitive instruments, just as
astronomers in the western USA tried to detect the reduction in light
reflected from the Earth. Did they succeed?) Think of it like a lunar
eclipse, but with a much smaller body casting the shadow.

Old June 12th 04, 05:08 PM
Lloyd Jones

Someone in here told me that it would be impossible to see the Venus transit
with them special eclipse glasses, but I could clearly see it. I had to
look at it a few times before I saw it. I know it was only a black dot, but
it was beautiful, and I feel privileged to have witnessed it.

LJ

Old June 12th 04, 09:22 PM
Paul Lawler

"Lloyd Jones" wrote in message
Someone in here told me that it would be impossible to see the Venus

transit
with them special eclipse glasses, but I could clearly see it. I had to
look at it a few times before I saw it. I know it was only a black dot,

but
it was beautiful, and I feel privileged to have witnessed it.

I know that I (and I'm quite sure most of the people here) told you that you
_could_ see it with eclipse glasses (only required to protect your vision).

Old June 13th 04, 01:09 AM
Lloyd Jones

No Paul, abousltely no one in here told me directly that I could. Why do
you say that without any facts to back it up? or do you just like adding
negative things to every thing I say!

LJ

Old June 13th 04, 01:37 AM
Paul Lawler

"Lloyd Jones" wrote in message

No Paul, abousltely no one in here told me directly that I could. Why do
you say that without any facts to back it up? or do you just like adding
negative things to every thing I say!

Not at all Lloyd... but yes, I did tell you directly that you could.

Facts to back it up:
Paul Lawler" wrote in message
"Lloyd Jones" wrote in message
Thanks for your posts mates,

I really want to see it, I wish I had the right equipment.

If you contact your local science museum they probably have something called
"Sun Peeps" made from mylar film available for less than two quid.

P.S. It's spelled "absolutely"

Old June 13th 04, 01:43 AM
Lloyd Jones

And where are these facts?

P.S. I see you haven't answered my other post about your spelling. Don't
tell me it was a typo, LOL

LJ

Old June 13th 04, 02:03 AM
Lloyd Jones

Paul,

I don't come in here to argue. I come in here to learn and to add.

So the only way to settle this is in future is you don't post any bitchy
remarks about me and vice versa.

LJ

Old June 13th 04, 03:42 AM
Paul Lawler

"Lloyd Jones" wrote in message
And where are these facts?

P.S. I see you haven't answered my other post about your spelling. Don't
tell me it was a typo, LOL

Hello? Lloyd? Are you there? Here is the post with the "facts"

Paul Lawler" wrote in message
"Lloyd Jones" wrote in message
Thanks for your posts mates,

I really want to see it, I wish I had the right equipment.

If you contact your local science museum they probably have something called
"Sun Peeps" made from mylar film available for less than two quid.

I guess YOU have never made a spelling error, right, Lloyd?