Help with Venus Transit

Old May 8th 04, 04:30 PM
Rick Mintz

Default Help with Venus Transit

Here are my choices for the Transit.

(1) Projection with a 7x50 binocular with neutral density over the objective
lens.
(2) Projection with a 50mm scope finder (with straight thru or right angle
prism) and eyepiece.
(3) Projection with a 8" f/6 Newtonian at 49x with an aperture card (size?)

I'd appreciate some help choosing the method so as to produce a reasonable
image scale, etc.

After the mechanics are set I can head south to the hills to find a usable
viewing site. The max solar elevation here at IV contact is 18 degrees.

Thanks.

Rick

Old May 8th 04, 11:32 PM
Abdul Ahad

"Rick Mintz" wrote in message . ..
Here are my choices for the Transit.

(1) Projection with a 7x50 binocular with neutral density over the objective
lens.
(2) Projection with a 50mm scope finder (with straight thru or right angle
prism) and eyepiece.
(3) Projection with a 8" f/6 Newtonian at 49x with an aperture card (size?)

I'd appreciate some help choosing the method so as to produce a reasonable
image scale, etc.

After the mechanics are set I can head south to the hills to find a usable
viewing site. The max solar elevation here at IV contact is 18 degrees.

Thanks.

Rick

Rick,
It might prove a useful guide for you to know that I was able to view
the transit of Mercury quite successfully back in May 2003, through my
4.5-inch Newtonian scope, using the projection method at a
magnification of 54x. I have a brief account of that event he

http://uk.geocities.com/aa_spaceagent/mercury.html

As you will note, there was some cloud and a low Sun elevation at the
time, coupled with the fact that Mercury always exhibits a much
smaller apparent disk size compared to Venus, but none the less I was
satisfied with the results.

Best of luck!
Abdul Ahad
Old May 9th 04, 04:04 AM
Sam Wormley

Observing Eclipses Safely
http://www.mreclipse.com/Totality/TotalityCh11.html

Solar Filters
http://www.mreclipse.com/Special/filters.html

Eye Safety
http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclips...lp/safety.html
Old May 9th 04, 04:12 AM
Rick Mintz

Hi Adbul,

Thanks for the info. One more question........ what filters were you using
on the 4.5 Newtonian?

Rick

"Abdul Ahad" wrote in message
om...

. ..

Old May 9th 04, 12:08 PM
Abdul Ahad

"Rick Mintz" wrote in message ...
Hi Adbul,

Thanks for the info. One more question........ what filters were you using
on the 4.5 Newtonian?

Rick

No filters were used, the scope was exposed to the full intensity of
the Sun to get the projected image you see in my pics. Since I had no
plans to look directly through the eyepiece (!!!! VERY IMPORTANT TO
STAY 100% ALERT AND REMEMBER NEVER TO DO THAT !!!!) once the image was
safely projected onto a white piece of card, I just snapped away using
my digital camera.

If you plan to use a bigger scope like the 8-inch Newtonian you
mentioned, with higher magnifications, you may want to reduce the
aperture by covering part of the tube. With prolonged, full aperture
exposure to the Sun, there may be a danger of 'overheating' in the
eyepiece end of your scope.

My plans are to repeat the same exercise with Venus next month as I
did with Mercury last year. I think I can afford to take some risks
with my Tal telescope.

Abdul Ahad