ASTRO: Pk 52-2.2

Old July 14th 10, 09:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

Default ASTRO: Pk 52-2.2

Pk 52-2.2
Penryn, California
M 250@ f9.3 (ag, ST-4)
ST-10XME lrgb 10 minute subs

Couldn't find any data on this stellar planetary, estimates of size
range from 4" to 10" at a magnitude 12.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pk_52-2.2-lrgb-M10.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	3027
Old July 14th 10, 08:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

On 7/14/2010 3:31 AM, glen youman wrote:
Pk 52-2.2
Penryn, California
M 250@ f9.3 (ag, ST-4)
ST-10XME lrgb 10 minute subs

Couldn't find any data on this stellar planetary, estimates of size
range from 4" to 10" at a magnitude 12.

Need Hubble to see much in that one.

Rick

Old July 15th 10, 06:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

Image scale, I though I was shooting someting larger.

Checking the weather this AM saw where you were forecast for some
severe weather - any problems?

Old July 15th 10, 08:07 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

This year that's business as usual. We duck a lot this year. Normally
this part of the state doesn't get tornadoes more than small EF1 or EF0
ones. But suddenly we are seeing a bunch of stronger ones in the area
though nothing closer than about 10 miles. It's the high sustained
winds that come even on "nice" days that keep dropping trees. My back
is still screaming from all those I've had to cut up that fell across
the road. We now have about a 5 year supply of heating wood that I've
just taken out of the road any my black powder shooting range. I have
another 10 years down or hung up (widow maker style) I've not yet
started on. It's cut severely into my processing time. I'd normally
make a lot of headway this time of the year as I can take but one image
a night, if that, due to a short period between end and start of
astronomical twilight. But when you spend all day cutting trees it gets
to you. I wish I was 40 years younger. Sure would help!

Each year three or 4 fall across the road and range. More like 30 or 40
this year. Yet you can't see much change. Still very dense forest.

There's a boy scout camp a couple miles west of me. Ever since that BS
camp in Iowa lost kids to a tornado they've become real gun shy of the
weather. It gets cloudy and the storm siren to take cover blows. They
are west of me and that's the wind direction most stormy days so at 5
a.m. I was woke up by it going off. I saw nothing but light rain, very
little lightning and what there was was cloud to cloud but fired up the
computer to look at the radar. Nothing serious here but 70 miles south
an F3 was leveling some farms and heading straight east. I shut the
windows to block the siren and went back to bed. I hate that siren.
The kids must go to shelter while it is blowing and they blow it a lot
for no good reason. Teaching kids to ignore those that really mean
business. There were some nasty ones down Twin Cities way.

Rick

Old July 15th 10, 08:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

I was raised in Norther Nebraska and saw the results of many a tornado
but had to move to California to see my first tornado - small one only
affected mobil homes - I think they cause tornados (8)

Old July 15th 10, 08:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

Germany had some tornado activity on an island in the baltic (?),
there was some damage and people injured IIRC.

Thought of Stefan when I saw the article.

Old July 15th 10, 08:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

I lived in Lincoln NE for over 60 years. Omaha before that. So as a
ham radio storm spotter I saw lots of them as well as the debris they
left. I assume you moved before the advent of the Nebraska Star Party
at Merrit Reservoir near Valentine our club helped start. Excellent
skies there when it isn't storming.

Rick

Old July 15th 10, 09:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

Wife is from Valentine, I'm from Ainsworth so we both know what truly
dark skys are all about.

Attended NSP5.

Old July 15th 10, 06:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

On 7/15/2010 3:27 AM, glen youman wrote:
Wife is from Valentine, I'm from Ainsworth so we both know what truly
dark skys are all about.

Attended NSP5.

Then you are one up on me. Never made it. I was an accounting prof at
a small college up here for many years in the summer, Business Law and
Accounting prof at UNL then retired up here but kept the small college
job. Just quit that so this year I could finally go and they wanted me
for a speaker as well but other commitments moved into that date I can't
unmove so miss again this year.

Skies here are similar, just that down there you can go right to the
horizon with little problem, up here you can't get within 25 degrees of
it without the skies going bad due to fog rising over the lake summer or
winter. Above that they are similar as long as auroral activity stays
away. I liked this long minimum! That is leaving rapidly. So far
clouds have been here most nights with bright skies thanks to the sun
but expect that to change as we get more of those auroral nights.

Rick

Old July 21st 10, 11:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Glen,

we had several tornados this year, including one on the isle "Helgoland" in
the north sea and one in Saxony which destroyed large parts of a village.
It is very unusual to have tornados in Germany, we sometimes get some dust
devils, but usually nothing severe.
Weather seems to be changing here from moderate climate to very cold winters
and very hot summers. Last winter was the coldest I can remember with
temperatures around minus 10 degrees celsius even during daytime for almost
three month, and summer has been the hottest for more than 100 years so far
(with daytime temperatures around +35 deg celsius).

Stefan