I'm going back in time to fix the space program. Y'all got any requests?

Old July 5th 03, 11:47 PM
OM

Default I'm going back in time to fix the space program. Y'all got any requests?

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 08:38:34 -0500, "Christopher M. Jones"
wrote:

Or, back even further, rebuff Batista and install a democratic
regime in Cuba in the early 1950s or mid 1940s (which would
be my preferred choice).

....And install Desi Arnaz as a puppet dictator more in tune with the
necessities of running a country as a successful business.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old July 6th 03, 02:21 AM
Rusty Barton

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 16:47:08 -0600, OM
om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org

wrote:

Or, back even further, rebuff Batista and install a democratic
regime in Cuba in the early 1950s or mid 1940s (which would
be my preferred choice).

...And install Desi Arnaz as a puppet dictator more in tune with the
necessities of running a country as a successful business.

OM

That would make Lucy the Evita of Cuba. "Luuuccccyyy! You have some
'splaining to do!" ;^)

Rusty Barton - Antelope, California
--
Visit my Titan 1 ICBM website at:
http://www.geocities.com/titan_1_missile
Old July 6th 03, 05:59 AM
OM

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 18:21:47 -0700, Rusty Barton
wrote:

...And install Desi Arnaz as a puppet dictator more in tune with the
necessities of running a country as a successful business.

That would make Lucy the Evita of Cuba. "Luuuccccyyy! You have some
'splaining to do!" ;^)

"Fred! What did Loocy an' Ethyl do?!?"

"Ricky, you know how women are. They were foolin' around on that
missile launcher, and Lucy got her purse caught on that lever, and..."

"Ay caramba! That missile is headed for Miami! Looocy! This is so
reedeeculous!"

"Waaaaaaaah!"

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old July 7th 03, 01:34 PM
Kaido Kert

"Len" wrote in message
om...
Unclaimed Mysteries wrote in message

1). Don't form NASA.

Some stuff could have fixed on june 7th, 1962. That was the date when moon
landing method was set to be lunar orbit rendezvous. It was this day when to
much of a surprise for everyone, von Braun announced his support for LOR at
the meeting at Marshall.
Had it been EOR as von Braun and his crew initially wanted, it could
possibly have kicked off some real space infrastructure. On orbit mission
staging, refuelling and construction would perhaps have become routine and
opened up markets for many LEO services.

-kert

Old July 9th 03, 09:17 PM
Len

"Kaido Kert" wrote in message ...
"Len" wrote in message
om...
Unclaimed Mysteries wrote in message

1). Don't form NASA.

Some stuff could have fixed on june 7th, 1962. That was the date when moon
landing method was set to be lunar orbit rendezvous. It was this day when to
much of a surprise for everyone, von Braun announced his support for LOR at
the meeting at Marshall.
Had it been EOR as von Braun and his crew initially wanted, it could
possibly have kicked off some real space infrastructure. On orbit mission
staging, refuelling and construction would perhaps have become routine and
opened up markets for many LEO services.

-kert

I agree completely that a decision to go EOR would have
made a huge difference.

However, I still maintain that the booby trap was set
with the decision to make a superagency that would not
allow competition or dissent.

Competition and possible dissent is the real way to
curb runaway bureaucracies from exercising too much
power.

The 1973 Procurement Commission studies focused on
competition--especially at the exploratory level, but
continuing throughout the operational level--as being
the key way to fix the procurement system that McNamara
permanently broke. The NASA Manned Space Flight mafia
is just another example of the mess that an all-powerful
bureaucracy can compile.

Best regards,
Len (Cormier)
PanAero, Inc. and Third Millennium Aerospace, Inc.
( http://www.tour2space.com )
Old July 10th 03, 08:42 PM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Kaido Kert wrote:
Some stuff could have fixed on june 7th, 1962. That was the date when moon
landing method was set to be lunar orbit rendezvous. It was this day when to
much of a surprise for everyone, von Braun announced his support for LOR at
the meeting at Marshall.

Don't forget that the reason LOR gradually won people over, climaxing with
von Braun, was that the problems of EOR -- specifically, flying a lunar
landing with the EOR craft -- looked harder and harder as they were
examined more closely. There was a *reason* why LOR won; it wasn't just
someone's whim.

Had it been EOR as von Braun and his crew initially wanted, it could
possibly have kicked off some real space infrastructure.

I really doubt it. The most likely EOR approach, given availability of
the Saturn V (*) and Apollo's tight schedule, was simply docking the
spacecraft to a TLI stage in orbit. There's no infrastructure in that.

(* Earlier concepts -- including earlier LOR concepts! -- envisioned more
substantial orbital assembly, inevitable with the smaller Saturns. If you
want to start orbital operations and infrastructure, the key is not to get
EOR chosen over LOR, but to get von Braun to conclude that Apollo would
have to be based on Saturn I derivatives, that the larger concepts were
too big a jump and would take too long to develop. Plausible arguments
could be made for that; the Saturn V ended up larger than most of the
original Nova concepts, which were rejected for that very reason.)

On orbit mission
staging, refuelling and construction would perhaps have become routine and
opened up markets for many LEO services.

Maybe. The trick to opening up markets for LEO services is not "markets"
but "opening" -- you don't open any markets so long as everything is a
government project.
--
MOST launched 1015 EDT 30 June, separated 1046, | Henry Spencer
first ground-station pass 1651, all nominal! |