NASA uses Mars as an excuses to keep ISS

Old September 3rd 09, 05:59 PM posted to sci.physics, sci.space.policy
Marvin the Martian

Default NASA uses Mars as an excuses to keep ISS

Here the argument is that NASA needs to spend money and time on their toy
space station.

http://www.smartbrief.com/news/aia/storyDetails.jsp?
issueid=4200843E-0CB2-4EC3-BA58-908C50BC821E&copyid=B513BE71-23AF-49F4-
A35B-731A8675A076

This is the best excuse that NASA can come up with to keep the ISS going.

Here's the problem with this thinking:

1) You're going to do radiation tests on scads of people to see if the
radiation is safe for a dozen people?! What's the logic in that?
2) The radiation data gathered would be trivial. The Russians should
already have radiation data from low earth orbit from their long duration
space flights, and we should have similar from our longest sky lab
missions.
3) The ISS is different than what Dr. Zubrin envisioned for a Mars
flight, which would be a tethered rotating system to provide artificial
gravity. So a trip to Mars would have some gravity and no protection from
radiation by the van allen belts. Other than being completely different,
I guess that's the same.
Old September 3rd 09, 06:04 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.policy
Dirk Van de moortel[_3_]

Marvin the Martian wrote in message

[...]

Marvin The Martian uses the fact that "NASA uses Mars as an
excuses -sic- to keep ISS" as an excuse to make a public fool
of himself on Usenet.

Dirk Vdm
Old September 3rd 09, 06:14 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.policy
Jan Panteltje[_2_]

They should just push the ISS towards mars.
With crew, stuff fthe lab space with some mars bars and onions.
And send Moortel along too.
LOL
Old September 3rd 09, 06:24 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.policy
Androcles[_20_]

"Jan Panteltje" wrote in message
They should just push the ISS towards mars.
With crew, stuff fthe lab space with some mars bars and onions.
And send Moortel along too.
LOL

I thought you were nuts until you showed how useful that could be.
Don't forget the garlic, and how will make sure he can't get back?

Old September 3rd 09, 08:28 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.policy
Uncle Al

Marvin the Martian wrote:

[...]

Nobody goes to Mars in any projected scenario and survives the round
trip for radiation, system failures, social friction... and
consummables,

http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/numba2.htm

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
Old September 3rd 09, 08:48 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.policy
eric gisse

Marvin the Martian wrote:

Here the argument is that NASA needs to spend money and time on their toy
space station.

http://www.smartbrief.com/news/aia/storyDetails.jsp?
issueid=4200843E-0CB2-4EC3-BA58-908C50BC821E&copyid=B513BE71-23AF-49F4-
A35B-731A8675A076

This is the best excuse that NASA can come up with to keep the ISS going.

Asinine.

The ISS could serve a useful purpose, but NASA prefers to do endless tests
on cockroaches and mice rather than hard science.

Here's the problem with this thinking:

1) You're going to do radiation tests on scads of people to see if the
radiation is safe for a dozen people?! What's the logic in that?
2) The radiation data gathered would be trivial. The Russians should
already have radiation data from low earth orbit from their long duration
space flights, and we should have similar from our longest sky lab
missions.

I'm gonna disagree with this one.

The data gathered would be worthless, as the ISS (and other such tests)
are/were comfortably done under the protection of LEO. LEO, as I state the
obvious, is well within the Van Allen belt. Mars is not.

3) The ISS is different than what Dr. Zubrin envisioned for a Mars
flight, which would be a tethered rotating system to provide artificial
gravity. So a trip to Mars would have some gravity and no protection from
radiation by the van allen belts. Other than being completely different,
I guess that's the same.

Well I guess I just wasted the taps on the keyboard...
Old September 3rd 09, 09:49 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.policy
kT

Uncle Al wrote:
Marvin the Martian wrote:
[...]

It would have to be a really smart and clever astronaut!

http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/numba2.htm

Old September 4th 09, 04:51 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.policy
Marvin the Martian

Dr. Zubrin covers the issue of radiation in his book, "The Case for
Mars". Basically, you have a small shielded safe room for solar storms.
The radiation levels are otherwise a small risk over the next 30 years.
Considering all the other things that can kill you on a mission to Mars,
worrying about radiation is not rational.
Old September 4th 09, 04:52 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.policy
Marvin the Martian

On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 15:49:11 -0500, kT wrote:

Uncle Al wrote:
Marvin the Martian wrote:
[...]

I guess some people, like Uncle Al, don't believe in engineering.
Old September 4th 09, 05:16 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.policy
Uncle Al

Marvin the Martian wrote:

Dr. Zubrin covers the issue of radiation in his book, "The Case for
Mars". Basically, you have a small shielded safe room for solar storms.
The radiation levels are otherwise a small risk over the next 30 years.
Considering all the other things that can kill you on a mission to Mars,
worrying about radiation is not rational.

Go to ISS FUBAR, close your eyes. See those rings? Cerenkov rings.
NASA and the USSR admit 95% of all long duration (three months or
more) asstronaughts get radiation cataracts. Go into interstellar
space, outside both the atmosphere and the magnetosphere, and get
cooked.

Are ya gonna live in the "small shielded safe room" ass to tea kettle
with the stink of yourself and your crewmates? How much shielding ism
neeed to stop GeV protons, pair formation gammas, and nuclear
spallation products including neutrons, N-14(n,p)C-14? LOTS. The
Earth's atmosphere is equivalent to a yard of lead mass/cm^2, 760 mm
of mercury. Turn on a Geiger counter. Do you hear crickets behind a
yard of lead shielding and inside a 40,000 mile radius magnetosphere?

You go and get cooked. Tell us how the toilet and its black water
tank worked out after a couple of years of inputs. Ask RV parks how
it works out in a one-gee field, sailboats, state parks.