Hubble to be abandoned

Old February 20th 04, 11:57 AM
Pat Flannery

Default Hubble to be abandoned

LooseChanj wrote:

I was exaggeratting just a bit, but damn it sure did look like one hot dog
landing.

This reminds me of a Lear jet landing I saw at our airport- forewarned
to watch it by one of my coworkers who was a pilot. The Lear started
making a normal approach, then suddenly dived at the very end of the
runway, before pulling out at the last second and touching down in
around the first hundred feet of the runway, then braked violently to a
halt- using about a quarter of the 6,500 foot runway in total. "He used
to fly Phantom IIs off of a carrier back in the Navy...." my coworker
stated. I was impressed.

Pat

Old February 21st 04, 04:12 PM
Charlie A.

Looks like Hubble is running for President in 2004!

-------------------------
SAVE HUBBLE FOR KIDS SAKE!

http://www.Hubble2004.com

What Can I do NOW to help SAVE Hubble Space Telescope?
The best way to get your voice heard is in chorus with others, as a
group we can make sure the Hubble Space Telescope will be maintained
for the "Worlds" benefit. NASA has said that the telescope is too
"risky" to maintain, but at the same time they support sending
astronauts to Mars as their current and past "robotic" missions are
repeatedly having serious technical problems.

We're starting a GLOBAL petition that will take the voices of people
from all over the world and send them to the US Congress to pass a
resolution to allow the Hubble to provide imagery until the mission is
complete in 2011. At that time, its expected that a new telescope
will replace Hubble.
-------------------------

(Edward Wright) wrote in message . com...
"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message ...

If you abandon a crippled
Shuttle in orbit, with no way to make a controlled reentry, it's
going to make an uncontrolled reentry. Over 100 tons of metal,
toxic propellants, etc. will eventually come to Earth, possibly
over inhabited areas.

Note that this scenario is also true for Space Station missions,
which NASA seems to consider worthy of the risk.

You are correct; the crippled shuttle would have to be undocked from
ISS before the rescue shuttle could dock.

And could be redocked afterward. Not the same thing at all.

No, the shuttle cannot be redocked unmanned.

I'm sure Eileen Collins would disagree -- but who said the Shuttle had
to be unmanned? Damaged tiles would prevent the Shuttle from
reentering safely, but they would not prevent pilots from entering the
Shuttle and using RCS thrusters to move it. Undocking and redocking is
a minor technical problem, not an insurmountable obstacle.

Even if moving a Shuttle was an insurmountable problem, you're
overlooking something else. NASA doesn't necessarily need a "rescue
shuttle." The stranded crew could return home via Soyuz, which uses a
different docking port. Evacuating an entire Shuttle crew might take
several flights, but it could be done, as long as they had enough
life-support supplies.

I'd like to save Hubble, too, but I don't think NASA will take the
political, public relations, and safety risks associated with a
Shuttle servicing mission. Exaggerating the danger of sending
astronauts to ISS won't convince anyone to send astronauts on a
dangerous mission to Hubble.

Old February 21st 04, 04:25 PM
Terrell Miller

Default F-102 and F-106 (was Hubble to be abandoned)

"Peter Stickney" wrote in message

this may be urban myth, but a long time ago I read that part of the

"Saber
Dance" thing was because a specific old-timer at the McDonnell plant was
supposed to be installing nuts upside down for some reason, but he'd

been
there twenty years and he knew damn well you don't install nuts

back'ards.
So under certain flight profiles an aileron would get hung up on the
"properly" installed nut. Apparently they never told the poor schlub how
many pilots he'd killed.

The other problem offurred with F-86Fs and F-86Hs built, I believe, at
North American's Inglewood plant. There was a connection in the
aileron linkage that, because of the danger of the linkage binding
when the wing flexed at high speeds, needed to be assembled in an
unusual, non-standard manner. (This fault, BTW, is what killed Joe
MacConnel, the #1 USAF/UN Ace from the Korean War, while testing the
F-86H) Some guy on the line figured that the drawings were wrong,
'cause you just don't put a bolt in that way, and did the hookup the
way he thought it should be done.

that's what I was thinking of, just got the wrong Saber. Thanks, Pete.

--
Terrell Miller

"It's one thing to burn down the **** house and another thing entirely to
install plumbing"
-PJ O'Rourke

Old February 21st 04, 04:41 PM
G EddieA95

We're starting a GLOBAL petition that will take the voices of people
from all over the world and send them to the US Congress

"The world" doesn't vote in this country. Sorry.
Old February 21st 04, 04:41 PM
Dave Michelson

Alain Fournier wrote:

You have already tried. We have a wall around are city to protect us. Until
now it has never failed :-)

Yes, it worked quite well in 1759 ;-)

--
Dave Michelson

Old February 21st 04, 05:26 PM
Pat Flannery

Charlie A. wrote:

What Can I do NOW to help SAVE Hubble Space Telescope?
The best way to get your voice heard is in chorus with others, as a
group we can make sure the Hubble Space Telescope will be maintained
for the "Worlds" benefit.

I can see for Earth's benefit; but what other "Worlds" benefit from Hubble?

NASA has said that the telescope is too
"risky" to maintain, but at the same time they support sending
astronauts to Mars as their current and past "robotic" missions are
repeatedly having serious technical problems.

I wouldn't consider the two rovers to be doing at all bad; I was frankly
amazed that they both got down in one piece, and am having a field day
checking up on what they are doing on a day-to-day basis, which is more
than I did for most Shuttle missions, and in regards to the ISS, I feel
a peek at what's going on can be done each month without missing much of
interest. Considering that the whole MER program cost about as much as
around one and a half Shuttle missions; I'd say we got a far better deal
for our money than we got on the vast majority of Shuttle flights,
barring some goodies such as Hubble, Galileo, ... and other "robotic"
missions...which Hubble itself is if you think about it. There isn't
anybody on the thing except when it's being serviced.

We're starting a GLOBAL petition that will take the voices of people
from all over the world and send them to the US Congress to pass a
resolution to allow the Hubble to provide imagery until the mission is
complete in 2011. At that time, its expected that a new telescope
will replace Hubble.

And I assume that all further funding for such missions comes from the
United Nations? If the whole world reaps the benefits, then the whole
world can pony up the cash for it.

Pat

Old February 22nd 04, 01:45 AM
Allen Thomson

"Terrell Miller" wrote

this may be urban myth, but a long time ago I read that part of
the "Saber Dance" thing was because a specific old-timer at the
McDonnell plant was supposed to be installing nuts upside down
for some reason,

That kind of thing happens. In a certain place and a certain time,
there was a cryptosystem that was very good, unbreakable when set
up right and used properly. Unfortunately, there was a non-obvious,
seemingly correct way to set it up wrong which caused the key
generator to collapse to a much, much shorter repetition interval
than it was designed for (ISTR that was called a "depth" condition).

In that certain place and time, there was a certain senior,
experienced NCO who happened to have gotten into the habit of
setting it up wrong. So senior and respected was he, that he got
assigned to instructing new cyptofolk in the arcana of setting up
the system...
Old February 22nd 04, 04:10 AM
Dave C

the story of the bolt being installed upside down is told in Chuck Yeager's
autobiography, page 234. It's a good read, a lot of good stories about the
early days of jet aviation.

. ..

Old February 22nd 04, 11:19 AM
Neil Gerace

"Dave C" wrote in message
the story of the bolt being installed upside down is told in Chuck

Yeager's
autobiography, page 234. It's a good read, a lot of good stories about the
early days of jet aviation.

Didn't they happen in Britain and Germany

Old February 22nd 04, 06:24 PM
Sander Vesik

G EddieA95 wrote:
We're starting a GLOBAL petition that will take the voices of people
from all over the world and send them to the US Congress

"The world" doesn't vote in this country. Sorry.

It does indirectly via media coverage.

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++