Cloned Neanderthals in the offing?

Old January 22nd 13, 04:36 PM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro.seti,sci.bio.misc,sci.astro,sci.anthropology.paleo
Robert Clark

Default Cloned Neanderthals in the offing?

A report from the German magazine Der Spiegel came out Monday that a
Harvard geneticist wanted to clone a Neanderthal:

Palaeolithic Park? Harvard professor seeks 'adventurous' woman to give
birth to baby Neanderthal.
Professor George Church plans to bring our long-extinct relative back
to life using artificial DNA.
John Hall, Monday 21 January 2013
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...l-8460273.html

However, he now says he only believes this is a topic that should be
now discussed:

I'm no Dr Moreau! Harvard professor says he is NOT looking for a woman
to give birth to a Neanderthal, blaming reports on a poor translation.
Professor George Church denies planning to bring our long-extinct
relative back to life using artificial DNA
John Hall, Tuesday 22 January 2013
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...n-8461707.html

Bob Clark

c.f.,

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.science, sci.astro.seti, sci.bio.misc,
sci.astro, sci.anthropology.paleo
From: Robert Clark
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 09:23:05 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Cloned mammoth in the offing. Perhaps Neanderthals next.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...60f7c0afa2c75?

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.science, sci.astro.seti, sci.bio.misc,
sci.astro, sci.anthropology.paleo
From: Robert Clark
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 08:49:32 -0800 (PST)
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...f19f5e892097ea
Old January 22nd 13, 06:03 PM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro.seti,sci.bio.misc,sci.astro,sci.anthropology.paleo
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway[_6_]

"Robert Clark" wrote in message

A report from the German magazine Der Spiegel came out Monday that a
Harvard geneticist wanted to clone a Neanderthal:
Been done, there are many specimens of homo neanderthalensis writing to
USENET every day with only a few homo sapiens sapiens responding.

-- This message is brought to you from the keyboard of
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway.
When I get my O.B.E. I'll be an earlobe.

Old January 22nd 13, 06:40 PM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro.seti,sci.bio.misc,sci.astro,sci.anthropology.paleo
[email protected]

On Jan 22, 8:36*am, Robert Clark wrote:
*A report from the German magazine Der Spiegel came out Monday that a
Harvard geneticist wanted to clone a Neanderthal:

Palaeolithic Park? Harvard professor seeks 'adventurous' woman to give
birth to baby Neanderthal.
Professor George Church plans to bring our long-extinct relative back
to life using artificial DNA.
John Hall, Monday 21 January 2013

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...park-harvard-p...

****ing paywalls.

Try the Boston Herald:

http://tinyurl.com/b7rdy4c

It'd probably wind up an Ugly Little Boy...

Mark L. Fergerson
Old January 24th 13, 02:51 PM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro.seti,sci.bio.misc,sci.astro,sci.anthropology.paleo
Robert Clark

John Hall, Monday 21 January 2013http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/palaeolithic-park-harvard-p...

However, he now says he only believes this is a topic that should be
now discussed:

I'm no Dr Moreau! Harvard professor says he is NOT looking for a woman
to give birth to a Neanderthal, blaming reports on a poor translation.
Professor George Church denies planning to bring our long-extinct
relative back to life using artificial DNA
John Hall, Tuesday 22 January 2013http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/im-no-dr-moreau-harvard-pro...

Bob Clark

c.f.,

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.science, sci.astro.seti, sci.bio.misc,
sci.astro, sci.anthropology.paleo
From: Robert Clark
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 09:23:05 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Cloned mammoth in the offing. Perhaps Neanderthals next.http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...se_frm/thread/...

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.science, sci.astro.seti, sci.bio.misc,
sci.astro, sci.anthropology.paleo
From: Robert Clark
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 08:49:32 -0800 (PST)

Here's the original interview in Der Spiegel:

Interview with George Church: Can Neanderthals Be Brought Back from
the Dead?
January 18, 2013 – 07:41 PM
http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-877634.html

You can see he doesn't say he intends to perform this cloning. But
reading between the lines you can deduce he favors it being performed.

His book mentioned is he

Regenesis: How Synthetic Biology Will Reinvent Nature and Ourselves
[Hardcover]
George M. Church (Author), Ed Regis (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Regenesis-Synt...=george+church

Bob Clark