History of August's eclipse?

Old July 24th 17, 05:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Default History of August's eclipse?

Davoud:
It was Ptolemy. And when he calculated the 2024 eclipse and found that
the two paths would intersect in southern Illinois he named the
crossing point "Koilada Anthraka" after his summer retreat in
Macedonia. That was translated as "Carbondale" when English-speaking
peoples settled in Illinois.

Chris L Peterson:
You are mistaken. I know for a fact that Ptolemy's summer retreat was
a hidden chamber inside the Great Pyramid.

David:
You forget that I lived a stone's throw from the Pyramids at Giza for
four years. Believe me, nobody wants a summer home there.

Chris L Peterson:
I recall it being rather cool inside the pyramid chambers. But in any
case, did you live in Egypt two millennia ago? Because the simple
extrapolation backwards of our climatic trend makes it clear that the
entire area was underneath ice at the time.

That's unproven. And it's circular reasoning, as I am the one who first
devised that hypothesis in my paper "Was Moses an Ice Skater?" Search
arXiv.

As for when I lived in Egypt, I am not at liberty to divulge that.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old July 25th 17, 05:13 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

There are two things associated with the Egyptians that lie in ruins, the Great Pyramid and the destruction of its facing stones along with the destruction of specific references for timekeeping which make predictive astronomy possible.

Some of the great astronomical insights survive from remote antiquity like scattered leaves and those who encounter them lovingly are astonished by the style and class involved, for instance, the observation that the star Sirius skips a seasonal appearance by one day/rotation after every fourth cycle remains a phenomenal act of observation. Unlike the Greeks who used the motion of the Sun through the Zodiac for predictive astronomy, the astronomers further back in history considered the grouping of stars coming in season such as the hapax legomenon description of Mazzaroth and the main objectives of astronomers in linking motions with effects and experiences on the surface of the Earth -

"Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion? Canst thou bring forth Mazzaroth in his season? or canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons? Knowest thou the ordinances of heaven? canst thou set the dominion thereof in the earth?" Book Of Job

People who mock ancient achievements have buried their spirit in a shell of worthless trivia and theoretical speculation and considering we are the only era to believe we can control the planet's temperature or indeed time itself by doing or not doing something, I would say something has to give.

Old July 25th 17, 05:22 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 21:13:23 -0700 (PDT), Gerald Kelleher
wrote:

People who mock ancient achievements...

You are the only person I've seen around here who mocks ancient
achievements.
Old July 25th 17, 06:22 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

wrote:

People who mock ancient achievements...

You are the only person I've seen around here who mocks ancient
achievements.

Predictive astronomy is based on the calendar system and the first written description of the references used involve the annual appearance of a single star and that this star skips a first annual appearance by one day after four cycles of 365 days -

".. on account of the procession of the rising of Sirius by one day in the course of 4 years,.. therefore it shall be, that the year of 360 days and the 5 days added to their end, so one day shall be from this day after every 4 years added to the 5 epagomenae before the new year" Canopus Decree 238 BC

In 21st century observational terms it means that the annual appearance of this star is referenced to the central Sun and the orbital motion of the Earth -

http://www.zam.fme.vutbr.cz/~druck/e...Tse1997uw2.png

The solar eclipse event suspends the normal restrictions which partition the location of stars as dawn and twilight appearances and to the left and right of the Sun respectively and that is why you are deficient in appreciating the relationship between the orbital motion of the Earth, the central Sun and the transition of the stars from left to right of the Sun parallel with the orbital motion of the Earth.

You could look at that eclipse image all day long and not link it to the observation made in remote antiquity made over four annual orbital cycles using the 1461 days/rotations as a gauge. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and how often have I been mocked on the basic proportion between orbital cycles and rotations necessary for both interpretative astronomy and separately predictive astronomy.

I have largely stopped dealing with the whack-a-mole contributors like yourself who disappear just as quick as you stick your head up.

Old July 26th 17, 07:32 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Monday, 24 July 2017 12:03:26 UTC-4, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 11:44:43 -0400, Davoud wrote:

Davoud:
It was Ptolemy. And when he calculated the 2024 eclipse and found that
the two paths would intersect in southern Illinois he named the
crossing point "Koilada Anthraka" after his summer retreat in
Macedonia. That was translated as "Carbondale" when English-speaking
peoples settled in Illinois.

Chris L Peterson:
You are mistaken. I know for a fact that Ptolemy's summer retreat was
a hidden chamber inside the Great Pyramid.

You forget that I lived a stone's throw from the Pyramids at Giza for
four years. Believe me, nobody wants a summer home there.

I recall it being rather cool inside the pyramid chambers. But in any
case, did you live in Egypt two millennia ago? Because the simple
extrapolation backwards of our climatic trend makes it clear that the
entire area was underneath ice at the time.

Only in the alternate universe populated by psychotic global warmers.