The theory of gravity

Old July 9th 17, 06:11 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default The theory of gravity

On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 09:31:29 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
wrote:

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 10:18:47 AM UTC-6, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

Normally a person would be driven insane in trying to square
supporting relativity with Newton's idiosyncratic
absolute/relative time (Equation of Time)

Moving from taking sundial time uncritically to regarding
mechanical clock time as primary... was a very important step to
take.

Or now, to a reference derived from fundamental natural law (as
opposed to the indirect application of natural law in the behavior of
mechanical systems).

Quantum Mechanics, after all, is much worse. But we have no right
to assume the world is going to be as easy to understand as we
would like.

It's not necessarily harder to understand, it merely works in a way
which is contrary to our intuition (which is the product of evolution
in a non-quantum environment).
Old July 9th 17, 06:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

wrote:

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 10:18:47 AM UTC-6, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

Normally a person would be driven insane in trying to square
supporting relativity with Newton's idiosyncratic
absolute/relative time (Equation of Time)

Moving from taking sundial time uncritically to regarding
mechanical clock time as primary... was a very important step to
take.

Or now, to a reference derived from fundamental natural law (as
opposed to the indirect application of natural law in the behavior of
mechanical systems).

You don't know how or why Newton tried to apply the Equation of Time to astronomy and observations do you ?. I'll even give you a clue from Huygen's expression of the Equation of Time -

"Here take notice, that the Sun or the Earth passeth the 12. Signes,
or makes an entire revolution in the Ecliptick in 365 days, 5 hours 49
min. or there about, and that those days, reckon'd from noon to noon,
are of different lenghts; as is known to all that are vers'd in
Astronomy. Now between the longest and the shortest of those days, a
day may be taken of such a length, as 365 such days, 5. hours &c. (the
same numbers as before) make up, or are equall to that revolution: And
this is call'd the Equal or Mean day, according to which the Watches
are to be set; and therefore the Hour or Minute shew'd by the Watches,
though they be perfectly Iust and equal, must needs differ almost
continually from those that are shew'd by the Sun, or are reckon'd
according to its Motion. But this Difference is regular, and is
otherwise call'd the Aequation.." Huygens

There is not a chance you can see why Huygen's explanation has to be modified for practical reasons but then again you are no astronomer.

The only achievements these days is knowing what actually went wrong whereas leaving the vacuous to drone on about nothing, who knows, some may even like what has been done through my research as a sign of maturity.

Old July 11th 17, 11:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy[_2_]

Gerald Kelleher wrote in
:

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 5:31:33 PM UTC+1, Quadibloc wrote:

You are willing to affirm that absolute/relative time of Newton
is the Equation of Time so now you know more than Mach who
couldn't understand Newton wasn't defining time but dithering
around a timekeeping facility -

I'm willing to affirm that you are dumber than a bag of hammers.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Old July 12th 17, 09:04 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown[_3_]

On 11/07/2017 23:44, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
Gerald Kelleher wrote in
:

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 5:31:33 PM UTC+1, Quadibloc wrote:

You are willing to affirm that absolute/relative time of Newton
is the Equation of Time so now you know more than Mach who
couldn't understand Newton wasn't defining time but dithering
around a timekeeping facility -

I'm willing to affirm that you are dumber than a bag of hammers.

Comparison with two short planks would be insulting to the planks.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old July 12th 17, 10:31 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Wonderful to be able to see deal with what Newton was attempting as opposed to his hapless followers and their slogan chanting who know nothing of his scheme. Barking in my direction is about as troublesome as a breeze is to a mountain, all the same, it would be amazing to encounter individuals who can take pride in their ability to reason.

Condensing Huygen's less than accurate description of the Equation of Time and its links to orbital dynamics holds the clue as to where Sir Isaac is getting his idea that geocentric observations of the planets using the background stars as a gauge transfer directly into heliocentric modelling -

"Here take notice, that the Sun or the Earth passeth the 12. Signes,
or makes an entire revolution in the Ecliptick in 365 days, 5 hours 49
min. or there about, and that those days, reckon'd from noon to noon,
are of different lenghts; as is known to all that are vers'd in
Astronomy. Now between the longest and the shortest of those days, a
day may be taken of such a length, as 365 such days, 5. hours &c. (the
same numbers as before) make up, or are equall to that revolution: And
this is call'd the Equal or Mean day" Huygens

The Equation of Time can't be expressed within an orbit of 365 days 5 hours 49 minutes by virtue of the fact that February 29th has both a natural noon cycle and a 24 hour cycle by which the timekeeping equation is applied. In short, the EoT is an outrigger of the calendar framework and discontinuous at that insofar as the Earth doesn't arrived back at the exat same point in space after a full calendar cycle.

Of course the followers of Sir Isaac still have no idea how this factors into the mess created at the expense of astronomy.

Old July 12th 17, 01:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 10:04:42 UTC+2, Martin Brown wrote:
On 11/07/2017 23:44, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:

I'm willing to affirm that you are dumber than a bag of hammers.

Comparison with two short planks would be insulting to the planks.

Not to mention his attention span of a gnat smacked between two of the latter.

Does 1461's brand new fan ride a Moto-Gutless with sissy bars?
[Sorry to go off topic, but I had to ask.] ;-)
Old July 12th 17, 05:33 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy[_2_]

Martin Brown wrote in newsk4l6m
:

On 11/07/2017 23:44, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
Gerald Kelleher wrote in
:

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 5:31:33 PM UTC+1, Quadibloc wrote:

You are willing to affirm that absolute/relative time of Newton
is the Equation of Time so now you know more than Mach who
couldn't understand Newton wasn't defining time but dithering
around a timekeeping facility -

I'm willing to affirm that you are dumber than a bag of hammers.

Comparison with two short planks would be insulting to the planks.

I agree.

But he does seem to be just barely smart enough to come play with me.
It's like he knows who his betters are.

Old July 12th 17, 05:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 5:33:49 PM UTC+1, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:

But he does seem to be just barely smart enough to come play with me.
It's like he knows who his betters are.

To be fair to you as a newbie and a screaming head, I don't entertain mediocrity so scream away as I don't take a blind bit of notice as others have discovered. Every now and again this forum accepts refugees.
Old July 12th 17, 07:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy[_2_]

Gerald Kelleher wrote in
:

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 5:33:49 PM UTC+1, Gutless
Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:

But he does seem to be just barely smart enough to come play
with me. It's like he knows who his betters are.

To be fair to you as a newbie and a screaming head,

I've been on usenet longer than you've been alive, child.

I don't
entertain mediocrity so scream away as I don't take a blind bit
of notice as others have discovered. Every now and again this
forum accepts refugees.

And yet, you replied, as instructed, and will continue to do so until
I allow you to stop.

Now dance, little monkey, dance.

Old July 12th 17, 07:49 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 7:20:25 PM UTC+1, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
Gerald Kelleher wrote in
:

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 5:33:49 PM UTC+1, Gutless
Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:

But he does seem to be just barely smart enough to come play
with me. It's like he knows who his betters are.

To be fair to you as a newbie and a screaming head,

I've been on usenet longer than you've been alive, child.

I don't
entertain mediocrity so scream away as I don't take a blind bit
of notice as others have discovered. Every now and again this
forum accepts refugees.

And yet, you replied, as instructed, and will continue to do so until
I allow you to stop.

Now dance, little monkey, dance.

--
Terry Austin

I am sure over in the science fiction forum you have made a name for yourself as Mongo but the others here will tell you that you are just another screaming head among many that show up every now and again.

At least newbies come in with all guns blazing and fade back into the oblivion but you haven't even managed to say anything and possibly are like many hen pecked warriors here.

Good luck to you in your endeavor.