1st Mars Colonists Should Be 'Prepared to Die,' Elon Musk Says

Old October 2nd 16, 05:18 AM posted to rec.arts.sf.written,sci.physics,sci.space.tech
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Default 1st Mars Colonists Should Be 'Prepared to Die,' Elon Musk Says

Scott Lurndal wrote:

Serigo writes:
On 9/30/2016 9:22 PM, Cryptoengineer wrote:
http://www.spacex.com/mars

that presentation does not have serious depth of thought in it,

I think it did. The talk did not cover all aspects of an interplanetary
civilization, just the transportation to and the basic requirements for a
self-sustaining colony on Mars; look how long it took to talk about that in
great detail alone. But I bet SpaceX is working on the other aspects, too.

it is a marketing pitch to capture government funds which float and pay
for his other companies, Tesla and SolarCity.

Nonsense. FUD.

It does not address RADIATION at all,

Musk addresses the radiation issue in the Q&A section after the talk.
Basically he says that it is not a problem with a little shielding.

nor food, nor water,

That is not SpaceX’s main department, but that of other players.

NASA is already working on self-sustaining environments. For example, the
air conditioning and sanitation systems on the ISS is amazing, there are
chemical toilets on the planet already (the “Burning Man” guy asking about
the prospect of “****ty Mars” in the Q&A section obviously did not know
that), and they are successfully growing “space salad” on the ISS:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/space/11795131/Astronauts-declare-first-space-salad-awesome.html

nor how to wash clothes in space.

Really, who needs clothes in a climate controlled spacecraft?

A climate-controlled spacecraft that could be punctured by a micrometeorite
any moment. Besides, astronauts/passengers are people, too, with a natural
pudency.

Washing clothes: As e.g. NASA astronaut Karen Nyberg, and CSA astronaut
Chris Hadfield demonstrated in a video, respectively, astronauts can wash
their hair and brush their teeth in microgravity with little effort. [1][2]
I can see no great difficulty washing clothes in space in a washing machine
designed for microgravity once you have it there (I think the main problem
is designing it and bringing it there). Only maybe more of the precious
water can be saved by developing alternative washing techniques; AIUI from
my practice, for washing clothes the clothes only have to soak up water,
then the washing agent has to dissolve in the water to get the dirt and
sweat out of the threads, and then the soapy, dirty water has to be removed.
Certainly this can be done in space. But probably the best way to solve
this problem would be using special threads in the clothes that cannot get
dirty or sweaty in the first place. [3]

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIjNfZbUYu8
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bCoGC532p8
[3] https://www.thethreadsmiths.com/
https://youtu.be/rSM2eUDm-84

X-Post & F'up2 sci.space.tech

--
PointedEars

Twitter: @PointedEars2

======================================= MODERATOR'S COMMENT:
As long as we focus on tech, we're fine here. -GDM

Old October 3rd 16, 02:45 AM posted to sci.space.tech
Serigo

On 10/1/2016 11:18 PM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
Scott Lurndal wrote:

Serigo writes:
On 9/30/2016 9:22 PM, Cryptoengineer wrote:
http://www.spacex.com/mars
that presentation does not have serious depth of thought in it,

I think it did. The talk did not cover all aspects of an
interplanetary civilization, just the transportation to and the basic
requirements for a self-sustaining colony on Mars; look how long it
took to talk about that in great detail alone. But I bet SpaceX is
working on the other aspects, too.

If they had worked on the other aspects, they would not be presuing it,
unless they are going after Gov R&D dollars, our tax dollars.

it is a marketing pitch to capture government funds which float
and pay for his other companies, Tesla and SolarCity.

Nonsense. FUD.

wrong, Musk runs those two companies on Government funding, and they are
both in the red. Try to keep up.

It does not address RADIATION at all,

Musk addresses the radiation issue in the Q&A section after the
talk. Basically he says that it is not a problem with a little
shielding.

Wrong, you can only use 18 feet of water surrounding the astronoughts.,
this is well known.

Lead ? how many pounds ? and what about secondary radiation from the Lead?

nor food, nor water,

That is not SpaceX’s main department, but that of other players

NASA is already working on self-sustaining environments. For
example, the air conditioning and sanitation systems on the ISS is
amazing, there are chemical toilets on the planet already (the
“Burning Man” guy asking about the prospect of “****ty Mars” in the
Q&A section obviously did not know that), and they are successfully
growing “space salad” on the ISS:

enough salad for one byte a month ?

nor how to wash clothes in space.

Really, who needs clothes in a climate controlled spacecraft?

A climate-controlled spacecraft that could be punctured by a
micrometeorite any moment. Besides, astronauts/passengers are
people, too, with a natural pudency.

Washing clothes: As e.g. NASA astronaut Karen Nyberg, and CSA
astronaut Chris Hadfield demonstrated in a video, respectively,
astronauts can wash their hair and brush their teeth in microgravity
with little effort.

the reason was to minimize the seriousiness of the problem of washing
clothes in space. they do not do it now for many reasons.

[1][2] I can see no great difficulty washing
clothes in space in a washing machine designed for microgravity once
you have it there (I think the main problem is designing it and
bringing it there).

so you have soap, water, agitator, that part is easy.

Now seperate the water from the dirt, the soap, and clothes. (think
about this) how much energy does it take?
can you seperate the dirt from the soap, what gets discarded ?

Only maybe more of the precious water can be
saved by developing alternative washing techniques; AIUI from my
practice, for washing clothes the clothes only have to soak up water,
then the washing agent has to dissolve in the water to get the dirt
and sweat out of the threads, and then the soapy, dirty water has to
be removed. Certainly this can be done in space.

instead of skipping the details, list it on out...

did you know ISS all the clothes are washed on Earth, new clothes are
shuttled up.

But probably the
best way to solve this problem would be using special threads in the
clothes that cannot get dirty or sweaty in the first place. [3]

but that is what the clothes are there for, to capture that stuff.