Live HD from the ISS

Old November 16th 06, 07:05 PM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Heil

Default Live HD from the ISS

Anyone else catch this on DiscoveryHD yesterday? It was pretty damn
dissapointing! The program was 1/2 hour, and the first 10 minutes was the
'anchor' of the show talking about tv from space or something. Then they hooked
up for the live HD downlink. For a good portion of the downlink, they showed a
small inset of either the talking-head yapping at us or pre-recorded standard
def downlink from NasaTV (earth orbit type stuff). Meanwhile there is this
shrunken inset of the HD signal with LA happily floating and chatting with us.
Why oh frigging why would you talk up HD from space and then spend any portion
of the program not full screen/full res HD?!
Sheesh - I though Discovery would do a better job than that.

Plus they had this whole goofy 'set' for the 'Discovery Channel' Live Events
Control Room like it was a FCR at JSC.

They should have spent some money on a better HD camera to send up to ISS
instead of the 'production values' on the ground. The camera had a pretty high
number of failed pixels. I suppose this is radiation induced damage on the
CCD.

--
Brian Heil | Stay Alert! | Technology Services
Systems Administrator/Programmer | Trust No One! | University of Iowa
Old November 17th 06, 05:15 PM posted to sci.space.station
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Brian Heil wrote in
:

Anyone else catch this on DiscoveryHD yesterday? It was pretty damn
dissapointing!

Eh. Mostly harmless.

What really caught my attention was the quality of the audio, quite
unlike the usual vox mics usually used.

If anyone has a HD copy of the show, post it over in alt.binaries.tv
or someplace.

Old November 17th 06, 09:17 PM posted to sci.space.station
Derek Lyons

Brian Heil wrote:

Sheesh - I though Discovery would do a better job than that.

What on earth would lead you to believe that a channel filled on a
daily basis with banal and poorly produced crap would rise above that?

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL