Sky Charts catalogue help

Old September 26th 03, 08:27 PM
Ian Neill

Default Sky Charts catalogue help

Hi there,

I am currently learning my way around Carts du Ceil (v2.75)...

I have a number of star cataloges installed, but have discovered that they
do not overlap well - I enjoy double stars and found more than I was
expecting!

I have tracked (I think) the problem to that of the same stars having very
slightly differing co-ordinates in the different catalogues, thus lots of
stars have "ghosts". If I start eliminating catalogues, the ghost stars
disappear, but then so does the similarity to what I see.

What/where is the best catalogue to use? All I want (ha!) is accuracy down
to around mag 12 (I have an ETX90) with common names like Albireo/beta
Cygni. The Tycho 2 catalogue seems to have the accuracy, but not the names,
wheras the Bright star cat has the names...

Any advise on actalogues, or have I missed something?

Ian Neill

Old September 27th 03, 01:48 AM
OG

"Ian Neill" wrote in message
Hi there,

I am currently learning my way around Carts du Ceil (v2.75)...
What/where is the best catalogue to use? All I want (ha!) is accuracy down
to around mag 12 (I have an ETX90) with common names like Albireo/beta
Cygni. The Tycho 2 catalogue seems to have the accuracy, but not the

names,
wheras the Bright star cat has the names...

Any advise on actalogues, or have I missed something?

Have you found about the CdC group on Yahoo at

Patrick is more than happy to answer queries in this group.