Different forms of astronomy

Old June 25th 17, 11:06 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default Different forms of astronomy

It does not, by any means,need a stretch of the imagination to adjust to a 21st century version of astronomy which offers new and better tools to enjoy the celestial arena its changes for all sorts of ends - from cause and effect within terrestrial science, from deriving solar system structure, for using planetary traits of other planes and apply them to geology and climate research but especially the links between ourselves as individuals and the larger Universe that encompasses us.

At the time of Kepler where magnification and a mechanical clockwork RA/Dec system didn't exist, his view of astronomy would have been understandably different -

"To set down in books the apparent paths of the planets and the record of their motions is especially the task of the practical and mechanical part of astronomy; to discover their true and genuine path is . . .the task of contemplative astronomy; while to say by what circle and lines correct images of those true motions may be depicted on paper is the concern of the inferior tribunal of geometers" Kepler

There was a brief period when the great Galileo meshed observation with 'contemplative astronomy' and came up with exciting insights but with the introduction of the equatorial coordinate system, astronomy became an identification exercise with a heavy reliant on equipment and with the loss of insightful astronomy due to a celestial sphere framework, astronomy became a cataloguing exercise where it remains to this day. In research the moon and the eclipse I came across a fair description that many here would identify with -

"I have several distinct modes as a stargazer. Sometimes I’m in exploration mode and I want to see and log new objects. Sometimes I’m in gear mode and I want to see how a given piece of equipment performs. Sometimes I’m in aesthetic mode and I just want to look at beautiful things. Sometimes I do all three in one night, or even looking at one object..

The last post, about current and future observing projects, was written in exploration mode. “Exploration” might seem like an odd word to apply to the activity of tracking down lists of things compiled by other observers. But if I haven’t seen them myself, then there is still the thrill of the hunt and the rush of discovery. And looking at all of these things is how I personally transmute caelum incognitum into known space.. That’s exploration in my book."
Celestial sphere enthusiast

The new astronomy is different as it expands more fully on what Galileo was achieving but the tools such as time lapse, sequential imaging and more powerful magnification are now more available as are the transmission of this new astronomy. It is possible to pick and choose imaging to create a narrative while those who merely restrict themselves to identification are lost in this matter as many years have taught me within this forum.

Old June 27th 17, 08:42 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

The great astronomical quandary Western society found itself in with the emergence of a sun centred system and a moving Earth was whether the antecedent system for predicting events like eclipses could also be used to prove the Earth orbits the Sun while rotating as it does so. Without a resolution to this question it is impossible for astronomy to evolve in a productive and creative way notwithstanding that the answer is fairly straightforward and simple.

All predictions, including the upcoming eclipse, are made within the calendar framework and this means that while one weekday does equate to one rotation, one year does not equate to one orbit for the obvious reasons that the calendar is formatted in three years of 365 rotations for one yearly cycle and one year of 366 rotations. The whole thing was compounded further by the emergence of the celestial sphere reckoning beloved of theorists and magnification hobbyists.

http://www.zam.fme.vutbr.cz/~druck/e...Tse1997uw2.png

The tantalizing image of Venus and Mercury in relation to the central and stationary Sun (at least for a solar system perspective of the matter) and a slower moving Earth would be an example where astronomy should evolve. It also contains images of the background stars which transition from left of the Sun to right as proof of the Earth's motion thereby setting the Sun up as a central reference for the looping circuits of the two inner planets.

The partitioning of perspectives between the inner and outer planets plays a huge role in the adoption of the enjoyable evolution of astronomy using new means to express narratives with varying degrees of simplicity or complexity.