ASTRO: II Hz 4 A double empty ring galaxy

Old March 29th 12, 05:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: II Hz 4 A double empty ring galaxy

II Hz 4 is a double empty ring galaxy. The second ring apparently is
due to II Hz 4:[RMV2008] R2. They are located in southern Lynx about
590 million light-years away. The core of II Hz 4 is well off center.
The second ring appears part of the companion I Hz 4:[RMV2008] R2 to the
north. It has a rather normal looking disk shape with core and eastern
side. Western side can't be seen. It has apparently been drawn into
the faint ring that loops up and around. A nasty "bright" star makes
seeing all this difficult as it casts a glare over the faint ring. Red
shifts of both are virtually the same making it quite likely these are
an interacting pair.

As you will see in the annotated image, these two are pretty much alone
in their spot of the universe. I found no other galaxies within a
couple hundred million light years of them in my frame. Odd how two
such galaxies managed to collide so violently with all that space to
roam around in. None of the papers on these two addressed this issue.

There are several galaxy clusters in the image. Each is anchored by a
Bright Cluster Galaxy (BrClG). I've noted the position of the anchor
galaxy and its distance. They contain from 10 to 12 galaxies in an
unknown radius. Oddly the cluster distance is slightly different than
that of the anchoring galaxy. The difference was small so rather than
clutter the annotated image I just used that of the anchor galaxy.

These appear to be part of a much larger cluster ZwCl 0856.6+3710. It
is said to have a diameter of 19 minutes (almost the height of my image
which is 22.5 minutes) so it covers a major part of the left side of the
frame. It is listed as having 104 members but no distance or even
distance class. Likely this is because it is just indicating this is a
rich part of the sky for distant galaxies rather than they are all
gravitationally bound to one center of mass. I've indicated the center
position even though there's nothing at that location either in NED or
my image.

The image contains several quasars out beyond 10 billion light years.
When quasars were first discovered they were almost all blue. Thus they
were called blue quasi stellar objects. The hunt was on looking for
very blue stars in hopes one was another blue quasi stellar object.
After a while it was seen many were not blue and the search needed to be
extended. Then they were just quasi stellar objects which was shortened
to QSO or quasar. Quasar also became a TV brand of Motorola solid state
TV's during the switch from tube sets. It was later sold to Matsu****a
(Panasonic) and renamed Quasar Electronics Incorporated. But I digress.
In my images some quasars are blue while others are white or even
reddish. This is the first one I can recall that all are blue, even the
very distant ones. Just a statistical fluke I find fascinating.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IIHZ4L4X10RGB2X10X3R.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	378.4 KB
ID:	4019  Click image for larger version

Name:	IIHZ4L4X10RGB2X10X3R-ID.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	4020  Click image for larger version

Name:	IIHZ4L4X10RGB2X10X3R_CROP150.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	4021
Old April 23rd 12, 09:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

I really like those ring galaxies. It amazes me that amateurs can show them
that well.

Stefan

. com...