Gerard 't Hooft says black holes and singularities can't really exist!

Old September 23rd 09, 06:04 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default Gerard 't Hooft says black holes and singularities can't really exist!

Nobel prize winner, Gerard 't Hooft, says his new theory will do away
with black holes and singularities, and replace them with scaling symmetry.

Yousuf Khan

Technology Review: Blogs: arXiv blog: Black Holes Cannot Exist in Latest
Theory of Quantum Gravity
"One of the great challenges of modern science is to unite our thinking
about the universe on the largest scale with our notions of how it works
on the smallest; in other words to combine relativity and quantum
mechanics into a single theory.

The current best effort is a notion called string theory, an idea born
of quantum thinking and in which gravity is a byproduct of complexity, a
so-called emergent phenomenon.

The trouble with with this process of emergence is that it pays mere lip
service to our intuitive ideas about causality: that an affect must be
preceded by its cause. At least, that's how the Nobel prize winning
physicist Gerard 't Hooft sees things."
http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/24143/
Old September 23rd 09, 06:06 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Yousuf Khan wrote:
Nobel prize winner, Gerard 't Hooft, says his new theory will do away
with black holes and singularities, and replace them with scaling symmetry.

Yousuf Khan

Here's another link:

Black Holes Shouldn't Exist - The idea belongs to a Nobel-winning expert
- Softpedia
"Hooft also introduces the idea of “black hole complementarity,” which
essentially states that an independent observer, located inside a black
hole, views the Universe significantly different from an observer
outside the black hole. “If we add these to our set of symmetry
transformations, black holes, space-time singularities, and horizons
disappear,” the physicist says. He admits, however, that there are still
some modifications to be made on his theory. The expert says that the
constant G (gravity) Newton proposed is not scale-invariant, meaning its
effects are different depending on scale."
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Black...t-122333.shtml
Old September 24th 09, 02:18 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Robert L. Oldershaw

On Sep 23, 1:06*am, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote:
Nobel prize winner, Gerard 't Hooft, says his new theory will do away
with black holes and singularities, and replace them with scaling symmetry.

Paper is: http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/...909.3426v1.pdf

As above, so below!

RLO
Old September 24th 09, 07:02 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Juan R. González-Álvarez

Yousuf Khan wrote on Wed, 23 Sep 2009 01:04:46 -0400:

[...]

He is rather right.

However, black holes and singularities are already ruled out at
the classical level. General Relativity is a geometric theory that fails to
correctly incorporate the energy of the gravitational field associated to
the underlying gravitons.

When one correctly introduces that energy (well-defined positive EMT) in a
physical theory of gravity, the singularities and the associated horizons
vanish.

--
http://www.canonicalscience.org/

BLOG:
http://www.canonicalscience.org/en/p...encetoday.html
Old September 25th 09, 02:48 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
YKhan

On Sep 23, 9:48*pm, Sam Wormley wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote:
Nobel prize winner, Gerard 't Hooft, says his new theory will do away
with black holes and singularities, and replace them with scaling symmetry.

* * Yousuf Khan

* *What makes you think Gerard ’t Hooft said that black holes don't exist?
* * *http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/...909.3426v1.pdf

That's what it says in the articles.

Yousuf Khan
Old September 25th 09, 03:18 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
john

Yousuf Khan wrote:
Nobel prize winner, Gerard 't Hooft, says his new theory will do away
with black holes and singularities, and replace them with scaling symmetry.

Paper is:http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/...909.3426v1.pdf

As above, so below!

RLO

Exactly.
Galaxies are atoms. Their discs regularly
sweep through a spherical volume (galactic
halos show this as well as tell-tale warping
of their discs).
Galactic arms ar the same as electrons.
This means electrons radiate.
This means at any one instant an atom
is a disc. Flat.

This means atoms contain intelligent life.

This means, to the intelligent life residing
in the gazillions of Carbon atoms
inside you- you are a Very Important Person.
(And they probably call you God.)

john
galaxy model for the atom
http://users.accesscomm.ca/john
Old September 25th 09, 03:53 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Juan R. González-Álvarez

Yousuf Khan wrote:
Nobel prize winner, Gerard 't Hooft, says his new theory will do away
with black holes and singularities, and replace them with scaling
symmetry.
Yousuf Khan
What makes you think Gerard ’t Hooft said that black holes don't
exist?
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/...909.3426v1.pdf

That's what it says in the articles.

Yousuf Khan

Can you quote the sentence where he says that black holes don't
exist?

From the abstract of above pdf:

If we add these to our set of symmetry transformations, black holes,
space-time singularities, and horizons disappear, while causality and
locality may survive as important principles for quantum gravity.

"Black holes dissapear" is the same than "black holes cannot exist" when
we look at details :-D

Old September 25th 09, 11:05 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
YKhan

On Sep 25, 10:53*am, "Juan R." González-Álvarez
wrote:
Sam Wormley wrote on Fri, 25 Sep 2009 03:34:42 +0000:
* *Can you quote the sentence where he says that black holes don't
* *exist?

From the abstract of above pdf:

* *If we add these to our set of symmetry transformations, black holes,
* *space-time singularities, and horizons disappear, while causality and
* *locality may survive as important principles for quantum gravity.

"Black holes dissapear" is the same than "black holes cannot exist" when
we look at details :-D

Okay, if black hole event horizons disappear, then what is it that
we're seeing in the centers of galaxies, and some dead stars?

Yousuf Khan
Old September 28th 09, 09:47 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Juan R. González-Álvarez

YKhan wrote on Fri, 25 Sep 2009 15:05:22 -0700:

On Sep 25, 10:53Â*am, "Juan R." GonzĂĄlez-Álvarez
wrote:
Sam Wormley wrote on Fri, 25 Sep 2009 03:34:42 +0000:
Â* Â*Can you quote the sentence where he says that black holes don't
Â* Â*exist?

From the abstract of above pdf:

Â* Â*If we add these to our set of symmetry transformations, black
Â* Â*holes, space-time singularities, and horizons disappear, while
Â* Â*causality and locality may survive as important principles for
Â* Â*quantum gravity.

"Black holes dissapear" is the same than "black holes cannot exist"
when we look at details :-D

Okay, if black hole event horizons disappear, then what is it that we're
seeing in the centers of galaxies, and some dead stars?

Never a horizon has been seen. This is why rigorous scientists call those
objects "black hole candidates" or "presummed black holes" and similar terms.

Yousuf Khan

Old October 1st 09, 07:58 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Juan R. Gonzålez-Álvarez wrote:
YKhan wrote on Fri, 25 Sep 2009 15:05:22 -0700:
Okay, if black hole event horizons disappear, then what is it that we're
seeing in the centers of galaxies, and some dead stars?

Never a horizon has been seen. This is why rigorous scientists call those
objects "black hole candidates" or "presummed black holes" and similar terms.

Basically what I'm trying to get at here is whether he's talking about
getting rid of the mathematical singularity at the heart of a black
hole, replacing it with a non-infinity, or is he talking about getting
rid of the black hole concept altogether including its event horizon. In
other words, light never gets trapped inside something.

Yousuf Khan