andromeda galaxy

Old January 5th 05, 02:13 PM
helen abdullahi

Default andromeda galaxy

I am newcomer to astronomy. I have a 6" Newtonian relector f/5. it was
supplied with a 25mm wide angle lens & a 10mm lens.
I have spent some time getting to know the constellations & feel that I have
a fair idea as to where everything is located.
Over the last few night, I have been trying to observe the Andromeda Galaxy.
I have studied star maps & I am sure that I am looking in the right area of
sky.
I have located the square of Pegasus, then from the star at the top left I
have counted two stars to the west. Then from there, I look about a third of
the way towards Cassiopeia, where I see nothing.
Am I looking in the right direction, & if so, which of my eye pieces should
I use & expect to see.
Thanks to anyone for your help.

Old January 5th 05, 02:55 PM
kapella

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 14:13:25 GMT, "helen abdullahi"
wrote:

I have located the square of Pegasus, then from the star at the top left I
have counted two stars to the west. Then from there, I look about a third of
the way towards Cassiopeia, where I see nothing.
Am I looking in the right direction, & if so, which of my eye pieces should
I use & expect to see.
Thanks to anyone for your help.

I must assume you live in a light polluted area, since Andromeda
Galaxy is an easy naked-eye object otherwise. Your best bet is to
use binoculars to identify the galaxy (piece of cake!), and using the
same binoculars, "walk" from Pegasus to the galaxy. Once you know
how to get there, you can star hop with the scope and a low power
eyepiece. Remember to count the star in the square as one, then go to
the next (an orangish star). If your skies are dark enough, there is
another fainter chain of stars that seem to arise from the square of
Pegasus, but diverges from the bright chain. From the second star
from Pegasus, go to the star directly above it. Then keep on going in
the same direction about the same distance, and you will find another
fainter star and the galaxy in the same field of view.

As to what to expect: an elongated glow, not much detail. At low
powers, yhou should also see M32 and M110 above and below the main
galaxy, two small, roundish blobs of light. Higher powers and larger
scopes will start to show some detail in Andromeda, such as a hint of
the lanes and a few clumps. Any scope 25 cm or above can show at
least one of Andromeda's globular clusters (but you will need a good
map and ideal skies), if not more.

With binoculars and dark skies, the galaxy is some 6-8 times longer
than the moon is wide.

Hapopy hunting.
Kapella
Old January 5th 05, 03:41 PM
Michael Barlow

wrote:

[...]

Kapella missed a step... The Telescope Finder Scope should see almost
the same thing as the Binoculars, maybe a bit dimmer but you'll see it.
--
Michael A. Barlow

Old January 5th 05, 03:46 PM
Karl Heinz Buchegger

wrote:

I have located the square of Pegasus, then from the star at the top left I
have counted two stars to the west. Then from there, I look about a third of
the way towards Cassiopeia, where I see nothing.
Am I looking in the right direction, & if so, which of my eye pieces should
I use & expect to see.
Thanks to anyone for your help.

I must assume you live in a light polluted area, since Andromeda
Galaxy is an easy naked-eye object otherwise.

But bewa
You want see it, if you stare directly at it! (at least
not if your sighting conditions are compareable to mine)

Study the area, someplace you will have the feeling
that there is 'something', some sort of faint glow, but
when you look exactly at it, it will vanish into the dark. Move
your look ~ 1/2 degree sideways (~moon diameter) and the faint
glow is there again. Now you have it, that's Andromeda galaxy.
Pull out your scope, use the longest eye-piece you have (for
small magnification) and point it to this magic spot.

--
Karl Heinz Buchegger

Old January 5th 05, 05:29 PM
Alexander Avtanski

helen abdullahi wrote:
I am newcomer to astronomy. I have a 6" Newtonian relector f/5. it was
supplied with a 25mm wide angle lens & a 10mm lens.
I have spent some time getting to know the constellations & feel that I have
a fair idea as to where everything is located.
Over the last few night, I have been trying to observe the Andromeda Galaxy.
I have studied star maps & I am sure that I am looking in the right area of
sky.
I have located the square of Pegasus, then from the star at the top left I
have counted two stars to the west. Then from there, I look about a third of
the way towards Cassiopeia, where I see nothing.
Am I looking in the right direction, & if so, which of my eye pieces should
I use & expect to see.
Thanks to anyone for your help.

In addition to the other responses, I'd like to say that if you
are just starting, M31 isn't the best looking object for a new
astronomer, especially from light polluted skies. If you didn't
try it yet, look at M42.

Regarding the eyepiece - use the lowest power you have (the EP
with the longest focal length), at least initially . This will
show you wider field of view and the core of the galaxy will
probably be easier to discern.

For M31, do not expect to see anything more than an elongated
smudge in the beginning, especially if your skies are not very
good. What you will be seeing is the brightest central part.
With some experience, especially from darker sites, you will
be able to see at least one dark lane and possibly some more
details.

Regards,

- Alex
Old January 8th 05, 05:55 AM
Rap

According to astronomical studies (from science channel ) here in
California, Andromeda galaxy is on collision course with Milky way, our own
galaxy and are moving towards each other at 250,000 miles per hour.

Old January 10th 05, 01:52 AM
Allen Orr

Since you are a beginner I would use the 25mm eyepiece as it will show a
wider field of view. For a beginner Andromeda, and any other object, can be
somewhat of a challenge. But it should be easy once you know where it is.
it took me a while to find it on my first attempt. It just takes patience
and practice. Remember your scope only shows a relatively small part of the
sky. You probably are looking in the correct "general" area of the sky but
if all you see are stars then you are not in the "exact" area. Double check
your charts and make sure of the general area. Check that your finder scope
is properly aligned with the main scope. You should expect to see an
obvious elongated fuzzy spot with significant brightness in the center.
Also much larger than the surrounding stars. Just sweep the sky slowly. Go
back and forth and up and down in a generous area making sure not to skip
any space. Kind of like painting a solid square. It is there and with a 6"
scope it will show up good. Just keep at it and dont give up. Also another
good object for beginners is M42 in Orion.

Old January 10th 05, 02:48 AM
Twittering One

"Also much larger than the surrounding stars.
Just sweep the sky slowly. Go
Back and forth and up and down in a generous
Area making sure not to skip
Any space. Kind of like painting a solid square."
~ Allen Orr

Or just see ~ Mr.
Josef Albers, that homage Mr.
Robert Raushcenberg borrowed for his blankie.
Apollo taught Dionysius, over at that Black
Mountain School. Butt O alas! So contrary,
They!
_______
Blog, or dog? Who knows.
But if you see my lost pup, please ping me!
http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo