A little first-hand about the Orbiter development

Old July 20th 03, 01:59 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

Default A little first-hand about the Orbiter development

"Hallerb" wrote in message

Not in pittsburgh. The starting salary is in the $40,000 range by 10 years

its
$85,000 plus its a 9 month jon/

Yeah, I should point out to my friend who was doing lesson plans last night
that's it's only a 9-month job. She must have forgotten she could take off
the summer.

Of course our property taxes are insand about $2500 a year on a $100,000

cheap
home.

No offense, but if that's your property taxes, you're doing better than many
people I know.

Old July 20th 03, 02:24 PM
Hallerb

Yeah, I should point out to my friend who was doing lesson plans last night
that's it's only a 9-month job. She must have forgotten she could take off
the summer.

Yeah they can pick up a summer job, some do summer school for extra bucks or
soide contracts like running the school paper, or clubs.

Ask your friend how many hours a day they will actually teach! They have prep
periods, free periods, lunch, and tend to have short days.

Its a tough job but not a swatshop by any means........
Old July 21st 03, 07:20 PM
Ami A. Silberman

Hallerb wrote:

Yeah, I should point out to my friend who was doing lesson plans last night
that's it's only a 9-month job. She must have forgotten she could take off
the summer.

Yeah they can pick up a summer job, some do summer school for extra bucks or
soide contracts like running the school paper, or clubs.

Ask your friend how many hours a day they will actually teach! They have prep
periods, free periods, lunch, and tend to have short days.

Its a tough job but not a swatshop by any means........

None of the four HS teachers I have known has more than one non-class
period per day, and two of them have lunchroom duty several days a week.
All run at least one extracurricular activity (it is technically
optional, but in practice not running one shows that you aren't a team
player.) They typically spend several hours per day preparing lesson
plans and grading. Have you ever graded for a class? It's brutal. I used
to be a professor. In general, I did not grade as closely as a K-12
teacher does (for instance, I didn't feel that I had to put the correct
answer in the graded paper.) At the end of the semester, it took me
thirty or forty hours over about three days to grade 100+ final exams.
Even grading the weekly homework assignment was typically five hours of
work.
Old July 21st 03, 08:11 PM
Mike Speegle

In news:Ami A. Silberman typed:
Hallerb wrote:

Yeah, I should point out to my friend who was doing lesson plans
last night that's it's only a 9-month job. She must have
forgotten she could take off the summer.

Yeah they can pick up a summer job, some do summer school for extra
bucks or soide contracts like running the school paper, or clubs.

Ask your friend how many hours a day they will actually teach! They
have prep periods, free periods, lunch, and tend to have short days.

Its a tough job but not a swatshop by any means........

[Ami's Good explanation of teachers' duties snipped]

Well, well, Hallerb once again spews ignorance and insults to a
profession he knows nothing about and cements his postion in the
killfile to a permanent status. Well done, Bob, and without spewing
obscenities. Well done. clap, clap ;-)
--
Mike
"Colorado Ski Country, USA" Come often, Ski hard,

Old July 21st 03, 08:47 PM
Hallerb

Well, well, Hallerb once again spews ignorance and insults to a
profession he knows nothing about and cements his postion in the
killfile to a permanent status. Well done, Bob, and without spewing
obscenities. Well done. clap, clap ;-)

Well I work closely with teachers in my job and have teachers in my family. So
I am not as clueless as it seems. Around here teachers get paid extra for
running clubs and other extra duties. Most tests are multiple choice granded by
scantron machines. They have aide staff that makes copies too.

I dont use obscenties here or genenerally in real life so I have no idea what
that portion of your comment is about.

In my local district teachers make about 85K after 10 years for a 9 month job.
Old July 21st 03, 08:47 PM
Herb Schaltegger

In article ,
"Ami A. Silberman" wrote:

Hallerb wrote:

[...]

Not only that but typically teachers are required (either explicitly or
de facto) to spend a good deal of their summers taking additional
classes toward advanced degrees or teaching certifications.
Additionally, many school systems have "planning meetings" and such
during parts of the summer to plan and prepare for the coming school
year. It's hardly a three month vacation. (I have a dear HS friend and
two relatives who are high school teachers).

--
Herb Schaltegger, Esq.
Chief Counsel, Human O-Ring Society
Old July 22nd 03, 05:35 AM
Andre Lieven

Hallerb wrote:

Yeah, I should point out to my friend who was doing lesson plans
last night that's it's only a 9-month job. She must have
forgotten she could take off the summer.

Yeah they can pick up a summer job, some do summer school for extra
bucks or soide contracts like running the school paper, or clubs.

Ask your friend how many hours a day they will actually teach! They
have prep periods, free periods, lunch, and tend to have short days.

Its a tough job but not a swatshop by any means........

[Ami's Good explanation of teachers' duties snipped]

Well, well, Hallerb once again spews ignorance and insults to a
profession he knows nothing about and cements his postion in the
killfile to a permanent status. Well done, Bob, and without spewing
obscenities. Well done. clap, clap ;-)

Indeed, Haller continues to show that he knows nothing about a great
many topics, and something about very few, if any.

An ex g/f was a high school teacher, and, while the summers off were
kinda cool, the time that her duties as a teacher ( And, she got an
ESL class, and the yearbook, too ) during the rest of the year were
such that she'd be there before 8, and be there until, on average,
6 PM, then having at least 1-3 hours of work at home to do, none the
least of which was lesson plans and correcting papers and tests.

I did some duty with marking tests, so that, with two of us working,
the job would be done sooner, and we could then get on to, say,
dinner.

While there are serious deficiencies that I know of, in US and
Canadian school systems, the idea that teachers are getting
" windfalls " for little work, as compared to regular 9 to 5
types, is, well, absurd.

But then, isn't anything Haller writes, that too ?

Andre

--
" I'm a man... But, I can change... If I have to... I guess. "
The Man Prayer, Red Green.
Old July 22nd 03, 12:36 PM
Hallerb

[...]

As I said most tests here are multiple choice graded by computer. Teahers have
support staff to make copies and do other chores during their PREP period.

Of course YOUR school may be different.

Mine is over $80,000 a year after 10 years. They get a $10,000 dollar raise
between the 9th and 10th year.

Try that in private industery.

As I said its a good job but NOT a swaetshop.

Teachers here get paid EXTRA for yearbook, clubs and other extras too.

Old July 22nd 03, 02:01 PM
Jay Windley

"Hallerb" wrote in message

| As I said most tests here are multiple choice graded by computer.

Including the English composition tests?

| Of course YOUR school may be different.

Almost certainly it is, and that's the point people are trying make: your
experience seems to be very atypical, so there's a limit to how much you can
legitimately extend it to the profession in general.

| Mine is over $80,000 a year after 10 years. They get a $10,000
| dollar raise between the 9th and 10th year.

My father didn't get this salary until he was the dean of a whole college.
He spent most of his career as an educator making essentially starvation
wages on a 9-month appointment. I don't think your assertions have a very
broad basis in reality.

| Try that in private industery.

In my profession, starting salaries for new graduates are between 2X and 3X
of the people who teach the profession.

--

The universe is not required to conform | Jay Windley
to the expectations of the ignorant. | webmaster @ clavius.org

Old July 22nd 03, 02:12 PM
Hallerb

| As I said most tests here are multiple choice graded by computer.

Including the English composition tests?

No but many are. Of course YOUR school may be different.

Almost certainly it is, and that's the point people are trying make: your
experience seems to be very atypical, so there's a limit to how much you can
legitimately extend it to the profession in general.

| Mine is over $80,000 a year after 10 years. They get a $10,000
| dollar raise between the 9th and 10th year.

My father didn't get this salary until he was the dean of a whole college.
He spent most of his career as an educator making essentially starvation
wages on a 9-month appointment. I don't think your assertions have a very
broad basis in reality.

Ahh I will have to find the Pittsburgh post gazette teacher salary article.
HERE ITS TRUE. Startuing salaries are about $40 to $45K

For brand new teachers!

| Try that in private industery.

In my profession, starting salaries for new graduates are between 2X and 3X
of the people who teach the profession.

--

Gee what do you do, sounds like a good profession.