stack lateral movement ?

Old November 3rd 05, 11:15 PM
adam bootle

Default stack lateral movement ?

Hi all,

I'm just curious if anyone knows how much the shuttle stack moves
horizontally before it clears the pad. Just been watching a launch on DVD
and it got me wondering.

Cheers...........Adam

Old November 3rd 05, 11:44 PM
Pat Flannery

adam bootle wrote:

Hi all,

I'm just curious if anyone knows how much the shuttle stack moves
horizontally before it clears the pad. Just been watching a launch on DVD
and it got me wondering.

Cheers...........Adam

Do you mean "the twang" at SSME ignition?
It's supposed to be 25 to 30 inches measured at the top of the ET, IIRC.

Pat
Old November 4th 05, 10:48 AM

Adam, you should check Bob Crippen's comments after STS-1. Describing
the launch film he said the Shuttle comes "awfully close to the
intertank access arm, which I always said she would". Don't know
exactly how close.

Ed

Old November 4th 05, 07:30 PM
adam bootle

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Do you mean "the twang" at SSME ignition?
It's supposed to be 25 to 30 inches measured at the top of the ET, IIRC.

Pat

No this is post "twang" Pat, this movement is from the release of the stack
until I guess when the roll maneuver starts. The stack doesn't appear to
ascend completely vertically, there is some horizontal movement, which I
guess is due to the off axis thrust of the SSME's.

It's only visible during a "side on" camera angle.

Just wanted to know how far horizontally the stack had travelled by the time
the SRB's had cleared the top of the tower.

Adam

Old November 4th 05, 07:32 PM
adam bootle

wrote in message
oups.com...
Adam, you should check Bob Crippen's comments after STS-1. Describing
the launch film he said the Shuttle comes "awfully close to the
intertank access arm, which I always said she would". Don't know
exactly how close.

Ed

Thanks Ed, I'm guessing your talking about the debriefing, I'll check it out
later on.

Adam

Old November 4th 05, 08:54 PM
John

"Describing the launch film he said the Shuttle comes "awfully close to
the intertank access arm, which I always said she would"

Could you tell me where I could find that debrief on-line? Thank you
in advance.

John

Old November 5th 05, 12:01 AM
adam bootle

STS-1 Technical Crew Debriefing also available in the Apogee book "Space
Shuttle STS 1-5, The NASA Mission Reports"

Adam

oups.com...

Old November 5th 05, 11:01 AM
adam bootle

Sorry John, that should have gone out as HTML, I sent it as text here's the
link

Old November 5th 05, 11:03 AM
adam bootle

oh **** it, I give up ! search for bobandrepont

Old November 5th 05, 09:08 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"adam bootle" wrote in message

oh **** it, I give up ! search for bobandrepont

Actually probably just as well. Many usenet readers don't like html posts.