What was all the debris flying around?

Old July 4th 06, 07:56 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Derek Lyons

Default What was all the debris flying around?

Neon Knight wrote:

On some of the video of the shuttle before launch, there appeared to be
alot of debris flying around. Any idea what that was? I thought maybe
birds but it looked like alot of white specks being blown around by the
wind.

I think the angle that cam was at showed the ocean in the background -
I.E. the white flecks were breakers. (Long range cameras can do funny
things to perspective.) That's why (at least it seemed to me) that
the 'debris' would wink in and out without alot of motion.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old July 4th 06, 08:19 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Andre Lieven

Derek Lyons ) writes:
Neon Knight wrote:

On some of the video of the shuttle before launch, there appeared to be
alot of debris flying around. Any idea what that was? I thought maybe
birds but it looked like alot of white specks being blown around by the
wind.

I think the angle that cam was at showed the ocean in the background -
I.E. the white flecks were breakers. (Long range cameras can do funny
things to perspective.) That's why (at least it seemed to me) that
the 'debris' would wink in and out without alot of motion.

There was also a moment in the early ascent, during SRB burn time,
when the CNN feed shifted from one camera to another, and the switch
gave us a brief glare, as the camera coming on caught the reflection
of the SSME nozzle's glare. But, that was a camera issue, and not a
stack issue.

Andre