Liquids on Mars?

Old March 31st 04, 11:03 PM
Peter Trei

Default Liquids on Mars?

Over on alt.planets.mars, where the 'unorthodox'
interpreters of the MER photos set up shop, there
are a couple interesting observations.

I would love it if I could get a clear explanation
of what we're actually seeing here.

---------
First:
Goddard writes:

They melted the rock!
it's liquid water on MARS for sure!!!!
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...P2979M2M1.HTML

....and it sure as heck looks like a dark trail of
liquid crossing a RAT depression.

----------
Second:
Eric Pouhier

takes this sequence of images:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...irit_m084.html

and assembles them into a movie:

http://tourlaville.nerim.net/Therockthatmelted.wmv

and yup, it sort of resembles liquid dripping off something,
but I suspect that it's some kind of imager artifact. Anybody
have an idea whats really going on?

Peter Trei

Old April 5th 04, 07:47 PM
Geoff Johnson

The first one could be a depression in the rock that didn't get ground so
kept a different finish - however this is just a guess.

The second one looks like the sort of artifact that appears when a CCD
camera is looking at something too bright for it to handle. It looks like
the sun emerging from behind the part of the rover.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...3EFF2232P2979M

Old April 26th 04, 06:43 AM
Eric Pouhier

Thanks for pointing to some of my "works" that's great, but the lack of interest is simply sad !!!
Peace, ERic

Life on mars, see and beleive !
http://tourlaville.nerim.net/mars.htm