Heck! Curses! Blast! Etc...

Old October 31st 03, 07:53 PM
Chris Berry

Default Heck! Curses! Blast! Etc...

For the first time in three nights I am sitting under clear skies and for
the first time in three nights the aurora has given up the ghost...

:-(

Ho hom...

Old October 31st 03, 08:48 PM
Paul A Brierley

May be we should all go to the PUB. I feel pretty peeved that we
missed it. For tow night its been cloudy and wet here in Macclesfield.
And tonight, it is partially cloudy.

Oh bugger.
PaulB.

Old October 31st 03, 09:16 PM
Paul Richardson

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:48:33 +0000, Paul A Brierley
wrote:

May be we should all go to the PUB. I feel pretty peeved that we
missed it. For tow night its been cloudy and wet here in Macclesfield.
And tonight, it is partially cloudy.

Oh bugger.
PaulB.

I can only agree, guys. Leigh, Lancs here, same total cloud conditions
for two nights, after an unprecedented frequency of clear nights for
weeks and weeks!! It seems uncannily timed to have spoiled the show
....... on could be tempted to cite some conspiracy theory.

Anybody else notice that the minute the sky cleared (against the trend
of the forecast I have to say) ............ hey, presto! all the
orange and red bars on the York website suddenly plunged back to the
well known green .....

"NO MAJOR ACTIVITY DETECTED"

The timing is almost as uncanny as the rain clouds in Penzance on
11/11/99 !!

Still trying to be grown-up and sensible, though feeling distinctly
like a Grumpy Old Man........

Paul
Leigh
Lancs

PS. Oh, I forgot. I DID see some good Leonids last year, AND one of
the recent Saturn occultations, AND the transit of Mercury. I wonder
what the UK weather can arrange for the November Lunar Eclipse, and
the 2004 Transit of Venus?????

Old October 31st 03, 09:20 PM
Chris Berry

The timing is almost as uncanny as the rain clouds in Penzance on
11/11/99 !!

Yeah. I was in Plymouth on that day. It was soul destroying... Little cloud
before the eclipse... cloud for the entire duration of the eclipse... no
cloud immediately after the eclipse.

:-(

This aurora has been just the same for me. The clouds have been so perfectly
timed I can scarcely believe what happened.

Old October 31st 03, 10:24 PM
ChrisH

wrote:

For the first time in three nights I am sitting under clear skies and for
the first time in three nights the aurora has given up the ghost...

:-(

Ho hom...

I nearly got excited for a minute - the POES auaroal activity has gone
up to 10 again (22:24pm), but of course now it's gone cloudy.

ChrisH

UK Astro Ads: http://www.UKAstroAds.co.uk
Old October 31st 03, 10:28 PM
Chris Berry

Yeah I saw that too! I went out to have a look. There's enough clear shy
here in Wakefield to have seen something if something was happening. I saw
nothing.

Old October 31st 03, 10:57 PM
ChrisH

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 22:28:57 -0000, "Chris Berry"
wrote:

Yeah I saw that too! I went out to have a look. There's enough clear shy
here in Wakefield to have seen something if something was happening. I saw
nothing.

Looking at the map I think you would be seeing something from
Scotland, it just needs to move a couple hundred miles south.

Old October 31st 03, 11:08 PM
Lucy

Ah yes, Plymouth in the cloud. How well I remember that particular day....I
feel like that truck driver from Hitchhiker's who's constantly followed by
rain not realising he's a rain god. Only cloud in my case. And I'm not the
only weather god it seems.
And I was aware of that eclipse happening from when I was very small. I'm
starting to realise astronomy is an incredibly frustrating science. But I
will stick with it. My luck's gotta change one day!

Lucy

Old October 31st 03, 11:33 PM
Martin Frey

"Lucy" wrote:

Ah yes, Plymouth in the cloud. How well I remember that particular day....I
feel like that truck driver from Hitchhiker's who's constantly followed by
rain not realising he's a rain god. Only cloud in my case. And I'm not the
only weather god it seems.

The dictator of Madagascar arrived on a cloudless day for the June
2001 eclipse. A couple of minutes from totality a small (but just
large enough) cloud moved into position and a sudden sharp squall
prevented his helicopter from taking him the two miles required to
avoid the cloud.

6 months later he went into exile.

Thus clouds can bring joy to benighted islands. I wonder if Tony Blair
saw the aurora?

Cheers

Martin

--------------
Martin Frey
N 51 02 E 0 47
--------------
Old November 1st 03, 09:43 AM
Paul Richardson

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 23:33:08 +0000, Martin Frey
wrote:

Thus clouds can bring joy to benighted islands.

I like that - must be a quotable quote. "In the words of the immortal
Martin Frey, 'Thus clouds can bring joy.....' "
Yes, I must remember that one.

:-)

I wonder if Tony Blair
saw the aurora?

Or Michael Howard - he has "something of the night about him" after
all!!

Paul
Leigh
Lancs