sky digital & nasa tv

Old September 3rd 03, 11:00 PM
aj

Default sky digital & nasa tv

is it possible to include nasa tv on the sky channel list or subscribe to it
through sky?

Old September 3rd 03, 11:26 PM
anon

Friendly TV ... now that is a farce of biblical proportions!!!

has anyone else seen it ? track it down in the entertainment category... say
6pm onwards... or anytime really

"ChrisH" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 23:00:57 +0100, "aj" wrote:

is it possible to include nasa tv on the sky channel list or subscribe to

it
through sky?

Nope, and I've asked them several times.They have plenty of channels
to spare for tele-shopping and god-channels (add your list of silly
channels here...) but not one for NASA TV. It seems that man's quest
to conquer space is a little less interesting than selling car
shampoo.

ChrisH

UK Astro Ads: http://www.UKAstroAds.co.uk

Old September 3rd 03, 11:46 PM
ChrisH

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 23:26:18 +0100, "anon"
wrote:

Friendly TV ... now that is a farce of biblical proportions!!!

has anyone else seen it ? track it down in the entertainment category... say
6pm onwards... or anytime really

Jeez, that's bad. TBH I didn't realise just how many garbage channels
there were until I just looked for that one. Makes it even more
irritating.

Old September 3rd 03, 11:49 PM
David Warrington

Jeez, that's bad. TBH I didn't realise just how many garbage channels
there were until I just looked for that one. Makes it even more
irritating.

There are loads of other extremely low budget & low quality channels.
BEN or Rapture are other examples.

Perhaps it is worth finding out how it costs to put a channel together.
Maybe us amateurs could knock together a decent astronomy & space channel.

Old September 4th 03, 09:51 AM
Brendan DJ Murphy

This has been discussed before, but I dont think there is any chance in it
happening.

For astronomy programmes on Sky Digital, the best channel is "Discovery
Science" on channel 555.

However, the programmes do become a little repetitive. I must have seen the
programme about the Mars Rock about 100 times!

Brendan

Old September 4th 03, 10:09 PM
Jeff Taylor

In article , aj
writes
is it possible to include nasa tv on the sky channel list or subscribe to it
through sky?

Hi AJ,

If you've got a broadband connection, you can watch it on the Web at:

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/nasatv/

Regards,
--
Jeff Taylor
Old September 4th 03, 10:22 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Jeff Taylor
writes
In article , aj
writes
is it possible to include nasa tv on the sky channel list or subscribe to it
through sky?

Hi AJ,

If you've got a broadband connection, you can watch it on the Web at:

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/nasatv/

Is that real broadband or what is being sold to the British public as
broadband?
--
"Forty millions of miles it was from us, more than forty millions of miles of
void"
Old September 4th 03, 10:42 PM
Jeff Taylor

In article , Jonathan Silverlight
writes
In message , Jeff Taylor
writes
In article , aj
writes
is it possible to include nasa tv on the sky channel list or subscribe to it
through sky?

Hi AJ,

If you've got a broadband connection, you can watch it on the Web at:

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/nasatv/

Is that real broadband or what is being sold to the British public as
broadband?

Ha ha. It plays OK on my 512Kb connection, although I could get a 1Mb or
2Mb connection if I wanted (or could afford it!) - Blueyonder.
I take your point in general though.

Regards,
--
Jeff Taylor
Old September 5th 03, 09:36 AM
Andy

Default sky digital & nasa tv TRY "BAYERN3"

If you can get hold of the old analogue dish and receiver, there is a German
Channel Called "Bayern 3" They used to have all the space stuff on, live ESA
launches and loads of old NASA movies. I saved loads to VHS.

It may be worth a try again.

Cheers

Andy

Old September 5th 03, 09:46 AM
Mike Dworetsky

"ChrisH" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 22:42:26 +0100, Jeff Taylor
wrote:

In article , Jonathan Silverlight
writes
In message , Jeff Taylor
writes
In article , aj
writes
is it possible to include nasa tv on the sky channel list or subscribe

to it
through sky?

Hi AJ,

If you've got a broadband connection, you can watch it on the Web at:

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/nasatv/

Is that real broadband or what is being sold to the British public as
broadband?

Ha ha. It plays OK on my 512Kb connection, although I could get a 1Mb or
2Mb connection if I wanted (or could afford it!) - Blueyonder.
I take your point in general though.

Regards,

In my experience it plays OK until there is something interesting to
watch! The last couple of shuttle launches I avidly watched the
countdown but the nearer the liftoff the worse the picture got. A
minute before it just stopped playing. Luckily Sky News Active showed
the critical bits. Maybe it's a bandwidth problem?

This sounds like a NASA server problem; the server has to supply the files
individually to each person connecting, and no server designed for 200
connections can handle 50,000 or more with anything like the same speed.

On the other hand, a direct satellite broadcast can serve any number of
aerials.

NASA TV is on a different satellite(s), and "big" dish receivers can
probably get it if you know what satellite to tune and can move the dish
around. In the UK you would probably need a very large dish as the
"footprint" is mainly for the USA.

The broadcast is in NTSC not PAL, but many modern TVs can handle both.

Maybe one of the cable companies can supply it?

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove "pants" spamblock to send e-mail)

Moon and Mars expeditions vs. RLV development vthokie Policy 62 March 30th 04 04:51 AM
Pres. Kerry's NASA ed kyle Policy 354 March 11th 04 07:05 PM
Selected Restricted NASA Videotapes Michael Ravnitzky Space Station 5 January 16th 04 04:28 PM
NASA's year of sorrow, recovery, progress and success Jacques van Oene Space Shuttle 0 December 31st 03 07:28 PM
NASA Celebrates Educational Benefits of Earth Science Week Ron Baalke Science 0 October 10th 03 04:14 PM