New Mars images from the Midlands and somewhere else (again!)

Old July 28th 03, 10:36 AM
Pete Lawrence

Default New Mars images from the Midlands and somewhere else (again!)

On 27 Jul 2003 13:51:04 -0700, (andrea tasselli)
wrote:

Hello all,

I've uploaded a set of new Mars images covering the period from the
end of June to now. You can find them at the following url:

http://www.geocities.com/andreatax/Mars_2003.htm

Excellent work - some nice detail in there Andrea!

Aperture envy mode engaged ;-)

--
Pete
Homepage at http://www.pbl33.co.uk
Old July 28th 03, 04:35 PM
Pete Lawrence

wrote:

Hello all,

I've uploaded a set of new Mars images covering the period from the
end of June to now. You can find them at the following url:

http://www.geocities.com/andreatax/Mars_2003.htm

Andrea - is your orientation correct? With the south pole at the top
of the image, I would have expected the phased limb to be on the left.

Now it's me confused ;-)

With the south pole on the bottom, the phased limb should be on the
right.

Old July 28th 03, 06:31 PM
Stephen Tonkin

Pete Lawrence wrote:

Now it's me confused ;-)

All depends on the number and nature of reflections, etc. in the optical
train.

Best,
Stephen

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +

Old July 28th 03, 09:46 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 18:31:32 +0100, Stephen Tonkin
wrote:

Pete Lawrence wrote:

Now it's me confused ;-)

All depends on the number and nature of reflections, etc. in the optical
train.

There must be a convention for display though. I've put my results on
my website with south at the bottom. This was a mistake because it
makes it impossible to compare results easily. I'll change it
accordingly.

I would of thought that the convention would be to orient w/e as they
would be seen (upside down) in the sky - i.e. s up, n down, w left, e
right. In other words as the true Mars would look in the sky but
rotated 180 degrees. However, this is me making it up - there may be
no such display convention.

Old July 28th 03, 10:20 PM
andrea tasselli

wrote:

Hello all,

I've uploaded a set of new Mars images covering the period from the
end of June to now. You can find them at the following url:

http://www.geocities.com/andreatax/Mars_2003.htm

Andrea - is your orientation correct? With the south pole at the top
of the image, I would have expected the phased limb to be on the left.

Now it's me confused ;-)

With the south pole on the bottom, the phased limb should be on the
right.

Hi Pete,

On the imager, with south on the bottom the phased limb is on the left
looking at the image. Of course you can always change all that by
reflection/rotation. BTW, I'm using a mirror diagonal in my setup.

Best

Andrea T.

My Astronomy Pages at:
http://www.geocities.com/andreatax

Old July 29th 03, 09:59 AM
Pete Lawrence

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:54:47 +0100, Stephen Tonkin
wrote:

Pete Lawrence wrote:
There must be a convention for display though.

Usually a little "L" shape with arrow heads at the end of the legs and
N and E on it.

A left pointing "L" or a right pointing "L"? Although I realise that
optical components can flip the image that's captured there is more of
a need (introduced with digital imaging) to introduce a standard so
that imagers can compare results.