what's the deal on speckle masking algorithms??

Old June 23rd 04, 06:44 PM
Able Ring

Default what's the deal on speckle masking algorithms??

This algorithm must be closely guarded.... I can get my hands on just about
everything else like maximum entropy, etc, but speckle masking seems to
belong only to the pros. There's nothing I would like better than to be
able to reconstruct an image without introducing noise, something all
algorithms seem to do except in the speckle masking/ Pixon examples I've
seen.

Able

Old June 23rd 04, 07:10 PM
Chris L Peterson

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:44:34 GMT, "Able Ring" wrote:

This algorithm must be closely guarded.... I can get my hands on just about
everything else like maximum entropy, etc, but speckle masking seems to
belong only to the pros. There's nothing I would like better than to be
able to reconstruct an image without introducing noise, something all
algorithms seem to do except in the speckle masking/ Pixon examples I've
seen.

A quick Google search revealed dozens of papers describing algorithms, and a
couple of source code examples. The IRAF code is available.

The technique is certainly not perfect. It is only useable for bright sources,
since the individual exposures need to be short (that is, forget using it on
DSOs). It is also very computation intensive.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com