Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Old July 12th 17, 02:31 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.electronics.design
[email protected]

Default Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 18:20:26 -0700, Fred J. McCall

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 14:46:45 -0700, Fred J. McCall

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 13:15:28 -0700, Fred J. McCall

In sci.physics David Mitchell wrote:
wrote:

OK, what "stuff" would people be making at home?

Jewellry, utilities, tools, gadgets.

Could you be any more vague?

"Vague"? Do you not know what jewelry and such are?

Why on Earth would anyone print jewelry? Plastic jewelry? ...or are
you going to print gold? BTW, I'd like to see you print hardened
steel and water companies, too.

Do try to keep up. The question was "what do people make at home?"
The question was not "What are people 3D-Printing at home?"

You really do have a short attention span, don't you? Probably ADHD.

Lack of content noted.

You can't understand more.

That being said, why not? Where do you get the silly idea that
3D-printing only works for plastics? People are 3D-printing rocket
combustion chambers and you think 'hardened steel' is a problem?

Do try to pay attention. Maybe if you took notes.

Lack of content noted.

You can't understand more.
Old July 12th 17, 03:24 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.electronics.design
[email protected]

In sci.physics Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 22:12:50 -0000, the renowned
wrote:

wrote:

OK, what "stuff" would people be making at home?

Jewellry, utilities, tools, gadgets.

Could you be any more vague?

"Vague"? Do you not know what jewelry and such are?

Why on Earth would anyone print jewelry? Plastic jewelry? ...or are
you going to print gold? BTW, I'd like to see you print hardened
steel and water companies, too.

I can see a few, very few, people printing junk jewelry, mostly teenage
girls.

3D printing actually is quite useful as part of a bespoke
jewellery-making process. You design a 3D model using a CAD program
such as Jewelsmith, print a positive, then use investment casting to
produce a one-time mold, which is used to mold precious metal.

Yep, it will revolutionize the jewelry business...

I can't see anyone printing an electric, gas, or water company.

Tools and gadgets are so vague they are meaningless.

Tools? I just 3D-printed a fixture for stencil printing a PCB. It
holds a small panel (snaps into the mounting holes) and has cutouts to
allow the PCB to sit flat after parts have already been mounted on the
other side. Crude but more than good enough. A machinist would have
charged me perhaps $500 and taken days. And I would have gotten bogged
down in toolpaths and cutter compensation and such like programming it
myself in a CAM program.

--sp

Something housewives across the continent have been clamoring for.

--
Jim Pennino
Old July 12th 17, 06:44 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.electronics.design
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Guy's, give up. The Chimp's position is ALWAYS that nothing that
hasn't already been done can possibly be done or have an impact on
anything. He can't help it. He's a 1930's style bureaucrat.

wrote:

In sci.physics Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 22:12:50 -0000, the renowned

Old July 12th 17, 07:04 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.electronics.design
David Mitchell[_3_]

wrote:

OK, what "stuff" would people be making at home?

Jewellry, utilities, tools, gadgets.

Could you be any more vague?

Yes. Yes I could.

Things. People will make things. All of the things.

Old July 12th 17, 12:28 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.electronics.design
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

I can see a few, very few, people printing junk jewelry, mostly teenage
girls.

Perhaps, but have you been to a craft store in the last 5 years?
They've been selling commercial 2d robotic cutters for many years that
are about the size of an ink-jet printer. The stupid thing shows
absolutely no sign of stopping even though the "cartridges" which
contain the cutting patterns are DRM protected and *very* expensive.
They are mostly used by people who like to do scrap books, but others
use them for making their own greeting cards and etc.

In those same craft stores is a large jewelery making section. Those
"memory bracelets" people make are a hot thing because "every item on it
represents a memory". In other words, these things are already highly
customized.

So, I wouldn't discount the notion that the crafts stores might start
selling very small 3d metal printers for making little dangling things
for jewelery (memory bracelets, necklace charms, and etc.) since this
would drop right into the market-space. They would only need to print
at most 3" x 3" x 3" to cover 99% of the jewelery market.

That same metal printer would sell "big league" at game stores where
custom cast characters for board games are already a huge market. In
other words Dungeons and Dragons, Warhammer 40k, and etc. Even if an
individual player wouldn't want one, every damn game store on the planet
would want at least a couple.

Jeff
Old July 12th 17, 01:10 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.electronics.design
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Jeff Findley wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

Any bets on what his response will be, Jeff? I'm betting it will
include the word 'niche', 'crap', or both. You see, the entire world
falls in those categories unless it is something we've been doing
since the 1930s...

--
You are
What you do
Old July 12th 17, 03:24 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.electronics.design
Robert Clark[_5_]

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
[...]

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
---

Since it would have required a machinist I assume it was 3D-printed in
metal? Who did the actual 3D-printing?

Bob Clark

Finally, nanotechnology can now fulfill its potential to revolutionize
21st-century technology, from the space elevator, to private, orbital
launchers, to 'flying cars'.
This crowdfunding campaign is to prove it:

Nanotech: from air to space.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/n...ce/x/13319568/

Old July 12th 17, 03:58 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.electronics.design
Robert Clark[_5_]

An article from 2015:

3-D-printed car could hit streets next year. Chris Woodyard, USA TODAY 4:48
p.m. EST November 12, 2015
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...swim/75530830/

Several companies have come out with what they call "3D-printed" cars, but
none have 3D-printed the most important part, the engine.

This would be difficult to do with an internal combustion engine, with its
high temperatures, multiple moving parts, and high tolerances.

But it shouldn't be too difficult with an electric engine. In fact
considering there are now miniature 3D-printers on the market for the home,
an amateur could be the first to produce an entire, scale-size, 3D-printed
car.
And then it could be scaled up to produce a full-size, working, fully
3D-printed automobile.

This would revolutionize the industry, obviously.

The two most difficult parts would be the engine and the transmission.

This video shows how you can make your own simple electric motor:

How to Make an Electric Motor at Home - YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p2QTE26VOA

Looking at the steps in the video, it appears they could all be
accomplished by 3D-printing.

Bob Clark

GE has mass produced via 3D-printing a metal nozzle tip that would have been
difficult to produce using other methods:

An Epiphany Of Disruption: GE Additive Chief Explains How 3D Printing Will
Upend Manufacturing.
Jun 21, 2017 by Tomas Kellner
Quote:
The nozzle met the team’s wildest expectations. Morris’ machine not
only combined all 20 parts into a single unit, but it also weighed 25
percent less than an ordinary nozzle and was more than five times as
durable. “The technology was incredible,” Ehteshami says. “In the design of
jet engines, complexity used to be expensive. But additive allows you to get
sophisticated and reduces costs at the same time. This is an engineer’s
dream. I never imagined that this would be possible.”
http://www.ge.com/reports/epiphany-d...manufacturing/

But what I really find interesting in this article are some comments GE's
additive manufacturing head Ehteshami said about what he see's for the
future of 3D-printing:

Quote:
“I was excited but also disturbed,” says Mohammad Ehteshami after a
vendor printed an complex part for a jet engine. “I knew that we found a
solution, but I also saw that this technology could eliminate what we’ve
done for years and years and put a lot of pressure on our financial model.”
and:

Quote:
Ehteshami calls his additive awakening an “epiphany of disruption.”
Says Ehteshami: “Once you start thinking about it, you realize both
intellectually and emotionally ‘Oh my God, if I don’t start moving, somebody
else will.’ You are excited because you are an engineer, but you are also
afraid because you are a human being. Both of these feelings start pulling
at you to say: ‘I’ve got to go, I’ve got to go.’ And you start running.”
From the way I interpret what Ehteshami is saying, it mirrors something I've
been thinking. You can imagine not just cars being fully 3D-printed, but
entire airplanes, tractors, construction vehicles, refrigerators, air
conditioners, and everything else called "durable goods". But this would
mean nearly all manufacturing jobs would be replaced by 3D-printing
machines. That is a major economic disruption.

Not only that, but all these would become much cheaper. Would the companies
that produce them even be billion dollar companies anymore?

Old July 12th 17, 04:42 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.electronics.design
Robert Clark[_5_]

[...]

GE's only being able to mass produce a complex fuel nozzle by 3D-printing,
suggests the usefulness of 3D-printing for mass production is dependent on
the complexity of the part.

Desktop Metal claims their production system could 3D-print one hundred
small parts inches across in 4.5 hours, at a production cost of $4.25 each:

Desktop Metal Production System.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUOCiRktuCo

But what those parts could actually be sold for would be dependent on the
complexity of the part, which is reflected in the sale price of the part. An
example in this size range would be electric motors for radio controlled
airplanes and drones. Depending on power rating, these small electric motors
can still be priced in the hundreds of dollars range:

Brushless Motors Model Motors Brushless.
http://www.radicalrc.com/category/Mo...-Brushless-113

The highest power rated motors listed there are priced at $200, while still
being only inches across. So Desktop Metal 3D-printing 100 of these could
sell them for a total of $20,000, while their production cost for the 100
would be only $425.

This possibility, that the DM system could 3D-print the entire electric
motor, could be tested by anyone who owns a Desktop Metal Studio machine due
to be available this year for single part prototyping. If so, the Desktop
Metal Production machine could pay for itself in 2 days to anyone who
purchased it.

Old July 12th 17, 06:45 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.electronics.design
[email protected]

In sci.physics Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

By those standards black powder firearms will take over the firearms world.

I'm not saying there is not and will not be a bunch of niche users of
3D printing.

What I am saying is that 3D printing is not going to be the next industrial
revolution.

--
Jim Pennino