Astro : A Question

Old October 20th 08, 07:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Paul[_6_]

Default Astro : A Question

Since having my LX200 classic scope stolen a few weeks ago i have been
looking for a new one.
Anyway i'm down to 2 choices

Meade LX200 8" or a Meade LX90 10" both are good scopes and the spec's are
almost the same!!

So what do you think............what way do i jump???........what would you
do???

TIA

Paul

Old October 20th 08, 06:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Paul wrote:

Since having my LX200 classic scope stolen a few weeks ago i have been
looking for a new one.
Anyway i'm down to 2 choices

Meade LX200 8" or a Meade LX90 10" both are good scopes and the spec's are
almost the same!!

So what do you think............what way do i jump???........what would
you do???

TIA

Paul

It depends on what you want to do with the scope. The difference
between the LX200 series and the LX90 series is the mount, the same
optical tube is used on both (different aperture in this case of course
but otherwise the same -- the very last LX200's made did add mirror lock
not found on the LX90 however). The LX200 is designed to be also put on
a wedge and used for long exposure deep sky work the LX90 makes this
very difficult to accomplish. It is best left as an alt azimuth scope.
So if you plan no deep sky photography and want the extra light grasp
of a 10" scope and don't mind the extra weight of the heavier OTA --
somewhat countered by the lighter mount then go for the LX-90. But if
deep sky photography is planned avoid it. It is only good for short
exposure work as in photographing the moon, sun and planets. Track and
accumulate can be used for deep sky but the results -- to me -- are poor
compared to what can be done using the LX200 with an off axis guider
on an equatorial wedge.

Rick

Old October 20th 08, 08:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Sjouke Burry[_2_]

Paul wrote:
Since having my LX200 classic scope stolen a few weeks ago i have been
looking for a new one.
Anyway i'm down to 2 choices

Meade LX200 8" or a Meade LX90 10" both are good scopes and the spec's are
almost the same!!

So what do you think............what way do i jump???........what would you
do???

TIA

Paul

Get the heaviest one.
Next thief might leave it alone.
Old October 21st 08, 12:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Andy G

Sorry to hear of your loss, was it nicked out of the garage or observatory?

where are you located?

--
Mr Andrew R Green BSc(Hons) FBIS, FRAS

Old October 21st 08, 05:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Paul[_6_]

Morning guys, thanks for the advice and i think its gonna be the LX200 for
me as i get the feeling i will be getting the bug to
do a bit of photograghy seeing some of the picture and the fact that i have
a meade DSI, ok i know it's a 8" and not a 10"
but feel the stronger mount won me over.
So as soon as i can i will be knocking on the doors of Telescope house for a
deal for cash lol!!!

My telescope was stolen from my garage in Crawley sussex (uk).
The b@$&*#ds that stole it were keen to get it as they broke 3 locks off of
the door and then when they
still couldnt get in they bent the door to get it open causing about £1000
worth of damage to the door and frame!!

The police seem to think that it was stolen to order as other stuff in the
garage was untouched, but there
is a bit of twist in the tail,........whoever stole it didnt get the control
cables and handset as the last time i used it
i forgot to pack them in the box and they were taking indoors!!

So, they can't use the scope until they get these missing bits and bobs and
as broadhurst clarkson and fuller are
the only importers of these bits, if they try to order them BCF have said
they will notify me!

The sad part about this whole story is that if the police are right and it
was stolen to order, that means
that there is a astronomer out there who does not mind using stolen
gear....................but thats only
if he can get the missing cables!!

The other sad thing is that if it was not stolen to order, it will end up
in a ditch or a dump somewhere
smashed up because whoever has it wont be able to make it work out of the
box as you should!!

Paul

"Paul" wrote in message
Since having my LX200 classic scope stolen a few weeks ago i have been
looking for a new one.
Anyway i'm down to 2 choices

Meade LX200 8" or a Meade LX90 10" both are good scopes and the spec's
are
almost the same!!

So what do you think............what way do i jump???........what would
you do???

TIA

Paul

ASTRO: Question about skyglow George L Astro Pictures 7 February 29th 08 05:06 AM
ASTRO: Seeing condition question J.Warren Astro Pictures 5 November 6th 07 01:15 AM
ASTRO:Question Starlord Astro Pictures 1 June 3rd 07 06:38 PM
Astro Photo question Starlord Amateur Astronomy 6 April 8th 06 03:38 PM
Question for sci.astro [email protected] Astronomy Misc 4 January 24th 05 06:14 PM