CEV PDQ

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 8th 05, 11:23 AM
Rhonda Lea Kirk

Neil Gerace wrote:

I just have a pet hate about the use of the word
'bandwidth' in this sense. But then, I studied Fourier
transforms at uni, so I know what the difference is
between frequency and speed. (Doubtless most people here
do too.)

Of course. This is a technical group. But as used in this
thread, it is a traditional shorthand with a long history. I
went hunting in the RFCs for a response to Mary's contention
that trimming was never about bandwidth, and it is used in
this context quite frequently.

As for what trimming is about, all the references I
found--including the nanae-FAQ--cite bandwidth as the reason
for trimming quotes. But what I searched for were references
to trimming and bandwidth, so all it means is I found what I
was looking for, which may or may not be the answer.

Me, I trim my quotes pretty carefully, and I get annoyed by
people who don't. Other than that, it's hard for me to
remember what this is all about because the post Mary
responded to is nearly a month old, and I'm an old lady,
with a spotty memory that doesn't go back that far.

rl