Who coined the term 'gas giant'?

Old October 17th 03, 09:33 AM
Dan Tilque

Default Who coined the term 'gas giant'?

The reason I ask, is that the OED has this term on the list of
words from science fiction that they are trying to find the
earliest cite for. See http://www.jessesword.com/SF/sf.shtml for
the list.

But 'gas giant' is more of an astronomy term, rather than science
fiction. Anyone have any idea who came up with it and where they
first used it?

--
Dan Tilque

Old October 17th 03, 02:36 PM
CeeBee

"Dan Tilque" wrote in sci.astro:

The reason I ask, is that the OED has this term on the list of
words from science fiction that they are trying to find the
earliest cite for. See http://www.jessesword.com/SF/sf.shtml for
the list.

But 'gas giant' is more of an astronomy term, rather than science
fiction. Anyone have any idea who came up with it and where they
first used it?

Maybe not the complete answer, but it has been addressed before he

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...0909%40wwt.net

--
CeeBee

Uxbridge: "By God, sir, I've lost my leg!"
Wellington: "By God, sir, so you have!"

Google CeeBee @ www.geocities.com/ceebee_2

Old October 17th 03, 06:11 PM
John Oliver

Dan Tilque wrote:
The reason I ask, is that the OED has this term on the list of
words from science fiction that they are trying to find the
earliest cite for. See http://www.jessesword.com/SF/sf.shtml for
the list.

But 'gas giant' is more of an astronomy term, rather than science
fiction. Anyone have any idea who came up with it and where they
first used it?

--
Dan Tilque

I have scanned a variety of astronomy texts (including Baker and
Russell, Dugan, and Stewart)in the 1950-1965 period and found none that
used this term. Jovian and Giant were used frequently but noy Gas Giant.

--
John Oliver
University of Florida

Old October 17th 03, 06:52 PM
Dan Tilque

CeeBee wrote:

"Dan Tilque" wrote in sci.astro:

The reason I ask, is that the OED has this term on the list of
words from science fiction that they are trying to find the
earliest cite for. See http://www.jessesword.com/SF/sf.shtml
for the list.

But 'gas giant' is more of an astronomy term, rather than
science fiction. Anyone have any idea who came up with it and
where they first used it?

Maybe not the complete answer, but it has been addressed
before he

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...0909%40wwt.net

Thanks CeeBee. I should have figured Mike would have asked here,
but I didn't recall seeing the thread.

John Oliver wrote:
I have scanned a variety of astronomy texts (including Baker
and Russell, Dugan, and Stewart)in the 1950-1965 period and
found none that used this term. Jovian and Giant were used
frequently but noy Gas Giant.

Interesting. I wonder if a search of Sky & Telescope of that
period would prove fruitful. Unfortunately, I don't think those
issues are on-line. But maybe Mike has already asked them; I'll
have to check on that.

--
Dan Tilque

Old October 17th 03, 06:57 PM
James Nicoll

John Oliver wrote:
I have scanned a variety of astronomy texts (including Baker
and Russell, Dugan, and Stewart)in the 1950-1965 period and
found none that used this term. Jovian and Giant were used
frequently but noy Gas Giant.

Interesting. I wonder if a search of Sky & Telescope of that
period would prove fruitful. Unfortunately, I don't think those
issues are on-line. But maybe Mike has already asked them; I'll
have to check on that.

I'd look at the Asimov nonfic column in F&SF as well. I have
this feeling the first place I ever saw the term was in there or one
of his popular astronomy books.

Of course the part where the phrase vaults from the back
issues of a decent SF magazine and into common usage in astronomy
is where my idea likely falls down...
--
It's amazing how the waterdrops form: a ball of water with an air bubble
inside it and inside of that one more bubble of water. It looks so beautiful