"Measurement of Starlight", J. B. Hearnshaw

Old August 28th 06, 08:43 PM posted to sci.astro
Greg Heath

Default "Measurement of Starlight", J. B. Hearnshaw

I am interested in automated stellar classification using artificial
neural networks (ANNs). My background includes electrical
engineering, plasma physics and ANNs.

I bought "Stars and their Spectra: An introduction to the
Spectral Sequence" , 1989, by Kaler and am looking for additional
reference books relevant to the subject. I am planning to buy
"The Classification of Stars", 1990, by Jaschek & Jaschek and was
considering "The Analysis of Starlight: 150 years of Astonomical
Photometry", 1990, by J. B. Hearnshaw. However, Hearnshaw has
a new 2005 book "Measurement of Starlight; Two Centuries of
Astronomical Phototometry" .

Is the 2005 book considered an updated version of the 1990
book and a sufficient alternative for my purposes?

TIA

Greg

Old August 29th 06, 12:20 AM posted to sci.astro
Mark Gingrich

Greg Heath wrote:

I bought "Stars and their Spectra: An introduction to the
Spectral Sequence" , 1989, by Kaler and am looking for additional
reference books relevant to the subject. I am planning to buy
"The Classification of Stars", 1990, by Jaschek & Jaschek and was
considering "The Analysis of Starlight: 150 years of Astonomical
Photometry", 1990, by J. B. Hearnshaw. However, Hearnshaw has
a new 2005 book "Measurement of Starlight; Two Centuries of
Astronomical Phototometry" .

Is the 2005 book considered an updated version of the 1990
book and a sufficient alternative for my purposes?

Be careful. J. B. Hearnshaw wrote two completely independent books with
similar titles, both from Cambridge University Press:

_The Analysis of Starlight: One Hundred and Fifty Years of Astronomical
Spectroscopy_, 1986.

_The Measurement of Starlight: Two Centuries of Astronomical Photometry_,
1996.

I didn't know about his 2005 book, but it would appear to be a revision
of the latter tome.

--
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Mark Gingrich San Leandro, California
Old August 29th 06, 05:31 AM posted to sci.astro
Greg Heath

Mark Gingrich wrote:
Greg Heath wrote:

I bought "Stars and their Spectra: An introduction to the
Spectral Sequence" , 1989, by Kaler and am looking for additional
reference books relevant to the subject. I am planning to buy
"The Classification of Stars", 1990, by Jaschek & Jaschek and was
considering "The Analysis of Starlight: 150 years of Astonomical
Photometry", 1990, by J. B. Hearnshaw. However, Hearnshaw has
a new 2005 book "Measurement of Starlight; Two Centuries of
Astronomical Phototometry" .

Is the 2005 book considered an updated version of the 1990
book and a sufficient alternative for my purposes?

Be careful. J. B. Hearnshaw wrote two completely independent books with
similar titles, both from Cambridge University Press:

_The Analysis of Starlight: One Hundred and Fifty Years of Astronomical
Spectroscopy_, 1986.

Paperback 1990.

Only used 1986 hardcopies available from Amazon & B&N.

_The Measurement of Starlight: Two Centuries of Astronomical Photometry_,
1996.

Paperback 2005.

I didn't know about his 2005 book, but it would appear to be a revision
of the latter tome.

Thanks for the heads up (and to emailer Bill Owen). I hadn't noticed
the
the Spectroscopy/Photometry difference.

Does anyone know where I can get the 1990 paperback on
spectroscopy?

Greg