Do the Russkies think they can get that thing out of the lake?

Old February 17th 13, 12:57 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_1_]

Default Do the Russkies think they can get that thing out of the lake?

They showed on the news a frozen lake with a circular hole in it. It
was taped-off so I presume that was the real entry-point of the
meteorite fragment. I'm wondering how deep it is and whether they'll
be able to locate it?
Old February 17th 13, 01:21 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ben[_3_]

On Saturday, February 16, 2013 7:57:32 PM UTC-5, RichA wrote:
They showed on the news a frozen lake with a circular hole in it. It

was taped-off so I presume that was the real entry-point of the

meteorite fragment. I'm wondering how deep it is and whether they'll

be able to locate it?

Divers have been down there and they haven't found anything yet. (??!!)
Old February 17th 13, 06:14 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 16:57:32 -0800 (PST), RichA
wrote:

They showed on the news a frozen lake with a circular hole in it. It
was taped-off so I presume that was the real entry-point of the
meteorite fragment. I'm wondering how deep it is and whether they'll
be able to locate it?

Nothing has been found. I think there are probably better explanations
for the hole than a meteorite fragment.
Old February 17th 13, 01:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

RichA:
They showed on the news a frozen lake with a circular hole in it. It
was taped-off so I presume that was the real entry-point of the
meteorite fragment. I'm wondering how deep it is and whether they'll
be able to locate it?

Chris L Peterson:
Nothing has been found. I think there are probably better explanations
for the hole than a meteorite fragment.

A breathing hole for the Loch Cherbakul Monster? An ice-fishing hole
for Pavel Bunyanovich?

The Huffington Post UK reported this morning that divers have found [a
piece of] the meteorite at a depth of 10 meters in Lake Cherbakul. The
article also reports that soldiers found a six-meter fragment of the
meteorite on the lake's shore. I have seen no independent confirmation
of these reports.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old February 17th 13, 04:52 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 08:56:17 -0500, Davoud wrote:

The Huffington Post UK reported this morning that divers have found [a
piece of] the meteorite at a depth of 10 meters in Lake Cherbakul. The
article also reports that soldiers found a six-meter fragment of the
meteorite on the lake's shore. I have seen no independent confirmation
of these reports.

Me either. Reports out of Russia are always problematic, given the
credulous nature of so much of its population. Everything is made more
difficult by the difficulty involved in foreigners being allowed into
this area.

The last I've heard is that no meteorites have been recovered yet, and
the Russian military has given up looking in Lake Cherbakul, and
claims the hole was made by something else. Certainly, holes in open
ice are not uncommon- warm convection currents, gas bubbles, and other
things create and maintain them.

It is quite remarkable that no meteorites have been recovered, given
the size of this event. Fireballs of this sort typically produce
large, obvious strewnfields.
Old February 17th 13, 06:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

I've now seen a few videos out of Russia showing what appear to be
centimeter sized stones with fresh fusion crusts, which look a lot
like chondrites. These were found in a village east of Chelyabinsk,
and appear authentic.

It's likely that much more will be found in a couple of months, when
the snow melts.
Old February 19th 13, 03:28 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_1_]

On Feb 17, 8:56*am, Davoud wrote:
RichA:

They showed on the news a frozen lake with a circular hole in it. *It
was taped-off so I presume that was the real entry-point of the
meteorite fragment. *I'm wondering how deep it is and whether they'll
be able to locate it?

Chris L Peterson:

Nothing has been found. I think there are probably better explanations
for the hole than a meteorite fragment.

A breathing hole for the Loch Cherbakul Monster? An ice-fishing hole
for Pavel Bunyanovich?

The Huffington Post UK reported this morning that divers have found [a
piece of] the meteorite at a depth of 10 meters in Lake Cherbakul. The
article also reports that soldiers found a six-meter fragment of the
meteorite on the lake's shore. I have seen no independent confirmation
of these reports.

I like how KGB Putin called out 20,000 troops to clean-up broken
glass.
Old February 19th 13, 05:52 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 19:28:00 -0800 (PST), RichA
wrote:

I like how KGB Putin called out 20,000 troops to clean-up broken
glass.

You don't think it qualifies as a national emergency when half the
buildings are missing their glass in a region that routinely dips to
-20°C at night?

Putin may be a corrupt despot, but I think this was the right call.

Arizona Tempe Lake Dam Busted and lake draining Warhol[_1_] Misc 0 July 22nd 10 11:06 PM
Titan's lake? tontoko Misc 0 July 9th 05 02:02 PM
Titan's lake? tontoko Astronomy Misc 1 July 7th 05 07:51 AM
Lake on Titan? RichA Amateur Astronomy 0 June 29th 05 06:51 AM
Ice Lake on Mars [email protected] Science 0 March 2nd 05 07:24 PM