Runaway Global Warming Possible!

Old January 27th 05, 07:15 PM
ošin

OK, we'll put you in charge of relocating Bangla Desh.

A one meter rise over 100 years... is that so hard?

Old January 27th 05, 07:33 PM
BillC

Good. Then it will be warmer. I was worried about global cooling (ice age).

Old January 27th 05, 07:34 PM
The Ancient One

"Lloyd Parker" wrote in message
"The Ancient One" wrote:

"Mike Rhino" wrote in message
news
"Uncle Al" wrote in message
Thomas Lee Elifritz wrote:
[snip crap]

Tell it to New England.

There is a difference between amount of snow and temperature. Lots of
snow
does not contradict global warming. It's just one place and one week.
The
overall average temperature could still go up.

This was the first year since record keeping began in 1870 that

Indianapolis
made it through the entire year without reaching 90F even once. ;-)

So Indianapolis is now the entire globe? Wow.

Learn some science Lloyd, You've been shot down every time you've reared
your scaly head. Don't make me call Emory again.

Old January 27th 05, 07:38 PM
BillC

"ošin" wrote in message
52.5 F.

That is an average over what period?

1971-2000. The standard averaging period is the last 30 years ending in
0.

So based on a record of 30 years, you can say what is normal?

No, he can't, it's too short a period. And a more intelligent consideration,
even within just 30 years of data, would be how many standard deviations
from average is what he's claiming as an anomalous year.

Old January 27th 05, 07:42 PM
The Ancient One

"Harold Brooks" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...

"Harold Brooks" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...
This was the first year since record keeping began in 1870 that
Indianapolis
made it through the entire year without reaching 90F even once. ;-)

And still managed to average 1 F above normal for the year.

What is normal for the year?

52.5 F.

That is an average over what period?

1971-2000. The standard averaging period is the last 30 years ending in
0.

Harold

Interesting that during the 70's and 80's it was below normal
temperatures here, don't suppose that could have anything to do with it
though.
In fact during the 70's it was so cold Globally that NOAA scientists
said we were heading into another ice age, and wanted to dust down the polar
ice caps with ash to melt them and avert the catastophe that they were
positive was coming, with millions of people starving to death when it
became to cold to grow crops in the USA. I used to have the link to the
article but lost it in a computer crash.
Now it warms up one or two degrees and they reverse themselves, now it's
Global Warming instead of cooling, and they are still predicting
catastrophes. Ignore them, and I predict in another 30 years the Climate
will still be about the same, fluctuating up and down as it always has.
Some people just aren't happy unless they are worried about something, I
won't worry about this, whatever it does it will seem normal at the time,
and life will continue as normal.

Old January 27th 05, 07:54 PM
Coby Beck

"tadchem" wrote in message
oups.com...

Paul Blay wrote:
There is a working hypothesis on which many studies have been done
that effects of climate change (especially 'global warming') to date
and as predicted to proceed from now have already had and will

continue
to have significant negative impact over and above any positive

effect.

You write of "a working hypothesis ... that effects of climate change
... have already had and will continue to have significant negative
impact over and above any positive effect".

That is not good science - it is religion. I would expect something

You have not presented any reason to say such a thing. Doesn't it depend on
the observational support your hypothesis has?

A good working hypothesis is unbiased.

Yes. So where is your evidence that the hypothesis you characterize as
religious is not unbiased?

What is needed is a "working hypothesis" that seeks to quantify the
effects of climate change *without* the built-in prejudice that
specific impacts are either negative or positive.

Who disagrees?

Every species that becomes extinct opens up an ecological niche into
which another species may evolve.

Again your problem is ignoring the time scales. Extinctions are happening
over decades. Evolving into a new niche requires much more time.

Change is inevitable; resist it at your own peril.

I agree heartily. Let's change our social and economic dependence on
unsustainable and self-destructive usages of fossil fuels.

--
Coby Beck
(remove #\Space "coby 101 @ big pond . com")

Old January 27th 05, 08:01 PM
Coby Beck

"ošin" wrote in message
52.5 F.

That is an average over what period?

1971-2000. The standard averaging period is the last 30 years ending in
0.

So based on a record of 30 years, you can say what is normal?

Doesn't it make a bit more sense than checking the highest temperature
reached all year? What would be a convincing method for you? Devise it,
check it out and let us know what the temperature trend is in Indianapolis
(and how you arrived at it, please).

Old January 27th 05, 08:04 PM
ošin

Change is inevitable; resist it at your own peril.

I agree heartily. Let's change our social and economic dependence on
unsustainable and self-destructive usages of fossil fuels.

How?