Go we Must

Old December 3rd 03, 03:05 PM
Starlord

Default Go we Must

Almost everyday, I see someplace either a post or I hear someone talking or a
artical in a newspaper saying that instead of using the shuttle and having a ISS
that all we need to do is send a robot.

We have sent robots to Mars, to the moon, and even to venus, but they are
limited by their programing. Sure we had a lander on mars that was controled
from earth and for what it was programed to do, it did fine for the time that it
worked. But even it was limited to what it could do, it only had a camera and
some small testing gear package.

Now think about our History, no one knows how many men where lost on the long
trips, how many have been lost to the Oceans of the world? ( That STILL Goes
On), what is the total of plane crashs that have taken life? and that hasn't
kept planes of all kinds from flying to this very day.

Do we just sit on this mudball and send up nothing but robots that do only a
"Little" of what could be done? or do we grab our bootstraps, and face danger in
the face and get up into space and push our knowage ahead?

For me the answer is simple, I always have and always will support NASA and the
Men / womens who face death in the face and still walk the path of the unknown.
It's going to be a long hard road mankind has to walk, but if mankind is going
to go to the Stars someday, before our own sun makes the Earth another Mars and
life ends here, then we have to puch onward and outward.

Some complain about the money NASA spends, which amounts to nothing more than
about 1/10 of 1% of the total budget of the USA, they spend more on building
fancy wepons that they give to NASA.

If the nations of the world would get along and help fund the reaching to space,
instead of building/buying more arms, we could move forward at a better rate
than we are now.

For you robot only people, why not design a robot who could fix and eat all your
meals for you, think of all the weight and other troubles you'd not have then.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Ad World
http://adworld.netfirms.com

---

Old December 3rd 03, 08:29 PM
Starlord

"kevin" wrote in message
news:20031203154032.0428e3f0.kev433424@sneakemail. com...
On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 07:05:14 -0800
"Starlord" wrote:

Yep...why not.....no one gets hurt or killed...

Why not just throw a bottle with a note in it into space and see if anyone
answers it?

They are only limited by our technology, as our technology improves then
so the robots will improve...

They are still only robots who can NOT THINK beyound their programing. That
limits what they can do.

There was a difference when sailing and exploring the seas, there was money
to be had, new peoples to find and kill and enslave.....a plane crash and
its subsequent loss in revenue etc etc is a pittance compared to the
ultra billions that a space shuttle crash costs....

The first men to use even a log to float out to sea was long before MONEY was
ever inveted.

Do we just sit on this mudball and send up nothing but robots that do only a
"Little" of what could be done? or do we grab our bootstraps, and face

danger in
the face and get up into space and push our knowage ahead?

Yes why not.....theres nothing on Mars that we dont already have down here
on Earth, so what the heck is the point of putting peoples lives at risk
in sending them to Mars. And remember, sending humans to Mars with our
current technology would almost certainly lead to death by solar radiation
and the like, even if they got back to earth alright they would still
probably die prematurely due to radiation overdose......DO you want to
be the one to go??, if you want to kill yourself thats fine by me...

This is just like those who stick their head into the ground and don't look
ahead. This world of ours will not last forever, nor will everything we use
everyday last forever.

Facing death is one thing. but facing death needlesly when there is no
real need to jeopordise peoples lives is tantamount to MURDER.....

The murder is caused by those who can't see beyound their own nose and fear
anything else.
Yet, they think nothing of getting into their cars and going out someplace and
they take a chance of killing someone everytime they do that. Maybe they should
be arrested for murder.

Some complain about the money NASA spends, which amounts to nothing more

than
about 1/10 of 1% of the total budget of the USA, they spend more on building
fancy wepons that they give to NASA.

That money, if not wasted on the ISS and space shuttle could be put to better
use building the next generation of space telescopes etc etc, look at the data
and discoveries that Hubble has produced, now imagine what could be found out
there if we had a dozen or so Hubble's in orbit all looking for something
different, what is the current waiting time to get observing time on the
ONE Hubble??, years I expect.....

This is funny, even with 100 Hubbles in orbit, they still would NOT tell us
about any earth type planets around other stars. They would proved us with
nothing in the way of replacing the oil that we're using up so fast.

If the nations of the world would get along and help fund the reaching to

space,
instead of building/buying more arms, we could move forward at a better rate
than we are now.

You need a clear objective and there isnt one. Apollo had a clear objective,

it
was political and aimed to soley beat the Russians to the Moon. There was no
other reason for Apollo, just like there is no real reason to send anything
other than robotic probes out into space..

Apollo was NOTHING more than a massive PR stunt, and it gave us very little in
return, in fact only ONE mission had any real aims at doing real Sci.-work and
that was the very LAST mission.

We need to go beyound what we've done, and your answers show that you're willing
to go ahead and keep the wars going, right up to the time that the Human race is
doomed on a dieing Earth, which will happen and our own sun is the killer, that
is if we don't do it first.

For you robot only people, why not design a robot who could fix and eat all

your
meals for you, think of all the weight and other troubles you'd not have

then.

As I said above, we are only limited by our current technology, once

technology
improves and we have learnt a bit(hopefully) then maybe people can and should
venture out into space, but at this time, and as far as I can see for the
foreseable future there is no need to send people into space and risk their
lives needlesly.

There IS a need and only by taking the steps on a long road that has many
dangers on it will mankind ever leave this world and find new ones out there and
I'm not just talking about in our own solar system, I'm talking about mankind
reaching out to the far byond, out to where we can only dream about now.

When we do leave this world, long after I'm gone and you too, I can only hope
that those that are like you, are left behind, so that they can watch the last
days of the life on Planet Earth, which will then be 100 times worst than mars
is now.

---

Old December 3rd 03, 10:25 PM
The Ancient One

"Starlord" wrote:

Almost everyday, I see someplace either a post or I hear someone talking

or a
artical in a newspaper saying that instead of using the shuttle and

having a ISS
that all we need to do is send a robot.

Yep...why not.....no one gets hurt or killed...

You are a coward Kevin. Starlord, I'm with you here, given a chance I would
leave for Mars tomorrow and take my chances. The only real difference
between now and the past is that spaceships are harder to build and far more
scarce than sailing ships were.

Old December 3rd 03, 10:46 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Kevin It takes a no brain coward to call another person a coward by
computer. 113 flights of the shuttles and killing 14 brave astronauts
means something needs fixing. It is easy to "sound" brave when you know
your ass is safe. The true heroes in this world don't call anyone a
coward,nor do they brag how brave they could be. Bert

Old December 3rd 03, 11:36 PM
Starlord

I've got BIG NEWS for you, I've been around for a LONG time, I watched Echo I &
II fly overhead, I watched the 1st Vanguard get blown to bits right on the pad.
I used to hear the testing of the Saturn V F1 engines up in the pass between
L.A. & Semi.

I was glued to the B/W tv we had during the first sub-orbit flight with a man
onboard. I lived NEXT door to Cal-Tech during the Apollo-11 mission.

Before my time? HaHaHa, this Disablied Vietnam Vet was most likly around before
you where even born.

I can even remember the city of Los Angeles BEFORE FREEWAYS.

You just don't get it do you. Sometime in the far past of mankind, a man looked
at an island or maybe saw the fish, who knows why, but that man found himself a
log that would float and off across the water he went. Did he WAIT until someone
else came up with a better idea?

NO, and we have no real idea of just how many died over those centruys. Heck,
look at the ships we have now-a-days, bigger than whole city blocks, carrying
tons of goods and/or oil and also look at what happens, THEY STILL SINK.

You are a do nothing, you would rather spend money on building better wepons of
war, you would rather pay it safe by not taking any chances at all, ( yet you
take a very BIG chance of being killed everytime you get up out of bed ).

You are less than a coward, for a coward can and will at times face up and do
what must be done, you are even less than that.

We have already started, in July 1969 Mankind put his first foot on the long
road to the stars, and NO VENTRUE of man has ever been done that didn't sooner
or later cost some men their lives, this road we have now stepped on is full of
dangers, but by staying on it and fighting for every step we take, we'll make
it, not by just sending robots out there, but by getting into some kind of craft
and blasting off of this world to walk on other worlds.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning
lingered: and along the path he once had followed, man would one day go
again."

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Ad World
http://adworld.netfirms.com

"kevin" wrote in message
news:20031203214411.43fd0b5d.kev433424@sneakemail. com...

---

Old December 4th 03, 01:59 AM
Douglas A. Shrader

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
Kevin It takes a no brain coward to call another person a coward by
computer.

Why Bert, you just called someone a coward by computer, so by your own
definition, well, you know.

Old December 4th 03, 02:10 AM
Starlord

I'd lay odds that your happy to send troops over seas to fight in a faked war
and to lose lives, that puts you into the very same boat that you've TRIED ( and
failed ) to place me.

We can build all the fancy machines to do a lot of work, but in the very end, it
still takes a HUMAN to push the limits and to reach for the unreachable star.

Machines can not do everything. Do you buy airplane tickets? Train tickets? boat
tickets? If so they your asking people to put their lives on the line to move
you from one place to another.

But go ahead and object all you want, for thankfully, there are a whole lot more
people like me that there are ones like you.

And I see a good number of those folks on their way home after they leave work
on Edwards AFB and the NASA projects there.

In my book, you ARE a do nothing.

Old December 4th 03, 02:29 AM
Starlord

Before I send you to the killfile I'll say one more thing to you,

1. I do not spend my time watching Star Trek, it's nothing but re-hashed
storylines from the older shows.

2. Being a Sci-Fi fan just adds fuel to the fires that burn in me to see mankind
reach for the stars.

3. If there had been more people like you around, then most likly there would
never have been men who put forth in wooden ships powered by sails to cross the
oceans of the Earth.

4. Talk to some of the people who've gone into space, ask them if we should just
stay on earth and do nothing, find out how many of them have been sci-fi fans,
how many watched Star Trek, Babylon 5, or any of the other sci-fi shows, how
many of them, like me have been Model Rocketeers, how many of them like me have
been or still are am. astronomers.

I'll also tell you this, I've seen the awefull face of war and I've looked Death
in the eye and walked away.

I would rather see the money that's being spent on weapons ( 30% of national
budget ) be turned over to NASA who's budget amounts to only 1/10th of 1% of the
national budget. Then we could built a true space station, put a base on the
moon, on Mars, start mining the astro.belt, do research into crafts that could
take mankind to the very stars themselves.

Oh ya, BTW, even now a days, for every dollar NASA gets, only 10cents worth is
lost in hardware that goes into space. The other 90cents goes right down the
spending chain, right down to the man who pushs a broom and mop in some companys
office.

You will never be able to change my mind and thankfully, there's lots more out
there who think as I do.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning
lingered: and along the path he once had followed, man would one day go
again."

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Ad World
http://adworld.netfirms.com

"kevin" wrote in message
news:20031203234906.121e2e91.kev433424@sneakemail. com...
On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 15:37:43 -0800
"Starlord" wrote:

This Kevin is not even as good as a coward. He's nothing but a TROLL.

Now I know you have lost the plot, if ever you had it of course.

May I sugest a little less Star Trek watching.

---

Old December 4th 03, 03:13 AM
Douglas A. Shrader

"Starlord" wrote in message
I'd lay odds that your happy to send troops over seas to fight in a faked

war
and to lose lives, that puts you into the very same boat that you've TRIED

( and
failed ) to place me.

We can build all the fancy machines to do a lot of work, but in the very

end, it
still takes a HUMAN to push the limits and to reach for the unreachable

star.

Machines can not do everything.

Quite right. I've worked construction for many years, and even though
machines do most of the work, you still need a man with a shovel to finish
the job.