Are we a space faring nation or not!?

Old July 6th 10, 03:21 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Michael Gallagher

Default Are we a space faring nation or not!?

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 18:31:11 -0400, "John M" wrote:

....The Air Force has clearly recognized that unmanned is their future ....

Assuming the Air Force never takes an interest in a "miltary version"
Boeing's CST-100. But they already run the pads that the 100's likely
launch vehicles launch from anyway,and they have a histor of trying
for their own manned program, so it's not that big a leap for the
USAF to get back into a manned program. All they need is a general
with some pulll to like that idea. That'll be after the CST-100 has
started flying, of course.

....The longer term
the project, the less chance for success.

That's my problem: Why do they have to be long term at all? They
should be quicker than that!

"I am not A big, fat panda. I am THE big, fat panda" -- Po, Kung Fu Panda
Old July 6th 10, 05:23 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Quadibloc

On Jul 3, 7:18*pm, Quadibloc wrote:

No such reason exists today. An American on Mars will not dampen the
ability of al-Qaeda to recruit one bit.

In this connection, I saw this in today's news:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...tions-muslims/

I am hoping that Fox News somewhat slanted the story, and President
Obama is not, in fact, tasking NASA (among who knows what other
government departments?) with this duty to the extent indicated.

John Savard
Old July 7th 10, 02:01 AM posted to sci.space.policy
John M[_2_]

"Brad Guth" wrote in message

I can't tell if you and Mook are just joking around. What's your
plan?

~ BG

My plan? Well, I came to the conclusion long ago that like
a large statistical sample best shows the underlying patterns
then the grander the plan, the better chance for success.

Given that assumption, my plan since coming here has been
nothing less that to single-handed, if needed, bring Heaven
to Earth, so that humanity can spend eternity swimming in
beauty.

I can't think of any goal more ambitious. So it must be the easiest
to discern and accomplish.

Reduced, the goal becomes to find the most practical and likely
way to enable a Utopian future to emerge.

Limitless energy means limitless potential, in keeping with the
Trekkian dreams of 'di-lithium' fueled social justice and
endless exploration.

Reduced, the goal becomes to provide the inhabitants of the Earth
an entirely endless and completely clean source of energy
which can be accessed anywhere and by everyone...equally.
So that we become limited only by our minds, not matter.

There is only...ONE SOURCE...of energy which can do ALL THAT!
Space Solar Power.

Reduced, this means our space policy must 'Go back to the Future'.
Drop the corrupt Vision of returning to the Moon, with the previously
established policy of pursuing Space Solar Power with all haste.

It should be pointed out, this grossly ambitious plan is already
half accomplished. While the other half, of seeing SSP become
the next national space goal, is currently drifting in the various
trends which could make it happen.

Trends like a constantly spreading appreciation of global warming.
Trends like ever higher prices of conventional energy.
Like the increasing revulsion over pollution from burning
and ...spilling fossil fuels.
Like the wars over oil we all know are happening now
and will only get worse.
Like the ever growing need for energy with low carbon footprints.
Like the need for energy in rural and impoverished regions.

As far as the second half of the plan, I'd say things will take
care of themselves pretty well from here on out.

Jonathan

Old July 7th 10, 02:17 AM posted to sci.space.policy
John M[_2_]

"Michael Gallagher" wrote in message
On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 18:31:11 -0400, "John M" wrote:

....The Air Force has clearly recognized that unmanned is their future

Assuming the Air Force never takes an interest in a "miltary version"
Boeing's CST-100. But they already run the pads that the 100's likely
launch vehicles launch from anyway,and they have a histor of trying
for their own manned program, so it's not that big a leap for the
USAF to get back into a manned program. All they need is a general
with some pulll to like that idea. That'll be after the CST-100 has
started flying, of course.

I think Boeing's new Phantom Ray is the wave of the future for air combat.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37158137...ce-innovation/

Old July 7th 10, 07:43 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 7/5/2010 2:31 PM, John M wrote:

The Air Force has clearly recognized that unmanned is their future.
It's time NASA admitted the same. I've got nothing against the
ISS, but mining operations on the Moon and asteroids is just plain
idiotic. How much would it cost, and how long would it take to
build a factory beyond low orbit? Too much.

Oh, the military would be back into manned space in a minute if someone
threw the money at them to do it.
Remember "Hot Eagle" and SUSTAIN?:
http://defensetech.org/2005/09/19/ma...in-spaaaaaace/

Pat
Old July 7th 10, 07:51 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 7/6/2010 5:01 PM, John M wrote:

Given that assumption, my plan since coming here has been
nothing less that to single-handed, if needed, bring Heaven
to Earth, so that humanity can spend eternity swimming in
beauty.

Heaven came to earth 65 million years ago at the end of the Cretaceous
era...it wasn't a pretty sight, although the dinosaurs in the southern
US got to go swimming in a boiling hot tidal wave. :-)

Pat
Old July 7th 10, 12:44 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Given that assumption, my plan since coming here has been
nothing less that to single-handed, if needed, bring Heaven
to Earth, so that humanity can spend eternity swimming in
beauty.

Heaven came to earth 65 million years ago at the end of the Cretaceous
era...it wasn't a pretty sight, although the dinosaurs in the southern
US got to go swimming in a boiling hot tidal wave. :-)

Pat

and december 21st 2012 another of its realtives will be coming for a
eart shattering visit

Old July 10th 10, 04:16 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Jul 6, 6:01*pm, "John M" wrote:
"Brad Guth" wrote in message

[...]

Our nearby zero delta-V of the Earth-moon L1 (Selene L1) is 97% solar
illuminated (100% if there's a sufficient halo orbit established). A
tethered element can safely reach a platform of emf/photon
transmitters to within 2r of Earth.

Of course the tether dipole energy itself is going to be substantial.

Are you going to suggest that location is useless?

~ BG
Old July 10th 10, 04:27 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

I think Boeing's new Phantom Ray is the wave of the future for air combat..http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37158137...science-innova...

....The longer term
the project, the less chance for success.

That's my problem: *Why do they have to be long term at all? *They
should be quicker than that!

"I am not A big, fat panda. *I am THE big, fat panda" -- Po, Kung Fu Panda

Even when we're dead or soon to be, these Phantom Ray units will
remain programmed for killing off as much humanity as technically
possible. LEO nukes will also be available and fully automated in
case their contact with command is terminated.

~ BG

~ BG