Jupiter, 4 moons and little ones (?) visible at night fromNetherlands 50x optical zoom camera 200x digital.

Old July 22nd 20, 02:50 AM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

Default Jupiter, 4 moons and little ones (?) visible at night fromNetherlands 50x optical zoom camera 200x digital.

Hello,

I've been seeing this big white ball of light at night. Today I saw it like for the 5th or 20th time and decided it was time to figure out what it was..

I heard about some kind of comet passing by but haven't seen it.

I figured as much it's either jupiter or a plane.

But in this case I was kinda amazed that I could also see 4 moons.

On closer inspection of one of the pictures it seems that maybe some other tinier moons are also visible at the "bottom" of jupiter ?!?

I am not sure if these are real moons or jpeg artifacts.

I think the position of jupiter, earth and the sun was such that jupiter and moons received maximum light from the sun and reflected back to earth/netherlands pretty good so it's a little bit special maybe not too special, but special enough to warrent a few fotos and some videos.

I know my camera (cannon powershot hs sx 50) also has "RAW" mode... maybe tomorrow I try again and avoid jpec compression to avoid any jpeg artificats..

Let me know your thoughts on "little ones" visible or not on that picture.

Here are the links:

Folder:

http://www.skybuck.org/Media/Pictures/Jupiter/

Pictures:

http://www.skybuck.org/Media/Picture...bleAnymore.JPG

http://www.skybuck.org/Media/Picture...bleAnymore.JPG

I think now jupiter/earth/sun moved such that it's now less bright so won't continue the raw experiment for now, but maybe tomorrow.

Anyway enjoy the pictures. The one with the little ones visible too was taking a bit earlier than the other one... the other one kinda looks nice too.

I am quite amazed/kinda surprised that it's so visible and vieweable with a consumer camera =D

I think I have seen it before with my camera but not sure ! =D

At least now it's documented ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D
Old July 22nd 20, 03:29 AM posted to alt.astronomy
palsing[_2_]

On Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 6:50:41 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Almost certainly Jupiter, not really much question about it...
Old July 22nd 20, 07:18 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Daniel65

wrote on 22/07/2020 11:50 AM:
[...]

The four biggest/brightest moons of Jupiter are known as "the Galilean
moons" discovered by *Galileo Galilei* in 1610. These are what you were
seeing!

Looking at the chart at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter , the four
of them rotate around Jupiter fairly fast (between 1.77 and 16.69 days),
so it would seem that one of the big four may have been in front of or
behind Jupiter when you could only see three of them!
--
Daniel
Old July 22nd 20, 12:22 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Porcospino[_2_]

Old July 23rd 20, 02:59 AM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

On 2020-07-22, wrote:
snip

Definitely Jupiter with its four main moons. In case you're interested
these should be the relative positions at the time you took the picture
(screenshot from a planetarium software called Stellarium):
https://i.imgur.com/0cTgNan.png

OH WOW !

Great tip !

I just took some new pictures of jupiter and it perfectly matches the online version of this softwa

https://stellarium-web.org/

Amazing to see how fast these moons rotate around jupiter.

All 4 of them now on the left side ! HAHA.

Also even the colors matches somewhat !

GREAT SOFTWARE ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old July 23rd 20, 03:11 AM posted to alt.astronomy
[email protected]

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 8:19:03 AM UTC+2, Daniel65 wrote:
wrote on 22/07/2020 11:50 AM:
[...]

THERE ARE 4 LIGHTS ! LOL.

Seriously though all 4 moons are visible, if you can't see them your monitor settings are too dark, bad monitor or something wrong with your eyes ! =D

Just saying.

Bye,
Skybuck =D
Old July 23rd 20, 10:48 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Daniel65

wrote on 22/07/2020 11:50 AM:
[...]

I just had to go back and check! You're right, the four Galilean Moons
are showing, but in the Jupiter4MoonsLittleOnesNotVisibleAnymore.JPG
picture, I see the outer moon is so much dimmer than in the other picture!
--
Daniel